• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geezy Rider
    replied
    Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    Time for a new 2023 thread.
    Ok, didn’t see one started so I’ll git r dun.

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
    Agree - someone jump on it.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    Ok, ok, I’m jumping.

Leave a comment:

• tps7742
    replied
    I usually plant taters & corn this week but it is way too wet this year.

Leave a comment:

• Tex_Cattleman
    replied
    Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    Agree - someone jump on it.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Texas Grown
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ctom87
    replied
    Any tips? I was planning on pulling weeds, overgrown grass, dead plants, etc. Then breaking up the ground and mixing in some organic fertilizers and adding some soil and compost. Anything else yall recommend?

Leave a comment:

• eradicator
    replied
    Onion sets went in this weekend. Cilantro, garlic, carrots, spinach, lettuce, aragula, bunching onions, and radish all going strong right now. Working on an asparagus bed currently. Tomatoes and peppers have all been started. As well as few herbs, mainly dill and basil. Trying to grow some blackberries from cuttings, not sure if they will take or not......

Leave a comment:

• chicken fried
    replied
    Started prepping the soil for spring.

Leave a comment:

• tps7742
    replied
    I had one of our local farmers bring me a load of manure to put on my large garden across the pasture. He even brought his spreader when he showed up and didn’t take him long to getrr done. I tilled it in about 4 times today. I am not sure I am looking forward to that north wind next week.

Leave a comment:

• Throwin Darts
    replied

My garage hydroponics are doing well right now. This was a week or two ago and everything is way bigger now

Leave a comment:

• SaltwaterSlick
    replied
    Geoff,
    Sorry I'm just seeing this! These Prime Ark Freedom berries we are growing were developed at the University of Arkansas. They'd surely grow in your area! We are still getting a few berries every few days. So far, our cuttings are still looking healthy. We used the old Texas Prepper 2 method of starting them (YouTube)... Probably have a hundred or so stuck in pots... If we get 25% success, we'll have blackberries out the wazoo!

Finally got our little greenhouse assembled and ready for use... We will transfer all the blackberry cuttings into it in the next couple days...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3139.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	24700466

Name:	IMG_3140.JPG
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	24700467

Name:	IMG_3144.JPG
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	24700468

It turned out nice, but also was a MUCH more time consuming project than I had ever dreamed!! Hope we can do our seed starting in it this Winter instead of indoors with grow lights... I have electric heat and water available in it, so gonna give that a try... Also have grow mats that we can use to get the seeds started... Last year's first attempt at starting everything from seeds went perfect EXCEPT... We failed to harden off our plants out of ignorance... Didn't know anything about it... We took our seedlings and planted them in grow bags and put them out in the sun... We still had a nice bag garden, but probably lost over 50% of our plants to sun damage... Hoping natural light during germination will yield better results... We shall see...
    Looking forward to 2023 Gardening thread... Bride and I will BOTH be retired so can dedicate more time to doin' it right!

Leave a comment:

• BertramBass
    replied
    Originally posted by Man View Post
    Blackberries in Novermeber! All right im all in on these. You mentioned them to me in the spring and instead i went off and bought some large retail chain berries. Looks like i will just have to have 2 blackberry gardens
    I am trying multiple berry patches of different kinds. Just started last spring. I have Arapaho, Kiowa, boysenberries and just ordered some Prime Ark Freedoms off Amazon. (Thanks Saltwater)

I did try to propagate from cuttings and failed. One day while pinching the tips off some primocanes, I noticed one had grown over and into the soil of the plant next to it. When I pulled it up, it already had 5 or 6, 3 inch long roots, so I replanted it. I also took a growing primocane and cut it diagonally right above where each set of leaves were growing and planted them. So far, so good. The leaves wilted slightly and rebounded and started new growth at the base of the leaves...

Leave a comment:

• BertramBass
    replied
    Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
    Congratulations on the blackberries Charlie.

Speaking of blackberries, does anyone have any recommendations on a good variety to grow in north texas or will any variety do?
    You can check the USDA zone chart and pick the blackberries that will do the best in your zone. I would think Natchez, Arapaho, Kiowa, etc would be OK.

Leave a comment:

• Man
    replied
    Blackberries in Novermeber! All right im all in on these. You mentioned them to me in the spring and instead i went off and bought some large retail chain berries. Looks like i will just have to have 2 blackberry gardens

Leave a comment:

• Geezy Rider
    replied
    Congratulations on the blackberries Charlie.

Speaking of blackberries, does anyone have any recommendations on a good variety to grow in north texas or will any variety do?

Leave a comment:

• SaltwaterSlick
    replied
    Well folks, our Prime Ark Freedom blackberries have absolutely blown us away this year! My bride revived them in the early Spring after a year of neglect and too much water... They responded unbelievably!
    Today, Thanksgiving day, we picked enough berries to make a fabulous Keto-cobbler!! Then we went out and completed our first attempt at propagating berry plants. Don't have a clue if they will work, but we've got 47 chances... I'll update come Spring!!

Name:	IMG_3105.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	24699944

Name:	IMG_3106.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	24699945

Name:	IMG_3108.JPG