Diesel Choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
    Ok, why in the Hell did Ram build the 2500 Power wagon and then limit the towing compacity to less than some half ton trucks. Makes not sense. It comes with the 6.4 hemi but sucks pulling weight. Also the front seat only comes with a fold down bench rest seat and no center console. Great looking truck other than that.
    It's meant to be an offroader. When they designed the suspension, they put in softer springs to aid articulation, put on an electronic sway bar disconnect, and didn't do progressive springs (Like the Ford Temor Package), which limited the PW towing capacity. But the PW will do off road far better than any other big truck out there.

The Power Wagon is awesome. But it has its limits. The Tremor is a better day to day ride.

Comment

Like our 2021 Duramax,the Allison tranny is nice

Comment

Diesel Choices

Mitch, for what you are looking to do the 7.3 Ford gas motor with the 10 speed transmission, is the way to go. It’s going to ride like ****, it’s loud, and it’s a ford interior…but that engine/trans is bad ***. I have one in a 550 at the shop, and a good friend of mine has one in a 250 he pulls his 5th wheel with.

I’m a Chevrolet guy and I love my current truck (‘17 Duramax), but until they put a decent transmission behind their gas motors, I would not own one personally. I’ve got one that my fireplace guys drive, and it’s been fine so far… But it’s not as stout as that Ford set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Dale Moser; 01-25-2022, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Last year I hauled a 32' load of cattle in a friend of mines 6.7 Ford. It pulled them as fast as I wanted to go. Never even shifted on hills it just ran like a deer.

I was so impressed I went and bought a new 21 6.7. It's incredible the power that thing has. It will flat run away with a heavy load.

I also have a 6.7 Dodge. It is a pulling machine as well but it just does it a lot slower than the Ford.

I've had zero trouble out of each of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            Mitch, for what you are looking to do the 7.3 Ford gas motor with the 10 speed transmission, is the way to go. It’s going to ride like ****, it’s loud, and it’s a ford interior…but that engine/trans is bad ***. I have one in a 550 at the shop, and a good friend of mine has one in a 250 he pulls his 5th wheel with.

I’m a Chevrolet guy and I love my current truck (‘17 Duramax), but until they put a decent transmission behind their gas motors, I would not own one personally. I’ve got one that my fireplace guys drive, and it’s been fine so far… But it’s not as stout as that Ford set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Have to disagree with you on the ride, noise and interior. Nothing wrong sith the ride on my 2020 F350. Smoother than my wifes F150. No road noise from mine and the interior to me fine. Not sure why you said these are problems?

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
              Have to disagree with you on the ride, noise and interior. Nothing wrong sith the ride on my 2020 F350. Smoother than my wifes F150. No road noise from mine and the interior to me fine. Not sure why you said these are problems?
              My buddy's F250 rides like ****, the engine noise drowns out the road noise, and ford interiors have always sucked, imo. I'm not sayin I'd never own one, but those were my impressions of the truck. I don't like the seats (his has cloth ftr), the radio/nav setup is ok, hate the dash/info setup.

It has always ****** me off when driving a ford, that they don't put numbers on the **** guages....and I realize that's a dumb thing to be irritated by.
              Last edited by Dale Moser; 01-25-2022, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                My buddy's F250 rides like ****, the engine noise drowns out the road noise, and ford interiors have always sucked, imo. I'm not sayin I'd never own one, but those were my impressions of the truck. I don't like the seats (his has cloth ftr), the radio/nav setup is ok, hate the dash/info setup.

It has always ****** me off when driving a ford, that they don't put numbers on the **** guages....and I realize that's a dumb thing to be irritated by.
                I put Marathon seat covers on mine and I navigate with my I-phone and keep the radio on Sirius 99.99% of the time. My F350 is not fancy by any means, the STX pkg only. Maybe mine being an F350 makes a difference on the ride and like I said, the noise level driving is not a problem with mine. I will say this about the ride, it will beat you to death on washboard roads. The suspension on this truck is stiff but not a problem on the hwy.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                  You tried the 7.3 gas engine yet? Always like to hear peoples opinion that has had as many diesels as you.
                  I haven't tried it. My neighbor has one and says it pulls his camper nearly has well as his powerstroke did with more throttle though. Said it gets about 7mpg towing it. His camper isn't very big.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                    2012 6.7 with 390k and just replaced the turbo. That's the only major issue I've had so far. Maybe I'm the exception. If so, I'm glad I am!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
                    Definitely are, especially with a 2012. They fixed a lot of the issues in 2015. I has a 2014 lariat. Loved the truck, but too many problems. Same with the company 6.7 power strokes I've had. We got a 2020 f350 dually at the ranch that my gramps and I use to pull the skid steer, tractor, stock trailer, etc. It doesn't pull as good as my 2018 dodge 1 ton did, but it rides and drives way better. He trades trucks before they go out of warranty, so I'm not worried about the longevity of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                      Definitely are, especially with a 2012. They fixed a lot of the issues in 2015. I has a 2014 lariat. Loved the truck, but too many problems. Same with the company 6.7 power strokes I've had. We got a 2020 f350 dually at the ranch that my gramps and I use to pull the skid steer, tractor, stock trailer, etc. It doesn't pull as good as my 2018 dodge 1 ton did, but it rides and drives way better. He trades trucks before they go out of warranty, so I'm not worried about the longevity of it.
                      Well I spoke too soon I guess. It's had an oil drip for awhile. But it's always been an ever so slight drip. Occasional spot or two on the driveway. I keep a small amount of kitty litter down and change it every so often. Well, that drip just turned into a full out leak. Pretty large area on the drive the last several days. I can't tell where it's coming from. Looks like the back of engine. Could be oil pan. It has the plastic lower pan. When I had the turbo done, the mechanic said the small drip looked like it was from there. He recommends replacing with aftermarket metal pan. I'll be taking it to him this week to see what's up. I guess at 390k I should expect these things.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                        Well I spoke too soon I guess. It's had an oil drip for awhile. But it's always been an ever so slight drip. Occasional spot or two on the driveway. I keep a small amount of kitty litter down and change it every so often. Well, that drip just turned into a full out leak. Pretty large area on the drive the last several days. I can't tell where it's coming from. Looks like the back of engine. Could be oil pan. It has the plastic lower pan. When I had the turbo done, the mechanic said the small drip looked like it was from there. He recommends replacing with aftermarket metal pan. I'll be taking it to him this week to see what's up. I guess at 390k I should expect these things.

I've heard that its the seal on the oil pan that lets go, and it a giant pain. On my 2012, I have an ever so slight leak (It doesn't drip on the ground yet) on my heat exchanger next to the oil pan. You might check there too.

Either way, after 100k, I expect both of these issues. I still haven't done injectors yet, meanwhile a family member had to do his on his Dmax at 130k.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                          I've heard that its the seal on the oil pan that lets go, and it a giant pain. On my 2012, I have an ever so slight leak (It doesn't drip on the ground yet) on my heat exchanger next to the oil pan. You might check there too.

Either way, after 100k, I expect both of these issues. I still haven't done injectors yet, meanwhile a family member had to do his on his Dmax at 130k.
                          I guess there's 2 pans, an upper and a lower? Mechanic said if it's the lower is not to bad but the upper I believe he said is a cab off job. I may be mistaken tho. He have been talking about the newer models. Not sure.

Comment

It would be Ram Cummins for me. Once you delete it, tune it, and change rear gears…she will eat and get decent fuel economy.

Comment

Originally posted by ToRqUeTwIsTeR View Post
                              It would be Ram Cummins for me. Once you delete it, tune it, and change rear gears…she will eat and get decent fuel economy.
                              It would take all that to make it run like a stock Powerstroke...

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                                It would take all that to make it run like a stock Powerstroke...
                                And would still sound terrible

Comment

Working...
                                X