Company not following union contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CEO View Post
    Not a union guy, but find it ridiculous they have to cover a non-paying non-member.
    Oh I agree but it was always my understanding the union had to put forth an effort or the individual could hold the local liable. I couldn’t quote you the exact law but that’s the way it was handled when I worked.

Comment

Not sure this is how the OP wanted this thread to go. It’s exactly how I expected it.

Good luck to you OP. I hope you find some kind of resolution.

Comment

Time to find another job. PERIOD.

Comment

I think unions are thing of the pass, at least in Texas. I was a union member for years and it was pretty much worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
            Not a union guy, but find it ridiculous they have to cover a non-paying non-member.
            Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
            Yeah, seems a little off.
            This is due to the union and management agreeing that the union will be the sole representative of the workforce that has bargaining rights… anyone can represent themselves or hire a lawyer if hey choose to file complaints but they can’t bargain for the workforce…. Because of the agreement the union is supposed to both bargain for everyone and to an extent represent everyone…

Comment

18 years and you want to move up to forklift driver? Or would it be a lateral move? Either way, I think you’re better off trying to find a new job.

Comment

Im just here for the union lolz....

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                  This IMHO. In this situation, causing a stink about the procedural process isn't going to get you the job. Unproveable, but I would think it may well hurt your chances next time as well. Does your supervisor know you want a different position? Does his or her boss as well? What are you doing to set yourself up for that position and set yourself apart from others?
                  Amen!!

Comment

Just like in the local major airlines industry. Once new union leadership is elected upper management is quick to get into the local leadership azz pocket and erthang becomes crickets. Management knows that money talks or in these cases shuts them up.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampa View Post
                      Punctuation please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Lord I know!

Talk about a run on sentence

Whoever said education doesn't matter, is full of it

Comment

I'm not part of a union,but they tried to get into my workplace a couple of times.I had no idea that guys could "opt out" paying dues.You still get the benefits of negotiations as well? Not trying to be *****,but I'd keep my head down,and mouth shut.

Comment

Maybe part of the job requirement involved writing of some kind?...just a thought

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hart8 View Post
                            I'm not part of a union,but they tried to get into my workplace a couple of times.I had no idea that guys could "opt out" paying dues.You still get the benefits of negotiations as well? Not trying to be *****,but I'd keep my head down,and mouth shut.
                            Yes you get the same benefits. In my experience your pay Is lower than non union plants. The argument in the past was you get better retirement benefits but most companies are cutting out the pension and retirement insurance. They give you more in the 401k but it's still less..
                            Last edited by jds247; 01-14-2022, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgard View Post
                              It’s hard to walk away I have 4 weeks vacation and I like my work schedule rotating 12 and I’m on days I have tried to leave before but no verified work no one wants to give me a shot was looking at getting into different line of work but with kids and being major salary winner can’t afford pay cut now
                              They way I see it is they didn't want you in that position. Maybe it's you maybe it's them who knows but complaining about it rarely works out good for the employee. It would be hard for me to work somewhere that didn't respect me but be realistic about your abilities. If I was in your shoes I would find a side hustle and bust my arse at it until it was my main gig or seeing if the misses can take a few classes, change careers and become the bread winner. PS from pot talking to kettle don't try being a substitute English teacher as your side gig.

Comment

By some of the replies here, some have never worked in a union shop.
                                OP, you should know who are the union reps at your workplace. Get with one of them and have them file a grievance on your behalf. If the job posting is what you say it is, once the grievance is filed and then goes thru the step process, you will win.
                                I don’t know which union is at your plant, or how the contract is set up, but they still have to represent you.
                                I don’t buy that you have tried to join. Somebody somewhere has approached you to join. Apparently you have decided not to. If what you say is true, then that’s a very weak union.
                                But the first thing you need to do is get a grievance filed. And while your at it, join and be a member.

Comment

Working...
                                X