• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
    Puma I have one that is about 40 yrs old
    My brother gave it to me
    dang thing stays super sharp
    I don't know the quality of Puma now but back then they were pretty high quality

Comment

A zillion good choices out there. Some thing easily available, reasonably easy to sharpen, and will last forever, just get a Buck. 118, 119, 120, 105, choose the style you like.

Comment

My hunting go to knife is this Puma Skinner, passed down to me by my dad in the 1980's.
        Great knife, better memories
        I am sure they still sell them somewhere.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
          Should have asked "what makes it your favorite?"

Blade shape? Handle shape? How long it stays sharp?

My favorites have good stories, and a blade that stays sharp. I have several different handles, all just OK, and several different blade shapes. I know what I like though

The Morakniv has a carbon blade so it’s easy to lap an edge on her in the field. It’s not a forged blade but it has a good edge with a bevel that will easily slice through a pig’s sternum.
          The blade shape and length allows the user to perform just about any cutting chore that needs doing.
          The handle is easy to grip and is comfortable in the hand at any angle.
          It is light and doesn’t wear out the hand.
          It’s a good knife at a very reasonable price.
          It just works and works well.

You might think that you're redneck
          But I'm rednecker than you

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
            I've got a duffel bag full of knives and always end up with the KOA Whitetail Hunter on my belt. This thing's done everything I could ever want. I use the gut hook to build brush blinds and it's broken down literal tons of antelope and deer from head to toe in the field without sharpening.
            https://www.knivesofalaska.com/Store...range-suregrip
            After seeing this I just ordered one as a present.

I carry a handmade knife given to me by a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
              Anything Buck, bought my first when I was 10, still have it, 53 years old.

Second, Cutco.
              yep. I have lots of knives but a buck folder with replaceable blades that I bought 40+ years ago always goes with me. It's a folder and didn't meet the OP's criteria but anything by Buck usually works well.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                I've got a duffel bag full of knives and always end up with the KOA Whitetail Hunter on my belt. This thing's done everything I could ever want. I use the gut hook to build brush blinds and it's broken down literal tons of antelope and deer from head to toe in the field without sharpening.
                https://www.knivesofalaska.com/Store...range-suregrip
                X2. Been using this since 2010. Great knife IMO. Mine has a black handle though.

Comment

Gerber Gator

Comment

KOA cub bear

Comment

I bet I have a dozen Buck 110 hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Snapperhead94 View Post
                        This one for me too.

Comment

WRasco
                          That Puma is a classic. Great size and balance and a crazy hard sharp edge.
                          About 6 years ago I bought a group of 5 Skinnners directly from Puma Germany. They looked identical to the standard Skinner and had the same steel but they were assembled in Spain (Puma IP as I recall).
                          They were on close out for 45 Euros so after shipping to US they cost me about $55 each. They all ended up as Xmas presents.
                          I have never gotten in on a deal like that before or since!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                            Should have asked "what makes it your favorite?"

Blade shape? Handle shape? How long it stays sharp?

My favorites have good stories, and a blade that stays sharp. I have several different handles, all just OK, and several different blade shapes. I know what I like though

Kabar mk1 navy. Blade shape is about perfect imo. I think it's called a flat grind (you would know better than me) so it slices well. Handle is round and stacked leather, so it is comfortable for what I do with it regardless of blade direction. Also the leather has great gription when bloody. Made of 1095 steel so tough and holds a good edge, but still sharpens easy.

I was looking at getting a knife built, but stumbled on to the mk1 and decided that it would do all I ever needed

Comment

I have carried a knife like this all over the us and into Canada. Has been my go for at least 15 years...maybe a few more . My absolute favorite. Would love to have it duplicated out of quality materials. Very heavy blade. At least 3/16 thick. I have never had a better knife for splitting a ribcage.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                Buck Vanguard. Have had mine since 1994.

My buddy rounded the tip off accidentally showing me how well his worksharp worked.... but other than that its still a great knife. Its still in my pack but the replaceables come out first. The guthook in the pic was an add-on

[ATTACH]1062864[/ATTACH]
                                i agree, only because my Gerber gator folder wasn't allowed as an option, or my Kershaw black horse..

Comment

Working...
                                X