Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Own land other than primary residence..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We did. Its only 2 acres but deer galore to watch and very quiet even though its a neighborhood. We like it and being across the street from a lake its been a lot of fun. We will eventually build a house and maybe retire on it. If thats not enough, 200 acres toward crockett been the family since 1970

Comment

Originally posted by Mace View Post
      We bought a small place 7 or so years ago that we have really enjoyed.. We hunt it and play in the river year round.. I actually have a thread going that I need to update.. My kimble county getaway project
      Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
      We did this. Just closed on 11.75 acres. After selling our property in Kerr county I vowed never again to buy property without an exemption we went from $3,000.00 a year for 10 acres to a little over $100.00 yearly with an exemption. It’s the school taxes that kill you. Now we’re about 120 miles away compared to 250. If we can get back to College Station we’ll be 43 miles away. Exemptions are gold.
      Originally posted by Tbar View Post
      My wife and I did this in our younger years....20 acres 75 miles away. I had a stressful job and getting out to the property was my psychiatrist. The kids grew up going out there on the weekends and now one of them has that property.
      Originally posted by bugbee View Post
      My wife and I had been looking around for a couple of years. Land prices where we live in Grayson Co. have gone crazy. Started looking further north in Oklahoma. Ended up closing on a 52 acre property outside of Clayton back in April of this year.
      Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
      i did it. built a cabin on it and go every single weekend dang year all year long.
      Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
      We did. Its only 2 acres but deer galore to watch and very quiet even though its a neighborhood. We like it and being across the street from a lake its been a lot of fun. We will eventually build a house and maybe retire on it. If thats not enough, 200 acres toward crockett been the family since 1970
      Now, with all that being said.

How far are yall from these properties?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post

101 miles from driveway to gate on the 200

a hair less on the other

Comment

My wife and I have been casually looking @ property in south-central & south-east Oklahoma. Considerably more affordable that anything similar in Texas....for now.

Comment

So, the wife and I are wanting to purchase some acreage.. well, land around our area is outrageous and frankly not an option. $30-50k an acre isnt happening. We arent in a position to move, unfortunately.

We have explored the option of just buying a small parcel here (1-2ac) and purchasing a larger tract elsewhere, building a small cabin, and utilizing it as weekend getaway, etc..

Anyone else do this?

My wife and I bought 40 acres in Oklahoma almost two years ago. We’re planning on building a shop with a small apartment in it this coming year. We’re planning on retiring there in about seven to 10 years. Tired of the rat race in north Texas. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5209.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	24666787
            I usually go every weekend. It’s an hour and 15 minute drive from my house to the gate and I absolutely love it. Started feeding year round and having some nice bucks showing up, and lots of does.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5208.jpg
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	24666788
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5210.jpg
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	24666789

Name:	IMG_5211.jpg
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	24666790

Name:	IMG_5213.jpg
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	24666791

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have 12.5 acres we live on in Liberty county and started looking 2 years ago for a property up around Sam Rayburn. Found a place we paid cash for last year and have been remodeling on weekends. It's in a neighborhood but 2 minutes can be launching the boat and 5 minutes walking into the Angelina National Forest. Most of the people around us at new place are all retired so it is quiet. 1.5 hour driveway to driveway.

Comment

I became a land baron 3yrs ago in Edwards Co. It’s a 20ac Slice of Texas with a small house, water and electricity. We have elk, WT, pigs, aoudads, axis, fallow and blackbuck running around. It’s like fishing in saltwater, you never know whatcha gonna catch lol. Just a few more years and we’ll be living there full time and saying bye bye to the crappy big city life. And best of all our mortgage is less than $400 a month with insurance for 15yrs. It was a freaking steal! Lol

Comment

under 2 hours, prob under an hour from you.

Comment

Congrats! I'm in grayson as well, unfortunately. Prices here are beyond astronomical.. they're downright offensive..

I'm counting on it !! I've got 29 acres, house, barns, pond and wedding venue....ready to retire

Comment

We did something along these lines; all of our kids were young at the time and we lived in a master planned community in the Houston suburbs. We purchased 50 acres about 90 minutes away and it worked great for weekends or even day trips. Then the kids started getting older and more involved in sports.

We flipped that original 50 acres and bought 200 acres about 3 hours away; we don't go up as frequently but now when we do its for longer periods of time. Not sure about your personal situation but we made sure both places already had water/electricity and a place to stay. (first place mobile home/second a house)

Best of luck!
                      Last edited by Rustythebeagle; 11-05-2021, 09:57 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                        My wife and I have been casually looking @ property in south-central & south-east Oklahoma. Considerably more affordable that anything similar in Texas....for now.
                        Same here. Still 2-3 years out on actually pulling the trigger on anything though.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Bought a place last year 30 min from door to gate. Got blinds and feeders set up first thing then a building set for storage right now with a water well and electricity. Ag exemption transferred over with the property and I called the tax office right off the bat to get the skinny on everything.

Comment

2hours, from driveway in sugar land to front gate.

Comment

Bought a 230ac neglected property 245miles away last year. Fixed it up and closed on the sale yesterday. Now we have contract on another property 248ac with potential 82miles from the house.

I went nearly every weekend and twice a week on several occasions. I don’t know what to do with myself this weekend. Looking forward to the shorter drive in a few weeks.

Old place had wildlife exemption, new place is ag exempt. The taxes I paid on equipment and supplies stung.

I’m finding I enjoy working and improving the property more than the hunting. Though being able to provide kids with hunting opportunities is the greatest gift of owning property for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Flagging this for a later read.

Comment

Working...
                                X