Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever raised worms on a large scale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I been thinking about raising worms under my rabbit hutch then i just might start that project this weekend

Comment

So how does one kill and keep away fire ants without killing the worms?

Comment

I started some red wiggler composting worms to harvest my own worm castings for the garden fertilizer. Got two mineral tubs now, maybe 6000 worms. Mostly babies at this point but they double in number every 6 weeks in good conditions and space. Takes a couple months for them to get big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
          I started some red wiggler composting worms to harvest my own worm castings for the garden fertilizer. Got two mineral tubs now, maybe 6000 worms. Mostly babies at this point but they double in number every 6 weeks in good conditions and space. Takes a couple months for them to get big.

Did you get them from Uncle Jims?

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
            Did you get them from Uncle Jims?

Nope, used Buckeye Organics and had a great experience.

Comment

I don't have worm beds, but I have worm beds
              6 yrs ago several compost piles were started on top of nothing but sand, and we had no worms, now there are tens of thousands, the ground is full of them.
              The main body on this one is 10'x10'x20" and compressing, there's about 5 yrds in flux around it and constant litter on the ground.
              Took roughly 30 yrds to get each pile where they are now, but to make a long story short, the worms just came, I didn't do anything but build a home without trying.
              By the second year they were very obvious.
              I did haul in about 75% of the mulch and compost, but if you're a Longview resident you get it for free, and you don't need anywhere near that much.
              You could run a shovel through this pile now and dozens just pour out, or they will come out of the sides from everywhere like magic, and dissapear in the bark litter.
              You don't need anything to put them in really if it's just for personal bait, buy a yard of mulch every fall, and dump it on top.
              Might take a little longer but less maintenance probably.
              Just food for thought.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by MadHatter; 05-14-2023, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                So how does one kill and keep away fire ants without killing the worms?
                Diatomaceous earth.

Comment

My dad raised eating rabbits in coops up off the ground. He laid burlap sacks on the ground under the coops and the rabbit droppings would fall through onto the burlap. He kept the burlap watered down and when we needed fishing worms all we had to do was peel the burlap back and scrap up a few handfuls of big fat worms. These were wild worms and the best catfish and bream bet I ever used.

Comment

They profiles man on Texas bucket list this week who started
                    Out selling worms before he realized their poop is where the real money in

Comment

We did a "red wiggler" worm composting project one time. Worked okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholson84 View Post
                        My friend Harry was in business with Lloyd! They called it I Got Worms! They did pretty good until their pets heads started falling off.
                        I laughed!

Comment

Growing up I new a family that had beds in their barn and supplied bait shops. They would but news paper on the dirt over the beds and sprinkle with rabbit food lightly mist with water. You could see the worms eat through the paper and eat the rabbit food.

Comment

We had worm beds under our rabbit hutches also. I loved going and digging worms the night before we went fishing.

Comment

I’m paying .40 per pound for very clean castings.

Comment

I raised enough worms as a kid, to keep me in bait, but when the fireants arrived, it was all over!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X