No announcement yet.

post Hurricane Ida pictures from Port Fourchon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to see that! Hoping for more positive reports, but I know there were other areas that weren't as lucky/well prepared.

Comment

Amazing

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
        1mm people without power, thousands now homeless, unsafe drinking water, 4 deaths & counting, unknown injured...ignorance is curable, stupid is forever.

Agree 100% unfortunately more and more on here with an incurable affliction

Comment

Originally posted by Howdy View Post
          It looks like a trailer park was there in the second picture, but got wiped out for all but one remaining trailer.
          as noted below, pretty sure those are parking space rentals for people with RV's and campers. The older, unstable mobile home trailers were phased out years ago due to safety reasons. Newer built camps are obviously up to code. Very impressive roof builders

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
          I was wondering if this was a trailer park or RV park with one office. Looks rough either way.
          Originally posted by Artos View Post
          How did your home / neighborhood fare Blake??
          Everything East of the Atchafalaya Basin got hammered. I experienced 10-40mph winds and light rain for 8-10 hours. Tree limbs and leaves down in the yard, no loss of fence are other structural damages ... Thank You Jesus !!

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
            I experienced 10-40mph winds and light rain for 8-10 hours. Tree limbs and leaves down in the yard, no loss of fence are other structural damages ... Thank You Jesus !!
            That is great to hear. And I am very grateful for the relatively minimal damages that seem to have occurred. I know it's still bad, but certainly it could have been a lot worse.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdCoastHunter View Post
              Ida was a dud. All hype as per usual.
              why would you post something so stupid ?

thousands of people have lost their homes, cars, and possibly jobs and you go 1000% Full IDIOT mode

Comment

My dad was an engineer and a licensed building inspector. He always marveled at scenes like that and commented "... see, this is why you should build your home according to the latest storm category standards... " and then add "... these homes were built with extra ties to make them able to withstand a C5 storm..."

I know it's the little things that make a big difference in these homes standing up to a big one like that.

I'm so glad that no lives were lost on this one either!

Comment

Don't worry about that dude, CB. I find little people like that go away on their own when they are completely ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdCoastHunter View Post
                    Ida was a dud. All hype as per usual.
                    Moron action day.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                      I'm so glad that no lives were lost on this one either!
                      I think 4 lives were were lost so far ... wind blew a tree over onto someone's home, and a 71-yr old man was eaten by an alligator Could very well be true, as that story sounds kinda fishy. I think grandma will be interviewed to confirm actual COD

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2...-flooded-yard/

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                        I was expecting complete devastation since the Eye wall and 160+ mph winds battered Fourchon for 12 hours. Pictures taken yesterday afternoon, less than 24 hours after the storm. Definitely miraculous and many people are relieved to see the damages from pics below.

"with not as much damages as expected."

Whatever architects and builders who constructed those camps should be getting lots of referrals for business.
                        This may very well come off wrong but can anyone explain the "lack of expected damage." I do not want to come off as callous, I know what they have been through having lost a house in Rita, 17 days without power, Ike flooded a new 6 month old home with 4' of water and then Harvey flooded the same house. I was involved with projects at Holly Beach and Crystal Beach and saw the total devastation within days of landfall.

Is it the newly updated construction protocols? Was the storm surge not what they expected? I understand the Laplace situation with the levee being breached to cause the flooding. For the duration and strength of the reported winds, I, as most everyone, expected Grand Isle and Fourchon being leveled, much like Holly Beach and Crystal Beach.

Any input would be appreciated for understanding.

Comment

The eye didn’t go directly over them is what I’m thinking.

Comment

I saw a documentary on the building homes on the Florida coast. They were showing the xtra stuff they do now such as hurricane ties, roof are built with multiple angles to deflect the wind, hurricane proof windows, and on and on. They showed the hurricane damage after their last hurricane and houses built with the new standards were still standing while one next door was wiped out as it was older construction.
                            It was pretty interesting.

Comment

I think the surge on Ida wasn’t much more than 8-10’ in Fourchon. I had a Buddy sending pics as the eye passed over them. Water was a few feet deep on the docks. It wasn’t up to the rooftops like it was in Holly and Crystal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                                This may very well come off wrong but can anyone explain the "lack of expected damage." I do not want to come off as callous, I know what they have been through having lost a house in Rita, 17 days without power, Ike flooded a new 6 month old home with 4' of water and then Harvey flooded the same house. I was involved with projects at Holly Beach and Crystal Beach and saw the total devastation within days of landfall.

Is it the newly updated construction protocols? Was the storm surge not what they expected? I understand the Laplace situation with the levee being breached to cause the flooding. For the duration and strength of the reported winds, I, as most everyone, expected Grand Isle and Fourchon being leveled, much like Holly Beach and Crystal Beach.

Any input would be appreciated for understanding.
                                I don't know about Crystal beach but holly beach was nothing but junk, shacks and trailers.

Comment

Working...
                                X