Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

What animal has the best tasting venison?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by acopperdawg View Post
    Gemsbok
    Eland
    Kudu
    I am sure they are tasty but not venison.

Comment

I forgot about zebra. Probably right under roan

Comment

I am not sure which would be the best, about the only way i eat any of it is ground or sausage, love the chicken fried tenderized back straps but i try to not eat much of that, I have had moose and caribou up in the Yukon terrirories, it was awesome, but of course everything up there in a wall tent for 14 days seemed to be great. I cannot believe folks are saying mule deer, after a couple of them I have given all the rest away, did not care for it at all, they mostly came form the sage country.

Comment

Desert bighorn sheep then pronghorn....followed by everything else.

Comment

Actually, the original definition of venison was any wild game (deer, squirrel, rabbit, etc., etc.). it's only in more recent times that venison has come to mean 'deer'.

Comment

Moose is the best "venison" hands down no contest.

Anyone who says Mule Deer is no good and they gave it away, well there is just something wrong with them and their preparation, care, and cooking skills! Always makes me laugh when I hear people say elk is the best, I've had more dry, tough, and rutty tasting elk than any other deer species even though its pretty good if cared for and cooked right.
              Last edited by diamond10x; 06-02-2021, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Trans Pecos Desert Muledeer off the protein fed Leoncita Ranch in the Davis Mountains. Been twice and definitely best tasting venison hands down.

Comment

This thread has taught me that lots of hunters don’t know what animals are made of venison.

Comment

Turducken…nuff said.

Comment

have heard axis is the best, I wouldn't know myself.
                      Would be hard to beat WT tenderloin or backstrap though, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        This thread has taught me that lots of hunters don’t know what animals are made of venison.
                        A LOT on here can’t follow instructions from OP. I remember the guy that asked for pics of big 8s. Don’t know how many posted pics of deer that were main frame 9s or bigger.

Comment

Elk, elk, elk. I understand you didn't want this answer.

Mule deer, Mule deer, Mule deer over the rest after ELK.
                          Last edited by tigerscowboy; 06-03-2021, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            The definition is that it is the meat of a deer. What's the issue?

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                              The definition is that it is the meat of a deer. What's the issue?
                              Is an antelope a deer? Asking for a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                                Is an antelope a deer? Asking for a friend.
                                No. Not a deer. More closely related to a goat than a deer.

Antelope or Pronghorn? They are different.

Comment

Working...
                                X