No announcement yet.

2022 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions. We’ve been experiencing a lot of high winds here lately. Should I hold off transplanting my seedlings until it calms down some or can they handle it? I’m trying my best not to be impatient but it’s hard.
    Also, there are a few nights in the near future that will be getting down in the mid 40’s but will be getting back up into the 70’s and 80’s during the day, is it safe to put out my tomato and pepper seedlings?
    This is my first time raising seedlings.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
      Questions. We’ve been experiencing a lot of high winds here lately. Should I hold off transplanting my seedlings until it calms down some or can they handle it? I’m trying my best not to be impatient but it’s hard.
      Also, there are a few nights in the near future that will be getting down in the mid 40’s but will be getting back up into the 70’s and 80’s during the day, is it safe to put out my tomato and pepper seedlings?
      I haven’t had a garden in a couple of years but when I did I always had plenty of one gallon bucks with the bottoms cut out for my seedlings. That would protect them from high wind untill they were stronger. Cans with the bottom cut out were good too.

Comment

We set ours out this evening. Crossing our fingers for the couple cold days forecasted after Easter. We'll cover them, if it looks like it may frost.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
          I haven’t had a garden in a couple of years but when I did I always had plenty of one gallon bucks with the bottoms cut out for my seedlings. That would protect them from high wind untill they were stronger. Cans with the bottom cut out were good too.
          That’s a good idea,thanks.

Comment

put a fan on low for a few hours a day on them.

Comment

I've had an aphid invasion that has done a number on mine in recent days. I have ordered live ladybugs that should be here in a few days. Hopefully that will help.

Comment

We are off to an ok start. Like always a little behind. Had some poor germination for some reason probably lack of water. But here are a few pics of the garden thus far… never mind the weeds.

I had to replant a good bit of seed and on top of that my tiller blew up, harbor freight to the rescue swapped the old motor for a new predator 212cc and boy does she purrr now.

Now the battle is on with ants and nut grass…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My garden is doing well. Been eating the lettuces for a couple weeks and pulled off the first zuchinis today. Also been using the herbs as well. Last year was pretty much a disaster so this is a nice change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^^Thats a big arse garden!!

Comment

Man that’s some tremendous growth rtp.

Comment

Bag garden is gettin' after it! Hilled the taters twice. Most tater bags only have room for one more hilling (Hilling meaning just adding more bag soil to the bags covering up the tater tops as best I can.) Squash, zucch's, and leafy veggies really coming along nicely. I'm especially liking this Chinee cabbage (Bok Choi or something like that...) Peppers are now starting to kick it in high gear and cukes starting to put out runners... will train them to run on the fence for now. Just about finished with the automatic watering system so that will make life MUCH easier once that's done. Hope to complete that by this coming weekend.
                        But most exciting to me is we finally got to plant the in-the-ground stuff!! Planted sweet corn, top pick pink eyes (purple hull peas), couple rows of pole beans, more okra (have some Jambalaya okra in bags that's doing real well), and a half row of plain ol' spinich... Believe it or not, I could actually use a rain on the main garden!! Didn't think I'd ever see that day!! Wife's strawberry patch is yielding a big bowl of beautiful strawberries every other day or so and they are just now getting going good... Barring some unforeseen catastrophe, we hope to fill the freezer back up this year!! Thank you Lord!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2279.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	24682209

Name:	IMG_2280.jpg
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	24682210

Name:	IMG_2281.jpg
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	24682211

Name:	IMG_2282.jpg
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	24682212

Name:	IMG_2283.jpg
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	24682213

Name:	IMG_2279.jpg
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	24682209

Name:	IMG_2280.jpg
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	24682210

Name:	IMG_2281.jpg
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	24682211

Name:	IMG_2282.jpg
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	24682212

Name:	IMG_2283.jpg
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	24682213

Name:	IMG_2284.JPG
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	24682214

Name:	IMG_2285.JPG
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	24682215

Name:	IMG_2294.JPG
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	24682216

Name:	IMG_1486.jpg
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	24682217

Comment

Finally planted the peas n corn pics...

Name:	IMG_2286.JPG
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	24682218

Name:	IMG_2287.JPG
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	24682219

Name:	67192624958__2D009596-B5A3-42CC-BAF3-3B1492BF710F.JPG
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	24682220

Y'all don't look too close at how crooked those rows are!! I ain't too proud of my tractor work on this one... Was in a bit of a hurry... was gettin' dark an' I had a lot yet to do...

Comment

Looks like you got it goin on Charlie.

Comment

Yea, but just about a month late!! We's playin' catch up tho!!
                              Dang deep freeze is about empty... Garden got drowned last year! I'm plum outta Purple Hull peas... and that ain't good!!

Comment

Man y'all have some great looking setups

Mine aren't quite that far along yet, but we're getting there slowly. I've got corn, okra, tomatoes, zucchini, 6 or 7 kinds of peppers, and a handful of herbs. My first dill sprouts popped up yesterday.

Anyone have any recommendations for good green beans? I've planted seeds my MIL gave me the last couple years and they just haven't done well. I'm on the North side of San Antonio in a raised bed if that matters any.

Comment

Working...
                                X