Supply chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artos View Post
    Lots of the actual supply is sitting off the west / east coasts in shipping containers simply waiting to be part of the chain...
    ^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Ships are stacked up waiting to be off loaded in California and the east coast. The California problem with lockdowns has created a national issue. The democrats are not forcing the dock workers to go back to work. California, I did not know until recently, is heavily unionized and it is virtually impossible for independent contractors to operate. But I digress. Ships are normally backed up 2-3 deep. Right now they are 7-9 deep. Off loading ships is proceeding at a fraction of the pace it was in 2019.

Comment

So what I am reading is that the main cause of all of this is that "when one worker tests positive for COVID, they shut down the entire manufacturing plant".

Is that truly the only reason? Or are there other factors that are playing a part? Will it be possible ever for things to get back to normal?

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
        So what I am reading is that the main cause of all of this is that "when one worker tests positive for COVID, they shut down the entire manufacturing plant".

Is that truly the only reason? Or are there other factors that are playing a part? Will it be possible ever for things to get back to normal?
        It is not covid.

The manufacturers don't have enough employees, the people supplying those manufacturers don't have enough employees. The shipping companies don't have enough employees.

This was coming. Covid just exposed it with a bunch of boomers retiring sooner than anticipated last year and there is nobody to take their place. Extended unemployment benefit didn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by erikm1981 View Post
          Restaurant biz and every week my suppliers are out of something and it’s getting more and more frequent and expanding to more items each week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I closed my restaurant back in May due to no workers. I still have my food accounts. Just for fun last week I went into my Sysco account and looked at my purchase history list. I was amazed at how many products were unavailable and the ones that were available had gone way up in price since May. I don't envy you.

Comment

Not covid

On our side of the cluster duck. A big part of it is that we sent all our “dirty” manufacturing to China-part epa making it impossible to run a plant profitably, part unions making morons into $40.00/hour guys (I know not all union guys are bad), part greed, part lazy Americans.

Part the olympics, China wants to look good so they are rationing power and forcing plants to stop producing so they have “clean air” when the world is watching. When are we going to learn not to feed people that want to kill us?
            Last edited by dosrobles; 09-28-2021, 09:55 AM.

Comment

So glad I’m out of that business
              Some of the inspection companies are starting to mandate the jab therefore they are loosing workers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I know most on here don't do Twitter, but for those that do, @man_integrated is a tremendous resource on this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                  I was in a truck stop last week and there wasn’t a Diet Coke of any shape to be found, bottled or fountain. I was in a Walmart today and they had five 2 liter bottles of Diet Coke in the whole store. Every where I go there are shelves empty of a certain product.
                  Been noticing coke products having empty shelves....friggin' hilarious. Don't drink em but getting other stuff for inlaws/mom etc. Could it be karma?! Be less white!

Comment

So lets predict how this will affect us all in 3-6 months.

Comment

issues we are seeing in our business residential development:

1. PVC and wet utilities supplies - resin manufactured got hit by Hurricane Ida
                      2. Lime (for roads and paving) - short supply - not sure why
                      3. Trees - still not recovered from Feb freeze.

Yes, the LA ports are a mess. I'm hearing 60+ container ships and 10 day delay on unloading.

Comment

A Chyrsler Dealer today told me his inventory went up 19% in the last 30 days. Thats like having 400k on the shelves - to having 480K on the shelves...

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                          So where can one invest and make money? Will this cause markets to drop around the holidays? Make bulk shippers stock rise?

Don’t ever invest in tankers! Trust me, almost 25 years in the business and I wouldn’t touch it. Lots of hedge funds got burned in the last 15 years investing in tankers.
                          Right now the domestic market is so short product we are sucking wind, exports have just completely diminished and my best educated prediction based on what i see is that we are 18months from recovering and that’s if the republicans can take back control of the house and senate

People don’t have any idea how close to the cliff we are in terms of the supply chain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                            Oil is projected to improve. Fingers crossed it returns some stability to the market and improves supply chain woes.

https://www.reuters.com/business/ene...22-2021-09-27/

Oil is about to be in short supply
                            We are already experiencing shortages of bunker fuel for our ships
                            Biden has screwed us more than people realize

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                              I didn't know there was and just looked online, that's not good at all.

Even worse they can’t get fertilizer

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                                Fragile is a bit subjective being that the “experts” took a sledgehammer to it and then set it on fire.

I would agree it’s fragile
                                Everyone (majors) have moved to just in time supply to avoid the capital expense of having additional stock in the tanks, what we see happening is a result of ZERO slack in the system.

Comment

Working...
                                X