Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KMack's Camp Stories & Misc. Ramblings

Preface:
    I stumbled across the green screen when I decided to add more challenge to my hunting by trying to get involved in bow hunting. That was back in late 2009. I signed up some months after in 2010, but I'd never call myself a "prominent member". I spend a lot of time lurking depending on what my schedules look like. I did actively bow hunt for quite a few years, but sadly was never able to take an animal. (My most interesting shot is seen in my avatar)

Anyway, over the years (and unfortunately, most recently) you tend to notice that some more prominent members do pass on to the bigger hunting lands. But what I have noticed that remain, are their stories and the stories of them from family and friends. We've all had those moments that aren't truly funny at the time they happen, but they are the sources of much laughter (even in ourselves) around much later camp fires.

As I've gotten older, those stories & memories of family and friends (both current & past) mean even more to me. Along with facing the knowledge that my own passing will ultimately happen, I thought it would be great to just share some of my favorite camp stories, and just miscellaneous stories of my past; although, most of them will center around hunting or just shooting in general.

What started this thinking yesterday, was I had some time to kill inside our beloved green screen and was rummaging thru some older posts of stories about past members. It got me thinking. While most of you don't know me, maybe some of my friends and family (some are aware of my presence here) will find this place after I'm gone and enjoy some of the stories that I enjoyed. Even if they don't, at least I've put them out there for the world to share.

Please keep in mind, I'm not the greatest story-teller. But I'll tell them anyways.

My hunting background:
    My Grandpa Mack was the hunter/fisherman of the family. I did not have the opportunity to start hunting at a young age. While I did get to spend many years fishing with him in the Laguna Madre as a youngster, I was never quite old enough to hunt with him before the cancer got there. He passed in '84 when I was twelve. And my Dad was never much into hunting.

So the years passed until my wife and I got married in '95. My FIL (Joe) was a bit of an outdoors type and an avid shooter (more on that later). He was the person that got the wheels turning about hunting for me, but I was in my twenties by then. I started late, but got here as fast as I could!

Joe also got me involved into a lot of things, some of which my wife and his wife weren't all that happy about! Some you'll read about here.

Ken

On to the stories....

First Real Dove Hunt
    In truth, my first dove hunt was with my Grandpa Mack when I was about 5 or 6. My Grandma Mack went also to make sure I survived! I don't remember much other than sitting out along some back road down in the Valley, he handed me the shotgun to shoot, and I ended up on my arse after pulling the trigger! Grandma made us leave shortly thereafter...

My first real dove hunt came in '98 a few months after my daughter was born. Some guys from work asked if I wanted to go and I said yes. But give me a couple days to get a gun, some ammo, maybe a camo shirt or two...I literally had nothing! I borrowed my Grandpa's old 870 from my Dad, grabbed a couple boxes of old shells that he had, stopped at Academy for a couple boxes more, and then claimed I was ready. (Yeah right)

We left after work on a Wednesday evening to head down to this guy's property outside of Floresville. Everyone was nice, but I quickly realized that my little Suzuki car might not be up for the challenge of driving out into this guy's field. It then got left behind by the house and I hopped in my friend's truck. The field was probably about 25-30 acres with a couple tree lines along a few edges. The remnants of a water tank nearby. Mostly grass and mesquite were the only things growing.

After about an hour by myself along side the trees, missing almost every bird I aimed at, someone yelled out, "Who's shooting that cannon?!?" The answer for that question didn't come until a little later that evening, but suffice it to say that my heirloom 870 I was using was really my Grandpa's old turkey gun. 28" barrel with a full choke and I had been using up some of the older shells I had pilfered, which were old Remington "high-brass" shot shells in slightly heavier loads. It really was pretty loud!

Just after that question had been raised, I winged a bird that landed out in the middle of the pasture. I went out to retrieve it, and came across my first "not dead" bird. Hmmm....

I stayed out there for a bit trying to figure out what to do. My buddy called out and asked what I was doing still out there as it was supposedly keeping the birds away. "It's not dead!" I hollered. "Well, kill it!" he shouted back.

This became my dilemma: how to kill the bird. No one had ever said anything about how sometimes the bird may not be dead when you go to pick it up! Let alone did they ask if I knew what to do in case! My first thought was to just aim, pull the trigger, and blow its head off. Naw, that will just destroy the bird and waste it. Then in my infinite wisdom, I got an idea...I'll just beat it to death!

I'll set the picture here for ya... I'm on my knees, in two foot tall grass, shot gun in hand, and I'm just wailing on this poor dying bird with the butt of the stock! Every hit doing nothing more than pushing this little bird's head deeper into the dirt. His little eye blinking at me as if to say, "What the (bleep) are you trying to do here?"

In the middle of this fiasco, I hear, "What the (bleep) are you doing?"

"I'm trying to kill it like you said!"

"Pop its head off!"

"HUH?"

I ultimately, didn't have to do that procedure as the bird did end up dying. Although it was probably from laughter at me.

On future hunts for years after and still to this day, whenever someone drops to their knees on the ground and acts like their pounding sand with their gun, the questions is always asked... "Who's this?"

"KEN!!!!!"

Footnote to this first hunt:
    While the story above is the highlight reel, it was not the only story-worthy memory from that hunt.

I did get better about killing all the birds I shot at (or at least I thought I did). As the sun was setting, we all gathered around the trucks and were getting ready to start cleaning birds. I had already been to the truck a couple times to drop off birds from my vest and into the cooler I had brought.

As we all gathered around, I went to open the cooler and get my birds out. As soon as the lid opened, a dove came fluttering out and tried to fly away. My buddy instinctively grabbed his shotgun and shot it before it got 30 yds away. Everyone looked at me...

"What? He was dead when I put him in there!"

I truly thought the bird was dead. He had been in my vest for at least 15 minutes after the shot, and then at least another 30 minutes in the cooler.

Either way, the 2nd shot got him!

I'll add more stories as I get time to write...

Comment

Enjoyed that. Keep them coming

Comment

Cool story.

Comment

Trust me when I tell you...you are not the only one.

If you can't laugh at yourself, you've got no right to laugh at anyone else, bravo sir.

Comment

Short Story...

My first Red Fish

As I mentioned earlier, I got to spend a lot of time salt water fishing with my Grandpa. After my Dad moved us from NW Houston down to San Benito (next door to my Great Grandparent's house) and built his shop, my Grandpa started keeping his boat at our house. My grand parents lived in Harlingen.

Grandpa would always call before heading over to get the boat to go fishing. He just waited until about 3:30 in the morning the day of, before he made the call! "Get up! Let's go fishing."

I must have been about 7 this time. We launched out of Arroyo City and headed out into the Laguna. After a couple hours, we started hooking into some decent reds. My sister and I had just gotten our own rods from Grandpa as gifts. (I still have both of them and fish regularly with them, reels included!) I was proudly fishing with my new rod!

Anyway (I digress), I remember feeling the tug, watching the rod tip bend over, and then I was sure I was getting pulled over the side of the boat! Mind you, in my younger days as a kid, I was typically shorter than most my age, even though I'm 6'-0 now as an adult. So I didn't stand much taller than the gunwales on the 16' AstroCraft that belonged to Grandpa.

That red pulled me into the side of the boat numerous times all the while me screaming my head off to save me and keep me in the boat. "I don't wanna die, Grandpa!"

Someone grabbed me and told me don't let go of the rod. That wasn't ever going to happen! Arms just barely over the side, I reeled that fish in as fast as I could. 31" of monster fish came up out of the water and looked to be just about as long as I was tall! (Maybe not, but as a kid everything appears much bigger!)

Hugs and high-fives all around, ....and then we just went back to fishing...

Yeah, I know. Not much fan-fare after that!

Comment

Greatness! Keep the stories coming!

Comment

Meeting my "future" FIL...

So, here's a little background on the man that became my FIL, my hunting buddy, racing partner, shooting mentor, grand-dad to my daughter, and eventually became my best friend! Joe, I miss you every day buddy!

I know everybody has an in-law that either is "just ok" and that they can't stand at all. I was fully expecting that when I met Joe for the first time.

I did my first two years of college at Pan Am University (Univ. of Texas @ Edinburg, Univ of Tx - RGV, Tamale-Tech, whatever you want to call the place...). After which, I moved to San Antonio with a friend, Jeff, and we got an apartment together and jobs at SwRI. Jeff's sister and her friend started hanging out with us that fall semester in '92. Kerri, "the friend," was very nice but wasn't too happy with some of the girls she saw me dating from the dorms at UTSA. Which happened to be where Kerri lived and worked (go figure...).

So one day, she just flat told me to quit dating others and go out with her. So I did! (Aaaannnddd, there's a whole other story about that first date!)

Oh, I guess I should tell you that Kerri and Jeff dated for 4 years before I met Jeff. (Pertinent information, ya know....)

Anyway, Joe didn't care for Jeff very much, or any of his "lack-luster work ethic" as Joe used to put it later on. In fact you could say that Joe flat out hated Jeff with a serious passion. Around about October that year, Kerri's parents made a trip up from Edinburg to SA to bring Kerri some stuff. I don't remember what they brought or why since it really wasn't what I remember from that day!

I met Joe (& Lois) for the first time in a stairwell at Chisholm Hall on the UTSA campus on a Saturday afternoon in 1992. Kerri (casually) mentioned that I was Jeff's roommate rrriiiggghhhttt about the time that I reached out the shake the man's hand. That's when the death grip ensued!

He stared me right in the eyes and addressed his daughter with the following words....
                "A million people in San Antonio and you have to go and find Jeff's roommate for someone to go out with!"

I should also mention that those exact words were spoken with so much disdain that I felt about 3" tall. Which is about how tall I actually was as I cringed and withered with my hand being gripped and twisted in his!

Needless to say, we didn't speak much to each other until about a year before we got married - Aug '95. We also didn't let on to the fact that Kerri and I moved into together about a year after that first meeting. Wouldn't have made things any better, ya know!

But I will say this about the man: He treated me like a son and allowed me into his family with a love that only a parent can bestow. I am forever grateful for having him in my life, sharing countless moments from his, and for the knowledge and wisdom he shared. His passing in February of 2016 came way too soon.

Last edited by kmack; 01-18-2024, 04:33 PM.

Comment

I wouldnt call this rambling at all. Great stories

Comment

Loved the first story about dove hunting, thanks for sharing!

Always fun to take new guys or guys that have never really hunted along. There always seem to be things that happen that a lifetime hunter never even thinks about, we just sorta take for granted so much I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      If you can't laugh at yourself, you've got no right to laugh at anyone else, bravo sir.
                      I laugh at myself all the time, but sometimes I'm the only one that thinks I'm funny!

As my wife says, "I crack my own self up!"

Comment

That first one has me rolling. Keep em coming.

Comment

Good stuff. Love to hear the stories. Keep typing!

Comment

Where does my humor come from?

Looking back thru the years, I'm obviously a guy that likes to laugh. In fact, I'm just a naturally happy kind of person. I love to laugh, sometimes at myself, sometimes at others, and sometimes just at life in general. How else could we make it thru the trials and tribulations that we call an existence?

So where does all this come from? Like anything, we start to learn who we are from our closest relatives, like our immediate family. From those initial learnings, we eventually refine ourselves into the people we become. Both good and bad. I like to think that I'm mostly good, but I do tend to have a bit of a snarky, smart-arse, prankster side to me.

FWIW, my wife is very passive-aggressive and a lot of that rubbed off on our daughter, but don't tell anyone that I told you so!

Most of my jokester side comes from my Dad's side. Starting with my great-grandfather, Willford Mack. My ancestors on that side of the family immigrated from Poland in the late 1890's, but they came into Canada and eventually settled in the farming lands of Alberta not far from Edmonton. They then moved from Alberta to upstate NY to set up more farming lands. In the early 1930's, Willford moved again down to deep South Texas, to the South side of San Benito. I'd like to think that the family humor started with the fact that whenever they moved, they could never move "just a bit down the road." Nah, my family had to move clear across oceans and continents!

The favorite line I heard growing up about my great-grandfather, was from some of his few trips back up North to visit family and friends. When meeting new people, they would always ask where he was from.

The first answer was always, "I'm from San Benito, TX."

"Where's that?"

The 2nd answer was always, "Right next to Rio Hondo!"

Some of y'all might have to look those two towns up, but here's the joke: San Benito had a population of about 33k people when I grew up there in the late 70's - early 80's. In the 40' & 50's I imagine it had quite a few less. Rio Hondo has always been about 1/4 the size of San Benito! He could have easily said Harlingen and most people might have heard about it. But where's the fun in that?

I also got to spend many, many summers with my Grandpa at the farm, both in the cotton fields and the citrus fields. We'd head to the farm first thing in the morning to get the guys lined up for the daily tasks, then head to the golf course in Harlingen. That's when I got to see a totally different side of the man. But I got to drive the golf cart!

Most of what I've heard about my grandfather, Nester Mack, was that he was a very skilled, self-taught man, that could do just about anything. He was a machinist for Kodak-Eastman in Rochester, NY during the late 30's & early 40's. Because of his skills, he was not allowed to enlist in the war! There's also a few stories about having to machine some sort of secret parts for the Military and that may or may not have been some sort of "big bomb' trigger systems, but we can't speak any more about that!
                            He also taught himself how to play the accordion, although I never got to hear him play. He was a pool shark for a time, a card hustler, and probably a few other things. Looking at his and my Grandma's wedding picture, he looks like a total gangster! But I knew the farmer.

Either way, the golf course trips were a hilarious blast to watch. When Grandpa played golf, he never played against himself, it was always playing against someone else, usually for money. He would call his shots every time! He could tell you exactly where the ball would land, every time! Heck, the man had two registered hole-in-ones at the Tony Butler Golf Course there in Harlingen! (That I knew of....)

So, we would start our afternoons out on the front nine with Grandpa shanking a ball here, slicing a ball there, and maybe even loosing one or two. But once we hit the back nine... they were already suckered in by that point!

He'd have a stack of cash by the time we hit the clubhouse after 18. Funny thing was, he'd make some snide comment about not being any good at cards and make the guys think they could win some of the cash back. He was a heck of poker player!

Some of the humor from those two men above also rubbed off on my Dad, but maybe a bit more sinister-like. My Dad usually does a prank with a bit more of a "get even" type mindset. Still funny as hell to watch, but you might feel a bit bad for the recipient, though!

He doesn't stick sugar in a gas tank for revenge, he'll put cheese cloth in. That way the cloth will plug up the fuel line and stop you on the side of the road. But give it a few minutes or a few hours and the cloth will float up off the line and you can start your car again! Dad did that to a fellow mechanic at Delta in Houston years ago. Guy had his car in the shop for over 6 months and eventually sold the car cause they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. That type of sinister!

There was also the time during our move from Houston where Dad and I (in the U-Haul truck) got pulled over by a State Trooper about an hour outside of Victoria. This was summer of '78 when we moved. Trooper was asking my Dad if he knew anything about a U-Haul truck hitting a station wagon and forcing them off the road back around Sugarland. Of course he said no!

Trooper said it was a red-ish orange wagon with a very upset old guy sitting on the side of the road with a smashed rear-end. After he looked the U-Haul over, saw we didn't have red paint on the bumper and eventually left, my Dad and I got back on the road and started to chuckle. Dad actually did hit the old guy in the wagon after he had been in the center lane of the highway doing about 40 mph for quite a few miles. Just like Houston traffic is now, both the left- and right-hand lanes were flying by and this old guy just wouldn't speed up or move out of the way. And the old loaded-down U-Haul just didn't have the umph to get out of its own way. So Dad just stepped on it, hit the guy, pushed him until he sped up and changed lanes. The wagon was actually a spot-on-match for the gold color on our bumper...

Funniest Dad prank...
                            After my great-grandfather passed in the 80's, one of my Dad's cousins started living in the house by himself. Mike was a drunk and that was part of the reason he stayed out at the farm next door to us, so we could try to keep an eye on him. One night, Mike started talking about how he was hearing noises in the house at night, and he thought it was haunted. Both of my great-grandparents died in the house, same room, same bed. Dad got an idea...

Great-grandpa's wheel chair was still in the house so Dad tied some fishing line to it and worked out a way to drag it across the living room floor late at night. Mike started leaving all the lights on after that. Then he started forcing George the German Shepherd (total outside dog) to sleep in the house with him. This went on for a few weeks.

Not only was Mike mostly drunk most of the time (no matter how much we tried to keep him away from the Vodka - his favorite), he was also completely deaf in his right ear. So, one night my Dad goes over to talk with Mike about something, calls his name as he entered the old house thru the back door, and then realizes Mike is on the phone with someone. He stopped in the kitchen and listened while Mike was trying to convince the other person on the phone how haunted the house was and that he couldn't stay there anymore.

Dad jumped around the corner and yelled "BOO" in the loudest voice he could muster (without laughing) and then had to duck as Mike came a couple feet out of the chair and threw the phone across the room! Lots of yelling, cussing, etc. that night!

The next morning, Mike had found one of my sister's large-sized dolls and had left it outside the door to my Dad's shop. It was naked. With ketchup on its chest. Where the knife went thru where it was staked to a wooden post! The letters "Mack" written out in ketchup.

Creepy, but one of the funniest things I've ever seen! My sister wasn't happy....

I think laughing is good for the soul and these stories make me laugh every time! I hope y'all get a laugh or two out of them also.

Comment

'Ol Port and El Viejo

I've never been much into "acting" or any type of plays and such. But this was the most fun I've had pretending to be someone else.

A few of the things Joe got me into was Civil War skirmishing and Cowboy Action Shooting. The Civil War stuff was pretty cool. Black powder rifles and old-style clothes.
                              We were part of group out of La Coste that called themselves 2nd Texas Infantry. Pretty cool shooting competitions.
                              Makes you really think about how bloody the Civil War was when shooting .54 cal slugs (550 gr) at 4x4 posts and it only take 4 or 5 shots to break the 4x4 in half!

But watching the long range guys shoot with open sights out to 300+ yds was absolutely amazing!

Joe is 2nd from the left, and that's me 3rd from the left...

Anyway I digress (again). The Cowboy Action Shooting was a ton of fun! 6-shooters at your side, a shotgun at the ready, and you're dressed like a real old-school cowboy! Sort of...

I went a couple times with Joe prior to determining who I would be (my alter-ego). But shooting in jeans and tennis shoes doesn't really go with the theme of it all. So I had to come up with a name.

Joe, obviously was "El Viejo" (the Old Man [loosely translated], for those not steeped in the Spanish language). But who would I be?

It was shortly after getting involved in this type of shooting, that I received some information from my bio-Mom (another long story) about my family history on my maternal side of the family.
                              Maiden name being Rockwell, it turns out that Porter "old Port" Rockwell was a great-great-great-Uncle of mine.
                              Anyone that knows anything about John Smith and the Mormon culture will recognize Porter Rockwell as the unofficial bodyguard of one John Smith, the founder of the Mormons.
                              Add in a little background info and the guy was a real bad-a**!!! And not in a nice way!

So what better name to name myself, than after a relative! I became "Ol Port!"

We did this sort of thing for quite a few years. We even did some Mountain Man competitions, although I wasn't quite as good in those.
                              Seems trying to split a playing card in half, while shooting at the edge of the card ( ) isn't really my sort of talent!
                              Although I did pretty good at the ax throwing contests. Well before ax throwing became cool!

I still have the period-correct clothes and will sometimes bring them out during Halloween as a costume.
                              Although, I don't walk thru the neighborhood with a "non-functioning" black powder musket on my shoulder anymore.
                              (Stupid snowflakes!)

Talking about all this makes me want to break out the .50 cal Great Plains rifle Joe gave me and start hunting with the old smoke pole again! Been a few years...

Guess I need to tell those stories now!

Comment

Working...
                              X