Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

What animal has the best tasting venison?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Venison originally meant the meat of a game animal but now refers primarily to the meat of elk or deer (or antelope in South Africa)”

Most folks I know refer to all game meat as venison. The idea that it only refers to deer meat must be a big city thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bpa556 View Post
      “Venison originally meant the meat of a game animal but now refers primarily to the meat of elk or deer (or antelope in South Africa)”

Most folks I know refer to all game meat as venison. The idea that it only refers to deer meat must be a big city thing.

As defined: "the flesh of a deer, used as food"

There is nothing to argue.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
        The definition is that it is the meat of a deer. What's the issue?

Have you read these responses?

Is a Zebra a deer?

Comment

my Nolan ryan prime rib-eye identifies as venison ... they/them are delicious!

sorry, the way this thread is going , I just couldn't help myself ... wink wink!

Comment

Originally posted by bpa556 View Post

That's what I thought. If it was meat from an animal we killed it was venison. If you buy it from the store it's not venison. I guess all these politically correct folks need to be politically correct in classifying the different type of meat out there. Don't want to offend someone by calling their antelope steak a venison steak...oops

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

Have you read these responses?

Is a Zebra a deer?
              Now I know you're not serious. Just seriously humorous.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                Actually, the original definition of venison was any wild game (deer, squirrel, rabbit, etc., etc.). it's only in more recent times that venison has come to mean 'deer'.
                "Venison, which comes from the Latin venari, meaning "to hunt," usually refers to deer meat, but it can also mean meat from any large game animal, including elk, buffalo, moose, caribou, and antelope, as well as wild boar and hares"

VENISON, n. ven'izn, or ven'zn. L. venactio, a hunting, from venor, to hunt.
                The flesh of beasts of game, or of such wild animals as are taken in the chase.

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
                  That's what I thought. If it was meat from an animal we killed it was venison. If you buy it from the store it's not venison. I guess all these politically correct folks need to be politically correct in classifying the different type of meat out there. Don't want to offend someone by calling their antelope steak a venison steak...oops
                  Really? Coons, squirrels, rabbits, wild pigs. Hmmm.

Example: Rabbit is hasenpfeffer or coney. Not venison. Pig is pork. Buffalo is beef. I don't care how some Englishman wants to spin a looney definition of their own. This is truth.

It's not being politically correct. It's just being correct.
                  Last edited by tigerscowboy; 06-03-2021, 08:40 AM.

Comment

From Merriam-Webster;

ven·​i·​son | \ ˈve-nə-sən also -zən, British usually ˈven-zən \
                    plural venisons also venison
                    Definition of venison
                    : the edible flesh of a game animal and especially a deer

Comment

So many idiots. GPA? Was it even a 2?

Comment

so many idiots. Gpa? Was it even a 2?
                        lmao :d:d:d:d

Comment

Like I said, i guess i am just to Old, but i knew Venison as DEER,
                          sorry if that offends ..
                          naa I aint sorry, get over it, suger pants....

Comment

Now I know you're not serious. Just seriously humorous.

Seriously, I’m never serious.

Comment

On an unrelated note. I went fishing and caught some nice catfish. I will be frying catfish venison fillets this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                                On an unrelated note. I went fishing and caught some nice catfish. I will be frying catfish venison fillets this weekend.
                                LMAO good one

Comment

Working...
                                X