Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

2022 College Football - Offseason

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As an outside observer, I can't help but relish the dysfunction that is, and even more so will be, the SEC. No doubt, it just pays more, but the public displays are so much fun! Perhaps, that's the end goal? WWE on the football field?

So what could go wrong?

First, start with a complete obliteration of any rules limiting pay for play. Ok, not complete obliteration, because it has to be a 3rd party officially unaffiliated with the university. Yeah, right, whatever.

Next, add a newbie, perennial mediocre program with more money than you and more tradition than you (well, except for "Home of the 12th Man" which they neutered last December, but it was always just "good bull" anyways) that magically recruits the highest rated class in football recruiting history. Ok, never mind, they had never approached this pinnacle before. No doubt, those recruits are bonkers over the tradition and lore (what's left of it).

Then, take a program that has its own bank, and bankrolled athletes, whose president happens to be the son of perhaps the most successful and famous coach in college football history. And punish Missouri while you're at it.

Toxic? I guess. But we're not done here. Let's throw in a school that literally claims to be the state of Texas. And they have even more money than the other mediocre state program. You know, the university whose alumni routinely thinks the universe revolves around them and the rest of the conference should simply thank them for their existence and comply. Resistance is futile. We are Texas. We are better than you and you should thank us for keeping the conference afloat even if we sucked for the last umpteen years (and we shouldn't have to prove it on the field or court or where ever). SEC, there's gonna be a new sheriff in town and you better just roll over and take it.

Finally, throw in another blue blood that has actually had recent football success. Yes, it will become Nebraska, but at least OU has titles to point to. More than UT has if I recall correctly. More than the other state of Texas school that claims titles because it's on the side of their stadium but really truly isn't even worth mentioning in the context of titles. Well, except their vaunted tradition, which makes them feel better about themselves even if nobody else cares and everyone else thinks of them as a cult.

Actually, never mind. Let's not worry about OU (soon to be known as Nebraska 2.0, assuming they can scrape together the $80 million exit fee, which is a huge assumption. Btw, I'm not talking expiring GOR, I'm talking conference exit fee which is contractual through 2099 or something like that, no problem for UT).

So what could go wrong with so many high minded teams in the same conference? I can't wait to see! This is going to be glorious!
    Last edited by DaBears; 05-20-2022, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Lol, from the pulpit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Was that a post or a sermon?

Comment

Drag a few folks into Federal Court on tax evasion and fraud and it may clean College Football up a bit!

I have a small LLC and just wrote a check for my tax bill and it was painful!

I love college football and it disgust me that it has come to this but who cares at this point. It’s got to be cleaned up!

Comment

Originally posted by gekko man View Post
            Drag a few folks into Federal Court on tax evasion and fraud and it may clean College Football up a bit!

I have a small LLC and just wrote a check for my tax bill and it was painful!

I love college football and it disgust me that it has come to this but who cares at this point. It’s got to be cleaned up!

It’s been said plenty that this is going to get alot of kids in trouble with the irs…

Comment

Is this thread hung up . . I get notifications about new posts but it always takes me back to this point . .

Comment

Former Pitt wide receiver Jordan Addison is officially leaving the Panthers for USC. The 2021 Biletnikoff Award winner joins an offense in Los Angeles which new head coach Lincoln Riley has already st...

NIL gone wild [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HR3 View Post
                  https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...llion-nil-deal

Riley selling the dream life in the cesspool state.

Comment

Kids not paying their taxes is what will doom the NIL deals.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                      Kids not paying their taxes is what will doom the NIL deals.
                      It will be bad for the individuals that don't pay their taxes, but I don't see how it really effects the existence of NIL.

NIL capitalization is the result of a supreme court case. The NCAA can't make it go away and it will cost them a bunch more money to fight it if they unilaterally impose meaningful restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                        It will be bad for the individuals that don't pay their taxes, but I don't see how it really effects the existence of NIL.

NIL capitalization is the result of a supreme court case. The NCAA can't make it go away and it will cost them a bunch more money to fight it if they unilaterally impose meaningful restrictions.
                        That is why the transfer rules will remain in place, the NCAA can not fight the anti-trust aspect of it. They can not keep kids from seeking better opportunities to make more money.

Comment

Originally posted by HR3 View Post
                          https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...llion-nil-deal

I was told, this was nowhere close to the number.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                            I was told, this was nowhere close to the number.
                            Higher or lower? . .

Comment

Originally posted by preaux40 View Post
                              Higher or lower? . .
                              I heard lower be curious to see what Heath says.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                                I heard lower be curious to see what Heath says.
                                Yes, much lower. I was told he was even offered a larger deal at Texas, but his family wanted him in LA. That was the plan as soon (actually before) he put his name in the portal.

Comment

Working...
                                X