Self-sufficiency on the rise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
    Water will be a big thing initially...in a real SHTF scenario, having clean cooking/drinking water on hand will be a task.

Would be curious what everyone is planning on doing?
    Filter it if need be (have hundreds of lbs of carbon media I bought in bulk a while back), boil it if need be, have enough batteries to use my UV pens for a couple months as well.
    Whether it's clean or not is of no concern.
    2 ponds(one spring fed) and a creek on the property.
    Plenty of ways to catch water as well.
    I would abandon my residence almost immediately if a true SHTF situation arose.
    Developing places to put things off grid in that situation is my weak point atm.
    Snovid or similar is of no concern to me, not any different than my western hunts every yr, or some of the other stuff I do, and losing a freezer or 2 full of stuff isn't much reason for alarm.

Comment

Seeds.

Comment

On the way to being self suffiecent. We got birds, planning on rabbits soon, pond in the plans and a manual well pump.
        Own several bee hives. Fruit trees.
        Last edited by lovemylegacy; 12-14-2021, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
          Night vision, guns and ammo.
          Where the hell is the dam like button!?

On a side note, I took a trip over thanksgiving to a state park. I looked for a couple weeks before I could find the reservations we were wanting. I was told by a park employee that for the past two years there have been more and more people camping in the parks than he could remember. That makes sense if the self sufficiency desire is up there and people are using the camping trips as test runs to shake down their equipment and processes...

Or maybe they are just glamping IDK...

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

I am definitely one of the statistics you read about. I got into it heavy a little over 3 years ago, but been following the trend and watching it explode for the past 13 years, particularly at OR Show in then Utah and now Colorado. I think there are several different reasons why its caught on as much as it has, as it ecompasses many different style of folks.

* Support Local folks
            * Screw Big Corporations folks
            * Prepping folks
            * Self Sufficiency folks
            * Healthy Lifestyle folks <----my reason
            * Environmental impact folks
            * Wanna Be Unique folks

Comment

Anybody freeze drying items?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Get to your dentist now.
                Get your vision tested, several pair of new glasses.
                Feminine products.
                Harbor frieght sells cheap quilted moving blankets.. great for walls, floors, etc.
                Water filtration
                I recently met a goal of 1000 cans.. canned foods
                Plant fruit trees, plants.. for your area.
                Buy your canning jars, lids, pectin, bulk sugar, spices, flour, cooking oils.
                Trash bags, a burn barrel, firewood for outdoor cooking.
                Good cookbooks.
                Start watching, learning about cooking with cast iron..and get some.. get your trivets, tripods, ..Cowboy Kent Rollins on yt is all you need.
                Different fuel sources..
                Solar lights.. charge by day.. use by night

Last yr, on the farm, Roundup was 12.50 per gallon.. its now selling at 60+

Comment

What are some good options for water filtration for a large group? Boiling is cumbersome. I have a live spring creek but it travels through a lot of critter poop to get to my place. Thanks.

Comment

We’ve been raising our own protein for many years now but I just started getting into gardening and canning. I’ve never really been a prepper but I’ve been pretty good at doing for myself. My freezers stay full . I had no problems during the big freezer. We had food., Heat, water and could cook what we had. I’m very adept at living primitive if need be.

Comment

So.... When TSHTF are deer leas contracts still in effect? Will landowners change the locks?

Asking for a friend.

Comment

Small properties in rural areas are selling at premiums.
                        I have been trying to get a hand pump added to my electric well for a while, plus getting added living space at my place in the woods. The people that are working are backed up.

Comment

I’ll just YouTube it once the whole grid goes down

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                            I have been trying to get a hand pump added to my electric well for a while, plus getting added living space at my place in the woods. The people that are working are backed up.
                            What type of hand pump have you researched. I know they can be pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
                              So.... When TSHTF are deer leas contracts still in effect? Will landowners change the locks?

Asking for a friend.
                              What would you do? If the deer lease on private land was my fall back plan I would consider a plan B just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                                Do you have to pull the existing pipes/wiring out of the casing to use the hand pump? My well seems to be very small in diameter and not sure if both will fit in there. Thanks for any info.

Comment

Working...
                                X