This is why ranching sucks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is why ranching sucks.

For the TBH ranchers, this will be obvious. We run about 75 acres of dedicated hay fields. They get fertilizer and weed killer. We also graze the pastures, just to keep from making a third cut, in the late fall.

Last year, we got over 325 bales off that land, with just two cuttings. We are good on hay. We have over 475 bales, remaining from previous years cuts.

Here is where the problems start, for this year.

1. The cutter is broken. My father and son, both hooked the shroud support, on a telephone pole and a fence post, respectively. My father just hooked up a chain, and bent the shroud support back in place. Not a good idea. When my son hooked it, it was basically hanging by a thread. I temporarily fixed, by welding patches on the arm. That lasted for the 25 acres I needed cut, but then completely failed.

2. Now, I need to bail 35 more acres, but here is where the problems start. We just got 5" of rain, and army worms are coming out. Too wet to either cut hay or spray for worms, for the next 4-5 days. Maybe that gives me time to get the cutter fixed.

3. My best hope is that it dries up, quickly. Then I can cut or spray 25 acres, but the remaining 10 acres, will be too flooded to work.

Did I mention, I am trying to seal up my barndo, fix a bunch of gates, and fix a bunch of low water crossings?

Oh, and we have about 20 calves that need to be separated and sold!

It could be worse. I could still be working for Raytheon, getting a daily dose of Diversity, Inclusion, or Equity.

Randy

Finally! Somebody with some real world problems!

Naw, really man, that bites. Good luck to ya.

Comment

Yes sir, when it rains, it pours, BUT there ain’t anything else I’d rather do.

Comment

Im sorry to hear about the rough patch you are going through right now
        It sound like you dont really need the hay for personal use since you have so much stored away...so that's a good thing. Maybe it will dry out and you can get the rest cut.

Never forget that you have at least 75 acres that you get to work with your dad and your son.

Yes it's hard. But I'd give up my desk job in a second to be in the position are in. I only hope that someday I can have half the land you do, but by that time my dad will probably be too old to help and my son will be moved out of the house.

Keep your chin up, it's only hay and a cutter. Take a step back and see what a blessing you have in front of you and how there are thousands who would trade places with you in a moment, to be self employed, working alongside family on family land.

Peace to you

Comment

Dad had his baler burn up a couple weeks ago. You tried finding a new baler recently? Luckily he was able to locate one, after swapping pto and tires it was supposed to have been delivered yesterday. 80yrd old and still running over 300 head.

Comment

I know a whole bunch of folks, that would trade places
            with you, in a heartbeat..
            But, it does seems to get frustrating sometimes.
            Good luck to ya.

Comment

Sir I don't know what you are talking about. Unfortunately I am young and not raised in the country. But I know you know what I mean when I say I fully understand your last paragraph. Fully. Good luck to you. I know it will all work out.
              Last edited by ctom87; 08-20-2021, 12:32 AM.

Comment

I would definitely love to be dealing with those problems. I would much rather have to worry about farming problems than city life problems any day of the week.

Look at it this way, at least you had the rain and weren't praying for any rain to come through because you needed it just to make ends meet. Sometimes we just have to stop a second and think about the blessings we have right in front of us that we think may be a problem. I pray things start looking up for ya and your able to get those calves worked and hay cut and make a profit from it all.

Comment

Sounds like a typical week for most farmers.

Comment

Sounds like most people that have equipment and employees. Tomorrow will be better

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Felt it.

Comment

The old saying, "when it rains, it pours", isn't just about Morton salt. Sorry for your troubles. It sounds as if it is time to turn the cattle into that hay patch.

Comment

The ranching/cattle business is something you better enjoy doing because problems are non. If I didn’t like doing it I would just lease my ranches.

Comment

Plano- before i let it go to waste - call around and see if someone with working bailer wants to split with you. I know its not what you had planned but it buys time and keeps it from laying.

Comment

Trust me. Those are good problems to have. You could be living in the armpit aka Katy.

Comment

Working...
                              X