No announcement yet.

Self-sufficiency on the rise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying food, essentials now is just money in the bank..
    The market is crashing up.

Comment

All good stuff right but one inexpensive and needed commonity is salt. I have 5 5 gal buckets of salt. Great thread going here.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
        What are some good options for water filtration for a large group? Boiling is cumbersome. I have a live spring creek but it travels through a lot of critter poop to get to my place. Thanks.
        Definitely talking about safe water. I bought some bulk powdered type bleach several years ago and had the formula marked on it. But I need to renew that. Was thinking more of running it from rooftop or with a 12v pump into the big plastic totes or barrels and then filtering as it left the barrel. Maybe sand/charcoal/etc?
        Originally posted by Zmaxhunter View Post
        Hey Bobby, I bought 2 of these when they were on deal half this price a few years ago. Alexapure Pro Water Filtration System. The darn charcoal replacement filters are expensive for sure. We now have a whole home water filter system so the Alexapures are for when the SHTF and I need to filter the pond water.

Comment

In on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been buying heirloom vegetable seeds for the past few years for the seeds as much as the vegetables. Also, experimenting with finding which varieties do best with no irrigation. Hybrid vegetables are good the first generation, but don't produce viable seeds for the next season.

Does anybody else get a prickly feeling from the push for "fake meat"? I just read an article recently about the first lab grown steak grown from cattle stem cells. 1 Timothy 4 warns us that in the last days some will give way to the "doctrine of devils... forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with Thanksgiving".
            I don't think it's coincidental that there is now so much fear mongering over eating so-called diseased wild game, and the introduction of plant based fake meats.

Comment

Originally posted by huntresss View Post
              I've been buying heirloom vegetable seeds for the past few years for the seeds as much as the vegetables. Also, experimenting with finding which varieties do best with no irrigation. Hybrid vegetables are good the first generation, but don't produce viable seeds for the next season.

Does anybody else get a prickly feeling from the push for "fake meat"? I just read an article recently about the first lab grown steak grown from cattle stem cells. 1 Timothy 4 warns us that in the last days some will give way to the "doctrine of devils... forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with Thanksgiving".
              I don't think it's coincidental that there is now so much fear mongering over eating so-called diseased wild game, and the introduction of plant based fake meats.

If you believe in a perfect God(I know I do) then there is no such thing as coincidence. Everything going on right now is already laid out in Revelations.

Comment

Learned to make wine, beer, tequila, vodka, rum, bourbon and fuel alcohol in the last few years. Figure I can barter if it ever hits the fan.

Comment

I've talked to dozens of rabbit/quail/goat/chicken/pig breeders (not the ISIS/Al Qaeda types).
                  Quote of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Filletem View Post
                    Kerosene lanterns are a good option for light and a little heat. TSC sells 5 gallon cans of kerosene that and some extra wicks will last a long time.
                    An FYI since I just picked up 20 gals of kerosene yesterday from TSC. Their current price for the 5 gal cans is $44.99. But, go online and set "My Store" on the TSC located in Helotes, TX

Helotes TX #1851
                    11946 Leslie RD
                    Helotes, TX 78023

Then look up the kerosene. This will pull up a price of $39.99. Take your phone with you to the register and save yourself $1/gallon.

They price-matched yesterday at the Buda store without any hesitation. I'm headed back to another TSC in a few days to get more.

Comment

Chickens, guineas and turkeys can be free ranged. Rabbits and quail must be fed. Pigs, goats and sheep can also be free ranged depending on land and fences. Anything you have to feed is probably not the best choice.

Comment

Luckily I grew up in a time and place that a lot of what people now call prepping, was just everyday living. Grandparents (and a community in general) that raised animals and butchered them, grew and preserved their own fruits and vegetables, and in most ways were as self sufficient as they could be. And not just the basics, they lived good doing it. They could put together some of the best tasting meals you ever ate and very little of it came from the store. The list of things those people could do was endless, from sewing and making quilts, to vehicle repair and maintenance, they knew the old school way to do about anything.

They didn't just have the knowledge, they promoted a way of life where using it on a daily basis was natural. Those things they passed down to the parents of me and my wife, and from them to our generation, and now we are passing them to our children. Of course there is no way to pass on 100% of that knowledge in todays world but we do our best.

I try and replace some of that old lost knowledge with new though. Got my HAM Extra radio ticket 9 years ago. I have done a lot of playing on HF from home, but this last year have added off grid portable to my capabilities with a FT-891, LiFePo batteries, and solar charging for them. I have been taking that setup with me when we go camping and getting great portable operating experience doing Parks On The Air.

That is just one example of many that I could give.

We raise animals, we farm, we have both a good well at our barn (outside city limits across the street from our house), and good city water at our house (barely in the limits). Water in the well is only 19' down, easy to get out. We have natural gas, plus propane, a generator, and barrels of treated ethanol free gas. Lots of tools, lots of knowledge in our extended family, most of whom are here close. Good community, good friends.

And oh yeah, lots of defensive capabilities.

But.....All that could go away in the blink of an eye. Physical things can get lost, stolen, burned up. What you have in your brain is much harder to lose. You can take it anywhere.

I read a lot, mostly history and instructive type materials. There is a common thread that runs through any type book on survival. Doesn't matter if you are talking any of the various WWII death camps, prepping, catastrophes, whatever. There are basically two types of people. There are the ones that never quit, never give up, never stop moving forward no matter what. Generally they survive. And then there are those that give up and die when things get too tough. Mentally you choose which one of those you are going to be.

Possessions, knowledge, skills and abilities are great. As long as you don't give up. There are always going to be those with less and those with more. In the end you work with what you have. If it gets taken from you then you start over. But never give up.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                          ^^^This is the key right here IMHO^^^

Just like I would imagine it would have been back in the day… if ***** really hits the fan we better be working with other like minded, hard working and responsible folks in your immediate area/community.
                          Glad I got land, water well, guns, ammo, thermal, and 2-3 houses I can stay at and 4-5 deer in the freezer annually

Feel sorry for the city folks

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                            Luckily I grew up in a time and place that a lot of what people now call prepping, was just everyday living. Grandparents (and a community in general) that raised animals and butchered them, grew and preserved their own fruits and vegetables, and in most ways were as self sufficient as they could be. And not just the basics, they lived good doing it. They could put together some of the best tasting meals you ever ate and very little of it came from the store. The list of things those people could do was endless, from sewing and making quilts, to vehicle repair and maintenance, they knew the old school way to do about anything.

They didn't just have the knowledge, they promoted a way of life where using it on a daily basis was natural. Those things they passed down to the parents of me and my wife, and from them to our generation, and now we are passing them to our children. Of course there is no way to pass on 100% of that knowledge in todays world but we do our best.

I try and replace some of that old lost knowledge with new though. Got my HAM Extra radio ticket 9 years ago. I have done a lot of playing on HF from home, but this last year have added off grid portable to my capabilities with a FT-891, LiFePo batteries, and solar charging for them. I have been taking that setup with me when we go camping and getting great portable operating experience doing Parks On The Air.

That is just one example of many that I could give.

We raise animals, we farm, we have both a good well at our barn (outside city limits across the street from our house), and good city water at our house (barely in the limits). Water in the well is only 19' down, easy to get out. We have natural gas, plus propane, a generator, and barrels of treated ethanol free gas. Lots of tools, lots of knowledge in our extended family, most of whom are here close. Good community, good friends.

And oh yeah, lots of defensive capabilities.

But.....All that could go away in the blink of an eye. Physical things can get lost, stolen, burned up. What you have in your brain is much harder to lose. You can take it anywhere.

I read a lot, mostly history and instructive type materials. There is a common thread that runs through any type book on survival. Doesn't matter if you are talking any of the various WWII death camps, prepping, catastrophes, whatever. There are basically two types of people. There are the ones that never quit, never give up, never stop moving forward no matter what. Generally they survive. And then there are those that give up and die when things get too tough. Mentally you choose which one of those you are going to be.

Possessions, knowledge, skills and abilities are great. As long as you don't give up. There are always going to be those with less and those with more. In the end you work with what you have. If it gets taken from you then you start over. But never give up.

Best post in the thread!!
                            Well said sir! I'm from that same era and genre. Growing up, I didn't know Poke Salad and boiled eggs were not everyday fare... Haven't seen it growing in a long time, but I always look around old barns/pens in East Texas when I come across them... Just the way I was raised... Always be lookin' for that next meal...
                            Even learned how to make bubble gum out of sweetgum sap by adding in "stretch berries"... Anybody else ever done that?!

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Shot View Post
                              We raise our own cattle for beef. Chickens. Rabbits. Fill freezer w venison during deer season. Fish at the lake. Pretty much set on protein.
                              If it gets bad enough seasons wont matter

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                                If it gets bad enough seasons wont matter
                                And large game will be the first to go. So y’all better have versatile hunting skills. Coons, and opossums are going to be more common on the plate than deer if it’s an extended time.

Comment

Working...
                                X