No announcement yet.

How small is too small?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad lives on 6 acres, but surrounded by over 100. Some nights he has upwards of 25 deer at his feeder area. He hand feeds corn and protein as well as the feeder. Bucks not huge, but we've killed a buck each almost every year. Ive kiiled three axis, one big enough to be on my wall. Hes killed at least one axis each of these last 4 years.

Comment

not how small is too small......get all you can get

Comment

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
        My dad lives on 6 acres, but surrounded by over 100. Some nights he has upwards of 25 deer at his feeder area. He hand feeds corn and protein as well as the feeder. Bucks not huge, but we've killed a buck each almost every year. Ive kiiled three axis, one big enough to be on my wall. Hes killed at least one axis each of these last 4 years.
        I think you call that place Heaven! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Rigging Cooks View Post
          Keep in mind that you will be living in your hunting area. The animals will know you are there. That being said go for it, nothing like hunting on your own land.
          Makes it even easier to hunt in my opinion. Feeder out back let’s you see the animals first hand and they didn’t get as spoked when they see you out and about. Kinda like feeding cows. It becomes normal business

Comment

Acreage bordering a city which prohibits hunting would not have to be big. You might only be able to hunt archery, and the smaller the tract, the greater the chances of your deer leaving your land after the shot. A small tract next to a national forest would appeal to me, but I live too far away.

Comment

I'm right there with you. Hoping to own at least 10 acres in the next 1-5 years. Even better if I can live on it.

My buddy owns 60 acres with a lake on it. Not sure how big the lake is acre-wise, but it's just past the threshold of being a "pond."

I'm out on his land all the time. He has a house and a cabin on it. We hunt deer & dove on it without any crowding/shooting issues, and we don't even use the entire plot.

That's why 10 acres would be my minimum. Of course, I'll take all I can buy

I can definitely see how having "big" neighbors would be a game-changer. If you had 10 acres and each side of your land had someone's house on it, that would hinder a lot of your hunting/shooting/tracking.
              Last edited by Mullet; 05-21-2021, 11:47 AM.

Comment

We have 50 acres in crossplains and no one has ever killed deer on it yet. Would be complete luck to shoot a nice buck on this place. I think you could kill something on 50 acres but actually hunting 50 acres and watching a deer progress and such is near impossible IMO. I’d be 100 acre min on buying something but it 100% depends on the piece of property. 50 acres could work surrounded by big ranches but the odds of finding a set up like that are slim.

Comment

I would definitely buy as much as I could afford. Neighbors are a huge factor and no matter how big your place is, that can impact things positively or negatively. Regardless, if you're able to buy land, be thankful. A lot of people can't afford it right now.

On a side note, I was on Lands of Texas and couldn't believe all the subdividing going on in Edwards County (and other counties for that matter). I wonder what hunting will be like 10, 20+ years down the road with more subdividing, more neighbors, more hunters,....something will have to give in a lot of areas of the state.

Comment

Originally posted by BayouCat View Post
                    I would definitely buy as much as I could afford. Neighbors are a huge factor and no matter how big your place is, that can impact things positively or negatively. Regardless, if you're able to buy land, be thankful. A lot of people can't afford it right now.

On a side note, I was on Lands of Texas and couldn't believe all the subdividing going on in Edwards County (and other counties for that matter). I wonder what hunting will be like 10, 20+ years down the road with more subdividing, more neighbors, more hunters,....something will have to give in a lot of areas of the state.
                    The subdividing of property is making me sick to my stomach. It is happening everywhere.

Comment

Growing big deer in the hill country is hard enough. I can’t imagine how much success you’ll have growing big deer on 30 acres in the hill country. You can always hope a mature buck wonders over from the bigger ranches around the subdivision. There is always a chance you’ll get high fenced too. Exotics won’t last very long either.

Comment

When you start considering a smaller place it is very important to look at neighbors. They can make or break a small property. When you find something you are interested in reach out and talk to neighbors. They will tell what’s going on. I have owned 3 properties 40-50 acres. First one I learned my lesson. Trailer on land next door and about 8 dogs.

Comment

Last edited by Ellen; 05-21-2021, 06:10 PM. Reason: .

Comment

[ATTACH]1050478[/ATTACH]
                            Last edited by Brute Killer; 05-21-2021, 06:33 PM. Reason: Pic was TOO BIG! ;)

Comment

Land has gone nuts around here in Montague county, 10K an acre or more, I'd get going, doubt it will get any cheaper.

Comment

Minimum of 11 acres just to make sure that stupid law of 11 acres minimum to be able to shoot yada yada yada!
                                I look at it like I have 50 acres to hunt and I usually only hunt like 1/4 acre at a time unless I hunt the pasture then it’s more like hunting 5 acres at a time.

Sure miss those days of being able to hunt a lease for a nominal cost that didn’t create greed and a feeling of despair if you didn’t kill something!

Comment

Working...
                                X