Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snakelover's (David Harkins) (Snakelover (David Harkins memorial service post #899)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having gone through metastatic squamous carcinoma three years ago with 35 days of radiation and chemo I can attest to the fact it’s a “we” deal. Without the encouragement from my we it woulda been easy to kick the can. Radiation obliterated me. But WE got through it. First year after treatment was horrific, not gonna lie. But once realizing I wasn’t gonna die we raised ourselves up and got better. Keep pushing, y’all. Have faith that it WILL get better.

Comment

Continued prayers for you both! You have an army of prayer warriors out here kneeling behind you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Quick prayer for both, continue to believe and fight.

Rwc

Comment

Continued prayers, thanks for the we commentary.
          Much needed.

Comment

Good morning, TBH'ers. Here is the latest update. While I can't begin to respond to each of you, your prayers and sweet words lift us every day. Thank you.

This week marks 6 months since we walked into the neurologist’s office the day after David’s mri.

There was a kleenex box on “my” chair. The screen, where we would in just moments see the tumor, was blank. We weren’t kept waiting long.

“No appointment necessary. Just come so that we can discuss.”

A tumor on his pons. It can't be biopsied or removed due to the location.

Here we are today, after prayers were answered for David to be accepted into UTSW.

30 radiation treatments later. 3 chemo rounds later. 2 iv therapies later. I’m not sure how many mri’s later.

Symptoms have not let up, but the tumor has not grown.

David uses a walker to get anywhere. His voice is not the voice we have known, and his speech, not always easy to understand.

His right hand and right leg are greatly affected by neuropathy. He uses his left hand for anything requiring fine motor skills.

He has lost quite a bit of weight, going from a size large shirt to a size small. (Thanks again, Mary for hooking us up with a gaggle of size small TBH shirts)

His vision is a challenge. One moment normal, the next - double vision with nystagmus. This affects everything from watching tv, to reading to walking. Ok. Everything that requires vision.

Some days, he feels pressure in his head.

His naps come more frequently.

Then, more prayers answered with in-home therapies from Rehab Without Walls. They specialize in neuro patients.

About 3 days a week, David has speech therapy which isn’t just about speech, y’all. This therapist works with his swallowing, mouth/tongue strengthening, voice, diction skills. Oral functions.

He had a “swallow study” done recently and our goal is to avoid aspiration. This therapist probably works him the hardest.

His occupational therapist also comes to our home 1 to 2 hours three days a week. She works mainly from the waist up. She works with fine motor skills, life functions and adaptations, vision strengthening and core strengthening.

His physical therapist follows the same schedule of visiting about 3 times a week. She helped us pick out some good adaptive equipment, from his walker to a supportive pillow on the sofa. She is also the guru of lymphatic drainage massage. David’s right ankle & foot tend to swell.

This is the first spring.

When the camera used to be at arms reach, it now collects dust. While bird nests pop up, he can no longer be the keeper of spreadsheets, noting egg counts, dates of pipping & fledging.

There is a long list of things he can’t do now.

But, he absolutely loves to hear from you, via messages, texts, cards, etc. I read your comments on fb, tbh, notes, when he can’t. I feel his heart warm as your hearts are shared.

He cleaves to God through devotionals and songs.

You continue to show up as we continue to lean.

Six months.

We’ll keep doing the next thing until God gives us the next direction.

Thanks for loving us.

We will miss Bownanza this year. We will miss y'all.

Mindy

Comment

Thanks for the update Mindy. We will continue to hold you guys up in prayer. God bless you both. We will definitely be thinking of you guys at Nanza and always.
              Please let me know if you need anything.

Comment

More prayers sent from my house!

Comment

Always praying.

Comment

Thanks for the update Mindy. Continued prayers for you and David as you go though the daily challenges.. Prayers for strength, stabilization and good days. God bless you both.....

Comment

Continued prayers

Comment

Mindy,

I breaks my heart seeing the path you’re on. It flashes me back to the same when my wife fought GBM. It was the worst of times and the best thing I ever did in my life - caring for my wife through the struggle. Kristin used to tell me I was the best caretaker she could have. I know David feels the same for you.

Comment

Prayers spoken for David.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you for the update, Mindy. I read it just after you posted. But didn't have words to respond with at the moment. It was very touching.

I continue to pray for you both. And all the caregivers. Keep the fight, David. You are an inspiration! And as always, my prayers will continue.

Comment

Prayers up for both of you.

Comment

Continued prayers and believing for a God miracle for David.

Comment

Working...
                                X