No announcement yet.

2021-2022 Duck Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decent opener. Out scouting Friday morning and spots were being claimed. Came back about 4pm and hunted a cove I'd never explored. Ended up with three grays and a woodie. Only two birds decoyed but then, as crowded as it was if they swung close they got the steel. All usual spots were claimed by 4pm Friday. I left my sleeping bag in the truck so it was a cold night until about 2 when the traffic died down and I could sneak back to the ramp and get it. Lost my front lights on way back. That was fun. Dang mergansers kept me up half the night. Had a deer or hog or trash panda splash out to the boat and nudge it. Thought they were gonna climb in for a second. Young'un had to work so I was solo. Pic of sunrise when my phone charges.

Comment

Sunrise on lake A. No that's not the first letter of the lake.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211113_064758_copy_1024x1365_copy_768x1024.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	24669121

Comment

Decoy spread, partial

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211113_064804_copy_756x1008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	24669122

Comment

We could have used a little more wind yesterday morning. My arm is tired from working the jerk string.

Comment

You gonna have to invest in some remote battery powered "water actions" JD, if you wanna save the arm. Or find ya an "alternate" hunter in case the young ones don't wanna go.

Glad ya got a few. Nothing like the sunrise.

Comment

Ended up with one for our group this morning in Eagle Lake. Very quiet in the area and dead still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Marshes south of Winnie were kinda slow last weekend but picked up tremendously this weekend once everyone ran them out of the rice north of I-10.

Comment

Heard a lot more shooting today than there was yesterday! Crappie bit great today! Man that never gets old!!

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                    Congrats WH!

Thanks David. Been a heck of a year for THC, having a blast!

Comment

Fun thirty minute shoot today with some bonus jewelry.

Comment

Originally posted by 97JeepGuy View Post

Very nice!

Comment

Took off Thursday afternoon for a weekend hunt with Canoe1. On my final stop before hitting the water, I noticed the fuel line in my new to me boat broken off at the motor. I guess someone must've been checking it out while I was picking up groceries and accidentally (I hope it wasn't with malicious intent) leaned on it and snapped the quick connect. At camp Andrew and I were able to mexi-rig an alternative and had it purring.
                          He had scouted a couple areas and we decided to go to my favorite spot. I like it cause that's where I had my first successful hunt and it's easy to find the way in so I wouldn't risk my outboard overmuch. My boat had all the weight, his ferried us in the final stretch. Headed out at 4am and were on the stand by 430.
                          Legal light came in and the actin was quick. If we were better shots, we have been done in 30 minutes. Some fly bys, a few working in and some checking us out but not committing. I had problems with my Stoeger, I forgot which way the safety was, so pretty much missed the quick early flights. Had a pair of Mottled decoy beautifully and we each took our limit on them. Then had a bunch of teal bombard us and he pulled a double while I kept from shooting cause they were too close to me. Toward the end of the hunt, we noticed a pair of high flyers. I did a quick quack to let them know we were there. They turned, saw the dekes and dive bombed us. From about 300 feet up, to 20yrd infront of us in seconds. He took a shot at the lead bird and missed. I folded the rear bird (prearranged shooting solution, he takes the lead or left bird, I take the next or right bird). His next shot folded his bird and then he swung on mine to back me up. I'm a crap shot, I admit it lol. Poor widgeon took 2 #3 shots to the head and then crashed into an old tree before hitting the water. It sounded so bad when it hit that I cringed.

Overall, Andrew had 6 birds and I ended with 4. His were Mottled, Greenwing, Gadwall and the Widgeon. I took, Gadwall, Mottled, pintail hen and the other Widgeon.

After the hunt, we went in for breakfast and then took my boat out to do some scouting. Birds just aren't here yet. Some spots held a few, but nothing like last year. I decided to tie it a trotline and we baited it with Zote soap since I couldn't catch any bait after trying for an hour. Ended up with 16 fish in about 3 hours time so it wasn't a bad run.

Saturday, let's not talk about Saturday. We only had 3 shots. It was dead out. Should've slept in instead

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Not a bad run guys. Love the timber hunts. Don’t like the gators.

Comment

Originally posted by 97JeepGuy View Post

What area of the state is this? This year or next I want to go after Mallards and Wood ducks. My boy wants a duck with a green head to mount in his room. (I'd prefer he shoot and mounts a Mallard over a shovler, lol).

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
                                What area of the state is this? This year or next I want to go after Mallards and Wood ducks. My boy wants a duck with a green head to mount in his room. (I'd prefer he shoot and mounts a Mallard over a shovler, lol).

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                                If you want to come up the Ferris sometime late in the season, I can get your boy on a mallard. We also have woodies but that is more luck than skill to have them show up in front of the blind.

Comment

Working...
                                X