No announcement yet.

process your own deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have mine processed and have used the same processor for years without any problems. I haven’t done my own since my dad past away. We used to use a friend of his processing equipment. I may eventually get my own stuff and do it again.

Comment

Did when I was younger, but I found that with the few deer I killed it was just easier to have processed. Wife did not complain, easier to store in freezer, marked well, wrapped, no mess, blah blah

Comment

I do my own unless getting sausage made. I have found it is easier to slice the meat first, then trim off the "silver skin" rather than trying to peel it off. Key is sharp knife and it helps if the meat is cold.

Comment

Ive processed my for 20 years. Some years processing 10+ deer at a time. Here are a few tips that I figured out the hard way.

1) buy a GOOD grinder. I would not buy a grinder with less than 1 hp. For years I used a small grinder and it drug the process out all day.

2) buy a GOOD vacuum packer. Avoid foodsaver. They work but the cycle times are so short, that they result in a long day if you are vaccum packing.

3) use the tubes for ground meat. Makes grinding so much quicker.

4) a pedal control for the grinder is very handy.

5) TRIM!!! For years I ground up dang near the entire deer. Over the past few years I have trimmed tendons and silver skin and the quality has improved significantly.

6) Don't keep the meet in ice water. After 15 years of "bleeding" the meat, I started keeping the meat cold and out of the water, it has made a big difference. I now keep the meat in a cooler or ON ice for 7-10 days, it works.

7) Finally, don't be afraid to experiment with how you process. Some folks will say you can or can't do things, take them with a grain of salt (including these notes) and figure out what works for you.
          Last edited by saintsfan; 01-03-2022, 09:28 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

always process mine down to the bone, take the majority of the meat and cut into steaks, separate into roasts, etc. This last time we took the shoulders, hams, and some neck to a company close and they processed down to summer sausage and some chili meat. Pretty expensive, likely won't do it again.

Comment

I like to sit at our local processor on opening day or busy days during the season. I process my own but our wives are friends so we like to go. I'm shocked at the condition that most of the deer come in, been dead for 2-3 hours in the back of a truck and not even gutted. I know some processors mix the meat, so that's a big no for me. I will occasionally bring in a hind quarter if I want a particular sausage, but thats about it.

Comment

I've done my own for a long time. It's not as difficult as you would think. I've used a $99 Northern Tool grinder and a Foodsaver sealer. To me it's all part of the experience of hunting. We grind it all into hamburger, mix it with bacon ends and pieces and seal it in one pound packs. We use it for everything all year. Today I'm grinding and packing, the Trophy wife and I will have it done in about an hour and a half. I know it ain't for everybody but we enjoy the process I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                  Did when I was younger, but I found that with the few deer I killed it was just easier to have processed. Wife did not complain, easier to store in freezer, marked well, wrapped, no mess, blah blah
                  X2....

Comment

I do it all at the house. The wife already has her hamburger order in ( 70% venison 30% pork ) the price at HEB now has her in a more organic mood.

My boys are involved in the process now & makes it fun to make different batches of sausage, snack sticks, & summer sausage.
                    We debone deer throughout the season & vacuum pack it in 20 lb bags.
                    Thaw, mix, grind, & package in one long weekend.
                    Sure it's a lot of work
                    Quality time with family & friends
                    I know whose deer I am eating
                    No hair-glands or senue

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      How exactly is processing the deer yourself vs paying someone else to do it a “huge part of conservation?”
                      Lol, I was full of it and kidding to a degree. But, I don’t know just processing myself has raised some enthusiasm for the sport overall. Conservation is about the end result.. food and cutting it up yourself seems way better to having a processor do it for you, unless you have someone that will just focus on your deer and do it right.

I made an honest attempt to answer. 😜

Comment

Originally posted by saintsfan View Post
                        Ive processed my for 20 years. Some years processing 10+ deer at a time. Here are a few tips that I figured out the hard way.

1) buy a GOOD grinder. I would not buy a grinder with less than 1 hp. For years I used a small grinder and it drug the process out all day.

2) buy a GOOD vacuum packer. Avoid foodsaver. They work but the cycle times are so short, that they result in a long day if you are vaccum packing.

3) use the tubes for ground meat. Makes grinding so much quicker.

4) a pedal control for the grinder is very handy.

5) TRIM!!! For years I ground up dang near the entire deer. Over the past few years I have trimmed tendons and silver skin and the quality has improved significantly.

6) Don't keep the meet in ice water. After 15 years of "bleeding" the meat, I started keeping the meat cold and out of the water, it has made a big difference. I now keep the meat in a cooler or ON ice for 7-10 days, it works.

7) Finally, don't be afraid to experiment with how you process. Some folks will say you can or can't do things, take them with a grain of salt (including these notes) and figure out what works for you.
                        This is good stuff, thank you!

Comment

I don't but most of the guys on our lease do and they are awesome at it. I could never hold a candle to how well they do it so I just stay in my own lane and have mine processed.

Comment

I think it's a good skill to have. I have done many and have all the equipment. But I agree that what I pay for basic processing and the job they do is far cheaper than time off work to do it myself, leaves no blood smell in my kitchen for my wife to worry over and doesn't affect my enjoyment of hunting either way.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t really have the patience, right equipment nor do I really make the time for it
                              It’s easier for me to field dress & haul it to someone who is way more experienced than me & can do it right (at least relative to me)
                              I’m willing to drop the dime cause I hunt private land & don’t pay lease fees & im only 50 minutes from our place
                              So I figure my expense I’ll pay toward processing fee

Comment

I'm 68 and this is the first year I ever took a deer to the processor and didn't do it myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X