This is why ranching sucks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by planomustang View Post
    For the TBH ranchers, this will be obvious. We run about 75 acres of dedicated hay fields. They get fertilizer and weed killer. We also graze the pastures, just to keep from making a third cut, in the late fall.

Last year, we got over 325 bales off that land, with just two cuttings. We are good on hay. We have over 475 bales, remaining from previous years cuts.

Here is where the problems start, for this year.

1. The cutter is broken. My father and son, both hooked the shroud support, on a telephone pole and a fence post, respectively. My father just hooked up a chain, and bent the shroud support back in place. Not a good idea. When my son hooked it, it was basically hanging by a thread. I temporarily fixed, by welding patches on the arm. That lasted for the 25 acres I needed cut, but then completely failed.

2. Now, I need to bail 35 more acres, but here is where the problems start. We just got 5" of rain, and army worms are coming out. Too wet to either cut hay or spray for worms, for the next 4-5 days. Maybe that gives me time to get the cutter fixed.

3. My best hope is that it dries up, quickly. Then I can cut or spray 25 acres, but the remaining 10 acres, will be too flooded to work.

Did I mention, I am trying to seal up my barndo, fix a bunch of gates, and fix a bunch of low water crossings?

Oh, and we have about 20 calves that need to be separated and sold!

It could be worse. I could still be working for Raytheon, getting a daily dose of Diversity, Inclusion, or Equity.

Randy
    That’s a normal day there hand!!!

Comment

Originally posted by planomustang View Post
      It could be worse. I could still be working for Raytheon, getting a daily dose of Diversity, Inclusion, or Equity.

Randy
      your own words my friend

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          Can I borrow the shovel when your done? I sold some bull calves. One brought $3 and the other $5. I’m gonna bury the money in jars for a rainy day fund!
          Lol. Gotta love those dairy bull calves. While I was in college at Tarleton I worked at ECDS and for a dairy. That's a tough business to be in.

Comment

Ranching is 90% fixing sh** that breaks, and 10% ranching. I love it but am grateful it’s not the only thing upon which my livelihood is based.

Comment

I was raised on a dairy from birth to ten years old. This started in 1947 so not much automation was involved unless you count the fact that as soon as the cows got their heads in the stall they were gonna crap………automatically. Those were the best years of my life ! Why ? Because I didn’t know any better and all I had to do was put the feed in the trough, wash the cows bags, shovel up the crap, let some more cows in the lane, and help my brother wash up the dairy barn and the milkers. Every night, 24/7/365. I had no clue what my daddy was going through trying to make a living through seven years of the worst drought in recent Texas history. Yes, ranching and farming are hard sometimes, but you do it because you get to make your own mistakes and have your own successes. Good luck Sir !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                I was raised on a dairy from birth to ten years old. This started in 1947 so not much automation was involved unless you count the fact that as soon as the cows got their heads in the stall they were gonna crap………automatically. Those were the best years of my life ! Why ? Because I didn’t know any better and all I had to do was put the feed in the trough, wash the cows bags, shovel up the crap, let some more cows in the lane, and help my brother wash up the dairy barn and the milkers. Every night, 24/7/365. I had no clue what my daddy was going through trying to make a living through seven years of the worst drought in recent Texas history. Yes, ranching and farming are hard sometimes, but you do it because you get to make your own mistakes and have your own successes. Good luck Sir !
                Fun fact:

I looked up 1947 prices $4.90 a cwt

Today $16.90

So just quick math about 4x!!!!!!…….

But just a truck new cost under $2k… x4= I can’t buy a new truck for $8k
                Prices were higher in real numbers 2001…

I don’t love anything on earth enough to be a slave to it

Comment

Can’t take $$ with you. Buy a new cutter. You only get to live this life once. That many acres you don’t need anything fancy

Comment

You said it...better than working for Raytheon...at least you can sleep at night.

By the way, I thought ranching trees would be easier, but did you know they are worse on fences? My equipment takes a beating in the woods.
                    Last edited by El Paisano; 08-20-2021, 07:39 AM. Reason: More

Comment

I lease my pasture land out, and it's still a PITA sometimes... Fences are mine and the guy who runs cattle on my place is constantly having issues with keepin' his cattle penned up... I LOVE RIBEYES because primarily I know a cow has to die for me to get one!! I'm old enough to retire, and will in a little over a year. I had to work cattle, cut hay, stack hay in the barn, all that crap when I was growin' up... Only thing about it that I like now is that it is nostalgic and brings me back to my youth. I for dang sure don't want to be saddled with HAVING to do it any longer. I enjoy what I do every day for a living and when I retire, you can bet your arses I won't be back into ranching/farming!! I never worked harder in my life and got paid less... I'll sit on the porch and watch the guy who leases my pasture work... Sometimes it's pretty entertaining ...

Comment

Teach them how to drive. Boom!! Problem solved.

Comment

Cut my last bale and sold my last cow in 2012. People either got cows in their blood or they don’t. I don’t. After running 200+ mama cows for years in what was basically a 2nd full time job, I’ve found that HEB has exactly what I need when I need it.

I still love land, but I ain’t gonna be a slave to it for no **** cow. Never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                            Cut my last bale and sold my last cow in 2012. People either got cows in their blood or they don’t. I don’t. After running 200+ mama cows for years in what was basically a 2nd full time job, I’ve found that HEB has exactly what I need when I need it.

I still love land, but I ain’t gonna be a slave to it for no **** cow. Never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            AMEN!!!!

More like why cows suck! Bailing hay is a lose proposition. Buy the hay and be done

Comment

Those problems don't go away because it is the weekend or a holiday. I remember helping my Dad bust up the ice on the pond so the cows could drink on Christmas morning.

Comment

If you have that much hay left over, you need to find someone to bale on halves. You have enough hay for what you need, plus won't have to deal with the baling or equipment.

Comment

Working...
                                X