No announcement yet.

Stanton’s processing in Alvin- not impressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've used every place mentioned above and not too impressed by any of them by the quality of the finished product for reasons mentioned, such as tough skin on the sausage, too chewy, bone pieces mixed in, not ground up fine enough or too fine, the cost of processing a deer now days is flipping nuts, the list goes on and on, so just stick to doing it all myself and it's a much better quality product as far as texture, cleaned, non-gristle without biting into a piece of bone in the meat, knowing I got my deer and all of my meat back, and piece of mind knowing how it was handled and cared for. Last year I took a deer to Lonestar to be deboned only, due to not having the time to debone it myself and would ground the rest myself . Well, when I got it back, thawed it out and saw how they deboned it to be ready to grind up and turn into burger and sausage, I said never again. It looked disgusting, and still had all the tendons, gristle, silver skin, and all the other garbage I really don't want to be eating so I just do it all myself with every deer now. I'm not bashing any businesses, I'm just speaking the truth and I'm sure the amount of deer businesses have flooding in to be processed is part of the problem and it's probably a get it in and get it out as fast as possible with not much attention to detail. If you have the time and can do it yourself I would highly suggest it. We debone all of our deer out once at our final destination, double bag the deboned meat in freezer bags with dates and type of deer. Once deer season is over will pull all the deboned deer meat out to be thawed and make a marathon out of processing and packaging up to get ready for eating. By packaging meat up this way it also lets me know about how much fat I need to have available. I usually get about 5lbs of deboned meat in a 1 gallon Ziploc bag. We usually do our processing around spring break timeframe when the kiddos are out of school so they can help and learn something and process around 4 to 7 deer total. It's a lot of work, but to me very satisfying, but what isn't now days when it comes to hunting and fishing. I've been thinking about canning deer meat since the longevity is a lot longer than freezing it and have watched some really good videos explaining ways to do it just haven't tried it yet.

Comment

Ok for the update
      Talked to the owner- he blew it off to my request for a corset grind and his employees should have warned me against that. Said the chunks of tendon is just the grind so guess my chili meat will be the same way.
      He did offer to make more for no charge if I wanted to bring some meat back. Didn’t seem to think the tough casing was an issue. Not happy, lessons learned, moving on. Will take meat somewhere else to avoid the tough casing.
      Thanks for recommendations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        I would rethink that coarser grind from them next time. That doesn’t look good. Please update us if you take it back to them.

Update above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve used some of the ones listed above, and I’ll say this:

You get what you put into it before you drop it off. I’ll debone my meat and package it in heavy duty plastic bags then ice it really well. I get a discount that way and I know my meat is ready to grind, since it takes some work off their employees they seem to do a better job ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
          X