Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Supply chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am an inspector for the city of Austin and the contractors are struggling to access material in every trade.

Comment

This is a good article as to what’s going on with the shipping industry. I work in this industry and this is exactly what we are dealing with in the Houston area. Just not as bad as the west coast yet.

Nike Inc. doesn’t have enough sneakers to sell for the holidays. Costco Wholesale Corp. is reimposing limits on paper towel purchases. Prices for artificial Christmas trees have jumped 25% this season.

The executive director of the Port of Long Beach, the largest container port complex in the United States, warned of an industry “crisis” over supply chain disruptions.

Comment

Originally posted by dosrobles View Post
        On our side of the chemical market phosphonate production world wide is down 90%. We use various forms in many of the chemicals we sell (originated from china of course).

Sulfamic acid is unavailable-which is a key component of another chemical we need. I can shift to chlorine, but that market is stressed right now and will not do well when every water chemistry company in the US starts hoarding g bleach.

We just got a 38% price increase on stabilized bromine, on top of the 30 % we got last year.

I suspect other markets are messed up but they don’t feed me so I pay less attention. Better buy those Christmas presents now!

Who do you work for if you don’t mind me asking. Water treatment here as well. Found out we’re having issues getting TTA and got an email today that many of our waste water polymer lead times have doubled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The ports are a mess with lots of finger pointing from all concerned. Our biggest port - Long Beach - does not work 24/7 like most of the world due to union rules. The union blames lack of rail capacity and lack of truck drivers. That may be true, I have no idea who is at fault but the end result of this cluster is hundreds of container ships idling off the coast waiting their turn, burning fuel which drives prices up even further and causing more delays. Why would you send a ship from China when you don’t have any idea when you will be able to unload?

Comment

Yup turning on the used parts world. Buy it anywhere you can find it....

Comment

Biden's fault

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                The ports are a mess with lots of finger pointing from all concerned. Our biggest port - Long Beach - does not work 24/7 like most of the world due to union rules. The union blames lack of rail capacity and lack of truck drivers. That may be true, I have no idea who is at fault but the end result of this cluster is hundreds of container ships idling off the coast waiting their turn, burning fuel which drives prices up even further and causing more delays. Why would you send a ship from China when you don’t have any idea when you will be able to unload?

That’s what I read in those articles… port workers don’t want to work OT, or port won’t pay. Blaming truckers, etc, but it’s hard to deny the role of unloading capacity.

Port of Houston… same or worse? Is this a Cali/China problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                  No one to blame except American companies like Goodyear, Monsanto, Air Products, etc for designing and building facilities overseas. They killed American jobs doing it. Now, the valve that controls the flow is on the enemies side of the fence.

You **** well better hope refineries don’t go this route. With govt mandates nothing surprises me any longer.
                  While I'm not a fan of them sending the jobs overseas, the fact is if those factories were still here there would still be issues because there is a major labor shortage in almost every industry. We simply don't have the willing manpower to build all that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                    No one to blame except American companies like Goodyear, Monsanto, Air Products, etc for designing and building facilities overseas. They killed American jobs doing it. Now, the valve that controls the flow is on the enemies side of the fence.

You **** well better hope refineries don’t go this route. With govt mandates nothing surprises me any longer.
                    EPA regs had a role in that too.

All of this begs the question of why we aren’t using Mexico for production? Seems like it would kill 2 birds. Create an economy and jobs in Mexico so they don’t come here and make the transit path shorter and more reliable
                    Last edited by Playa; 09-27-2021, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Supply chain

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                      EPA regard had a role in that too.

All of this begs the question of why we aren’t using Mexico for production? Seems like it would kill 2 birds. Create an economy and jobs in Mexico so they don’t come here and make the transit path shorter and more reliable

No doubt.
                      Auto and SXS brands have done so successfully.

It must be waaaay cheaper to employ overseas than down south.

Comment

You can state epa regs, taxes, etc all you like. It was about money and greed. These foreign countries got into the back pockets of these companies and worked them like puppets.

The facilities that remained here are still functioning and making money. That is until China cuts their supplies off.

Comment

Originally posted by cvanbrunt View Post
                          Who do you work for if you don’t mind me asking. Water treatment here as well. Found out we’re having issues getting TTA and got an email today that many of our waste water polymer lead times have doubled.

I own my own little company in Central Texas. We are in Houston and Dallas a little bit. I have worked for Nalco in the past……..waaay I’m the past

Comment

All the last few posts (except mine) are part of it. Unions, EPA, lazy Americans, useless politicians, the worship of money over G-d, horrible trade deals. We have allowed ourselves to be led to where we are are.

Comment

Originally posted by erikm1981 View Post
                              Restaurant biz and every week my suppliers are out of something and it’s getting more and more frequent and expanding to more items each week.

I’m in the same boat as you. Paper goods and foam containers are our biggest challenge. Will come a day when take out orders will require the consumer to bring their own containers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                Don’t kid yourselves for a second, this not a COVID problem, it’s a government handout problem.

I think it’s a combination of both but I do agree with Dale. Take the cheese off of the table and watch the rats go back to work or starve to death.

Comment

Working...
                                X