Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Tankless water heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tankless water heater

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
    Idk, the builder designed it that way. Both of my Naviens are 240A….so I’m not sure if they are different or even have circulation pumps? I guess not, since even having 2 of them it takes longer than that for hot water [emoji848]

Id have a word with your builder. The 240A has a built in circulation pump. They should have ran a return line to one (or both but thats a wasted 2 grand) of the water heaters.

Do you have a pic or know if they ran a return line? Id really look into this. Having instant (within 2 seconds) hot water is pretty nice.

Hopefully they didnt do some manifold water distribution block.

Last edited by DedDuk; 09-14-2021, 07:48 AM.

Comment

I’ve had both. I prefer a tank. Cheaper to fix and replace, no psi drop, less maintenance. You are supposed to flush a tankless with vinegar once a year I believe. Also for some reason, when I replaced my tank with a tankless, it took a noticeably longer time to get hot water to kitchen sink. Granted it was on the other side of house. But house was only 1600ft. Also with washer filling, and shower on, turning on kitchen sink there was a noticeable pressure drop from hot to cold.

Heater was navien

Yes gas was sized properly and house was replumbed in pex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Love ours. We went gas. Only way to go. You can get them sized to cover the whole house. If you don’t want to wait For hot water, they make recirculating pulps or something like that too. I’m not that worried about it.

Comment

I have a tankless at out Okie Place. Electric on two 50 amp breakers.

Comment

they are nice. add a recirc pump either way.

note as others have mentioned this is not a quick retro fit. you need to have new venting which is not cheap (concentric vents that bring in fresh air), you will need an outlet to plug the unit into (unlike a tank heater), and you will need to ensure adequate gas supply depending on size of unit. a half inch gas line will probably not be enough for an 8 or 9 GPM unit which could mean plumbing work is needed to redo the gas supply lines.

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
              I installed a NG Rinnai about 10 years ago and it was one of the best additions to the house I have done.

As already stated, need to make sure of good water and large enough gas supply. Most gas tank water heaters only have 1/2 ran to them and the whole home NG tankless usually need at least 3/4. That was fun running the 3/4.

I suggest going for it.

J
              I have tankless and well water and even with a softener I have to flush with vinegar twice a year to avoid repairs. Not a big deal and really happy with propane tankless

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                I think the issue is the electric isn’t conducive to adding after the house is built as it isn’t easy to add capacity and load runs to your loadcenter.

My gas bill is usually +/-$25 a month, and most of that is meter charge. My dryer and furnace are also gas.
                The electric is easier to add than the gas. Running wire is much cheaper than running pipe and no vent is needed. I put mine in our last house, under the bathroom sink after the house was built.

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                  Id have a word with your builder. The 240A has a built in circulation pump. They should have ran a return line to one (or both but thats a wasted 2 grand) of the water heaters.

Do you have a pic or know if they ran a return line? Id really look into this. Having instant (within 2 seconds) hot water is pretty nice.

Hopefully they didnt do some manifold water distribution block.
                  Idk I will check into it. I know one thing….I DO NOT have instant hot water or even close to it. It takes at least 5 to maybe even 8-10 seconds for the water to reach temp. I assume ambient temperature matters.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                    Idk I will check into it. I know one thing….I DO NOT have instant hot water or even close to it. It takes at least 5 to maybe even 8-10 seconds for the water to reach temp. I assume ambient temperature matters.
                    No. It should be plumbed in a loop. From water heater to bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, yada yada, and then from the last drop it should have a return line going to the water heater again. The circulation pump will keep the loop supplied with hot water. Your Navien has a few settings to choose from. Ultimately, it conserves water and gas.

Comment

I have an electric in my shop which is basically what you would call a barndo. I have a 220 volt on demand water heater and I only use it for sinks and a large tub for doing dishes. I am not happy at all with it. Water is not hot enough. I blew a breaker inside the water heater all the time so I have removed the internal breaker kind of hoping it will overheat and melt. Also when you first turn the water on it is extremely hot if the heater has been on. This causes issues especially with kids around as it is easy to put your hands under the faucet and when that sudden squirt of extremely hot water comes you can get burnt. I think the better more expensive on demand water heaters may be better but I don't like the low end one I have at all.

Comment

Ok yall don't bang me up too bad. After looking at everything including time, cost and availability on tankless I decided to just go to a 50 gallon 9year Rheem.

659 plus the supply lines then I got a 10% discount because I complained about a dent lol.

I went ahead and installed it myself. Ez since it was in the garage.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

FYI,
                          We have had our navien for 5 years. A couple of weeks ago the water temp would fluctuate at times. Long story short I haven’t performed the recommended flushing it once a year. I called a plumber out today they performed this very simple task. I felt like a DA after watching them and what it entailed. I should have done my homework. You can buy the pump and hoses needed for $125 give or take, get the solution or make your own. There are videos out there I should have looked into. Lesson learned.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                            FYI,
                            We have had our navien for 5 years. A couple of weeks ago the water temp would fluctuate at times. Long story short I haven’t performed the recommended flushing it once a year. I called a plumber out today they performed this very simple task. I felt like a DA after watching them and what it entailed. I should have done my homework. You can buy the pump and hoses needed for $125 give or take, get the solution or make your own. There are videos out there I should have looked into. Lesson learned.
                            Do you have to flush it if you have a water softener?

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
                              Ok yall don't bang me up too bad. After looking at everything including time, cost and availability on tankless I decided to just go to a 50 gallon 9year Rheem.

659 plus the supply lines then I got a 10% discount because I complained about a dent lol.

I went ahead and installed it myself. Ez since it was in the garage.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
                              You made the right call.

You go gas or electric?

Comment

Gas only. Wouldn't build another house without it!

Comment

Working...
                                X