Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Beach and jetty fishing - Need pro advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ran 65 lb braid on a 4/0 wide, 6/0 wide and 9/0 wide

The 4/0 and 6/0 with stock drags - 21 lbs - with fade after sustained runs. You use the thumbs for additional pressure - and you know when you need to apply that - that last 100 yards before you get spooled - if it wants to go there - you can't stop them.

The 9/0 carbon fiber drag kit upgrade from Alan Tani - still barely pushed 30lbs sustained drag - so the risk of out pressuring the line from the reel's drag - ain't gonna happen.

You want YARDS AND YARDS of line.

The reason why most went to AVET 80 wides on PINS = KAYAKS

You run out 400 - 500 yard sets - slightly angled up into the prevailing current, so weed that does find the line, works it way back to you to clear as well as a bit of edge on the current's drag against the line.

Spotting 500 yards - and then tying into an 8ft bull shark - roughly 200 lbs or so - he will run that 80 out if he opts to swing down current and make a go

The amount of line left on the spool, coupled with the lock down maximum fighting pressure of the reel - 21 lbs or 30 lbs - is not gonna cut it. A 2 speed 80 wide - can push 120 lbs of drag so that extra 75% DRAG PRESSURE - gives folks that run these setups a chance on big fish - and even then - 80 wides get spooled on PINS regularly.

I size my setup based on the shark species and sets out in yards - keeping the reels as packed with line that is half over the total of the reels drag.

65lb PowerPro braid fit the star drag reels - even the Alan Tani drag kit modified 9/0

A standard 9/0 will work an 8ft shark

But I've flown over PINS in USCG HH-65 Helicopters thru the 1990s - Tigers up to 14ft swam the third bar at sunrise looking for stingrays - shark pancakes. The moment they felt and spotted us hovering overhead - adios! Amazing to watch these big animals blaze it out into the deep blue - us on them till they found depth and gone.

My son Austin had a blast with catch and release blacktips - fishing the 2nd and 3rd guts on short sets. You hook a blacktip in shallow water, they will jump, and we had many jump - They leap over the 3rd sandbar - trying to clear that shallow zone by simply flying. Not pretty jumpers - grayhound a bit and sideways a bit at times but they pull it off.

This one was a jumper - 4/0 wide 65lb PP Braid - custom 6ft sevalon leader with a 100lb mono top shot of 100 yards. The old trusty Fenwick shark rod - has put a lot on the sand during my Son's informative years.

It's a good young beginner sharker setup, and he can wade out and side arm casts with a decent long rod (Roy has some nice jawbreakers for just this), make his set, and fish hard.

Add yak - run that 4/0 wide on the back side of 4th bar then it's 6/0 time to 5 and 6 then it's 9/0 and it aint going out more than 250 yards.

To lay over a 1/4 mile out - 80 WIDE

Even a 50 wide - will get spooled - drag hits 55 lbs maybe 60 lbs with 2 speed setups

Last edited by AtTheWall; 08-17-2021, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
      There’s a few ways to look at the braid/mono thing.

You go lighter scale (50/65 lb) braid and just use it as backing for if you get a fish that’s long winded. This braid is stronger than the drag number a 6/0 would put out and gives you added line capacity for the fight. But you would be best to spool it with a more abrasive top shot of say 80-100lb mono and when deployed that’s the only part that’s in the water taking the abuse.

Or if you would rather go nearly all braid with only a very short piece of mono top shot or a super heavy piece of braid top shot, then go 100lb Braid minimum on the 6/0. The only reason being is although it’s not as abrasive resistant as like strength mono, it will serve you much better sitting in the water than 50 or 65 lb braid.

It’s very much preference and it’s very much up to your style of fishing.
      If I were trying to save money I’d do the light braid backing then heavy mono route.

Just me personally, I hate the sag/stretch of mono in heavy current and tend to go all braid so I tend to be on the heavy side.
      Id go with this swampbucks advice. He doesn't fish much and builds ugly rods but he knows what he's saying..

Comment

Everyone has their style - been at it since 1970 coupled with about 20 years in the USCG doing it from Virginia to Florida - Lotta big lemon sharks over there - big big and slow but heavy.

It worked for these guys here - my setups.

Here's Drifter

And Barnacle Bill and Drifter - this one was fun - hooked at 0200 and we released at sunrise - arse hooked - it happens - can get you spooled.

Jaspro Buckspert TEXAS TRACKER Drifter and a young Dale Moser
        We fished TBH when TBH was young - about nearly 20 years ago.

MISS YOU JASON PROSSER !!!!!!!!!

Drifter

Last edited by AtTheWall; 08-17-2021, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Chewing on a leader - smile before the release big boy!

CIRCLE HOOK - Before anyone used them - Billy Sandifer was happy - he and I embraced that years before anyone else here. I learned about them fishing offshore Florida and Hatteras during my USCG days.

J-Hooks can gut hook and kill the big breeder sharks - circles are hard to rig for big baits.

Comment

Get you some fresh dead shad.

Comment

Before Kayaks - 1970 the old salts of Galveston Island - had me at 8 mile road running baits on a Hobie.

Yeah - don't know nothing about TEXAS SALT AT ALL - NATHA!

A car battery on a float line - with clip - the hookup

Paddle up, clip to the float with the leader - tied off with piano wire - so it would break and release at pickup.

It wasn't too environmental back then but hey, you could buy speckled trout and redfish at the grocery store - all of them commercially netted - so the family had fresh fish without knowing how to catch them

Back then - the gear we had was very limited. I stick to some of my core lessons - today.

And those that fish with me - we are MAKING DREAMS!

Last edited by AtTheWall; 08-17-2021, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Blackfin tuna make excellent mako baits - that's what OZ ane POCO like to run.

And they also make excellent BLUE FIN TUNA BAIT rigged in a bridal live - fishing with

THE TAX MAN

What do I know.......

Last edited by AtTheWall; 08-17-2021, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Scored some fresh jackfish for Ray to run PINS - Leading up to his SHARKATHON WIN

What do I know?

Comment

Mako steaks - grill em like swordfish - or a solid steak - do not over cook

What do I know - nothing?

Comment

Mako does taste like swordfish - it really does but....what do i know...nothing?

Comment

Crab Trap - heard you can run sets to a quarter mile with one cast - IS THAT TRUE?

I see NUBBIN BUCK - is that TRUE TOO?
                        Last edited by AtTheWall; 08-17-2021, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                          Crab Trap - heard you can run sets to a quarter mile with one cast - IS THAT TRUE?

I see NUBBIN BUCK - is that TRUE TOO?

All these legends are true.. I once threw an 8n bait so far I got snagged in the shrimpers nets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This thread get you fired up Rob? LOL

I'm just glad my son wants to get into this. I was into it from 1988 to around 1996. But everything I did was just me learning to fish salt by myself off the North Jetty in Port A. I had zero clue what I was doing and every time I got spooled I saved money out of my $3.20/hr job to buy a bigger reel.

Paul (my son) doesn't want to spend a lot. He just wants to try and utilize what I'm giving him, hence this thread. And he does have a Kayak. He also has enough leader material to make 8-10 good shark leaders including 20/0 circle hooks.

And I told him (probably 5 times ) that he will need to double thumb the heck out of that 309 and 4 wide as soon as he hooks up. He will learn. I plan to try and go fish with him a couple times.

He just may become a beach bum if I don't keep him in line. Aerospace engineer college classes...Who needs that crap? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                              This thread get you fired up Rob? LOL

I'm just glad my son wants to get into this. I was into it from 1988 to around 1996. But everything I did was just me learning to fish salt by myself off the North Jetty in Port A. I had zero clue what I was doing and every time I got spooled I saved money out of my $3.20/hr job to buy a bigger reel.

Paul (my son) doesn't want to spend a lot. He just wants to try and utilize what I'm giving him, hence this thread. And he does have a Kayak. He also has enough leader material to make 8-10 good shark leaders including 20/0 circle hooks.

And I told him (probably 5 times ) that he will need to double thumb the heck out of that 309 and 4 wide as soon as he hooks up. He will learn. I plan to try and go fish with him a couple times.

He just may become a beach bum if I don't keep him in line. Aerospace engineer college classes...Who needs that crap? LOL

You have experienced the circus first hand - non of us - have any of the answers - OFFSHORE.

I can stake my entire life - on that comment.

I shoulda been dead out there a few times - sharks were not wanted.

Circling a shrimp trawler - a buck fifty above Columbia - floating on the trades - that bring that world to us - via the Yucatan Pass with it giving only Texas - her jewels - Flower Garden Banks her in Texas........all aluminum hull - her gear spread cross fashion - outboard for port/starboard ballast.......

We cruised up - hailed it on 16 & 22 vhf - loud speaker = natha

Dropped the AVON - a new toy for the maritime industry then - and doing it from a SINGLE POINT DAVIT - aboard USS MISSISSIPPI in a Pablo Escobar - Cocaine Cowboy intercept (on our minds)

Dropped the Avon and made that SWAT style attack - a NUCLEAR CRUISER WITH ALL HER CLOSE QUARTER WEAPONS COVERING US

Below - in water so clear - you stare down 200ft and watch quarters flip down - the full 15 to 20 thousand feed deep PELAGIC 3RD WORLD RAW WATER

Circling that shrimper - dozens upon dozens Tigers and Oceanic White Tip sharks - circling from 10 ft down hundreds of feet......in the shade. Mahi and flying fish - rode and circled as well - I'm sure - Yellowfin circled at their lovely 600ft down - mid day thermo cline...........

We had to jump aboard - below death - above (CARTEL - BOOBY TRAPS - 1989 NEXT TO COLUMBIA)

To this day - we still remember the SHARKS

Boat was clear - in the galley - 5 plates with forks - knives and partially eaten food with SHRIMP SCAMPI still on the stove in a fry skillet - days old -

NO SOULS

We left her - put an INTERNATIONAL NOTICE TO MARINERS up on the region and sailed on - chasing Cocaine Cowboys - till hell froze over.

That high end - anyone woulda done anything to save her - carried along on the trades to the eastern Caribbean coral reefs of Belize - allowing her circling company of pelagics and supporting biospheres to bail and find another host.

Yeah - I know zero about salt and things of that world..........I'M STILL LEARNING!

I got called out - felt it - and I don't lay down well - got too many years out there now - and none of us will ever know her.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                                You have experienced the circus first hand - non of us - have any of the answers - OFFSHORE.

I can stake my entire life - on that comment.

I shoulda been dead out there a few times - sharks were not wanted.

Circling a shrimp trawler - a buck fifty above Columbia - floating on the trades - that bring that world to us - via the Yucatan Pass with it giving only Texas - her jewels - Flower Garden Banks her in Texas........all aluminum hull - her gear spread cross fashion - outboard for port/starboard ballast.......

We cruised up - hailed it on 16 & 22 vhf - loud speaker = natha

Dropped the AVON - a new toy for the maritime industry then - and doing it from a SINGLE POINT DAVIT - aboard USS MISSISSIPPI in a Pablo Escobar - Cocaine Cowboy intercept (on our minds)

Dropped the Avon and made that SWAT style attack - a NUCLEAR CRUISER WITH ALL HER CLOSE QUARTER WEAPONS COVERING US

Below - in water so clear - you stare down 200ft and watch quarters flip down - the full 15 to 20 thousand feed deep PELAGIC 3RD WORLD RAW WATER

Circling that shrimper - dozens upon dozens Tigers and Oceanic White Tip sharks - circling from 10 ft down hundreds of feet......in the shade. Mahi and flying fish - rode and circled as well - I'm sure - Yellowfin circled at their lovely 600ft down - mid day thermo cline...........

We had to jump aboard - below death - above (CARTEL - BOOBY TRAPS - 1989 NEXT TO COLUMBIA)

To this day - we still remember the SHARKS

Boat was clear - in the galley - 5 plates with forks - knives and partially eaten food with SHRIMP SCAMPI still on the stove in a fry skillet - days old -

NO SOULS

We left her - put an INTERNATIONAL NOTICE TO MARINERS up on the region and sailed on - chasing Cocaine Cowboys - till hell froze over.

That high end - anyone woulda done anything to save her - carried along on the trades to the eastern Caribbean coral reefs of Belize - allowing her circling company of pelagics and supporting biospheres to bail and find another host.

Yeah - I know zero about salt and things of that world..........I'M STILL LEARNING!

I got called out - felt it - and I don't lay down well - got too many years out there now - and none of us will ever know her.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X