Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Let's talk Ag Exemptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As has been stated numerous times already...every county is or can have different requirements. Call the CAD first...period. Also, it will almost certainly need to have already been under some sort of existing Ag exemption in order for you to maintain said tax advantage. If not, you get the privilege of starting over new and won’t be eligible for tax benefits under year 5 in most cases.
    When we bought our 10 acres in Kaufman County 3 years ago it had been under a prior hay grazing Ag. I just “assumed” (as did the seller we purchased the property from) that we would be able to renew that existing Ag exemption. I had already worked out an agreement with the local farmer cutting and bailing the hay. When I submitted the paperwork to renew it, it was denied. The 10 acre tract we purchased had been part of a larger 50 acre tract when under the hay Ag and Kaufman CAD’s hay grazing requirements are 15 total acres minimum.
    Luckily I had time to make some phone calls and switch over to bees and maintain the Ag. But there are requirements for Bees as well. In Kaufman County you have to have a minimum of 6 acres but NO MORE than 20 acres for bee pollination.
    Again, we all know the Green Screen is great....but I’d call your CAD before trusting these yahoos on here 😂😂😂

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
      I would look at bee's
      Originally posted by Pokey View Post
      Will Take Five years to qualify and in the interim you have to maintain your Agriculture status. I have been told Bee's are an instant Agriculture Evualation.
      Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
      You must have ag exempt before you can get wildlife exemption. I do wood bees. I have 15 acres. Check with your local CAD office
      Originally posted by doghouse View Post
      Easiest way is to lease it to a bee keeper are next door neighbor that has livestock.
      See my post above. I have honey bees but the OP states he’s buying 22 acres. There are almost certainly both “minimum and maximum” acreage requirements for bee pollination Ag exemptions in most counties. My county (Kaufman) has a 6 acres minimum and a 20 acres maximum requirement.

Comment

Thx for all the info. I will check with my CAD office. Also I reached out to my realtor who is a salty old guy with some acreage nearby.

Btw, we are buying in Austin County. Bellville to be specific. Thx!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Timber.....

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
            See my post above. I have honey bees but the OP states he’s buying 22 acres. There are almost certainly both “minimum and maximum” acreage requirements for bee pollination Ag exemptions in most counties. My county (Kaufman) has a 6 acres minimum and a 20 acres maximum requirement.
            I think the 20 acre max is a state thing, for the life of me I can't understand why they put a max total acreage rather than X amount of hives per acres.....they are whining about a bee shortage and them limit the max size at 20 acres, that's government for you...…

Another little ag tax hit, when we pulled 2 acres out of ag for wedding venue we got back taxed 5 years on the 2 acres. In all their goodness the state changed it to only 3 years of back taxes now but to late for me......called the Ag guy at our CAD, great guy, and he said yes it's criminal they do that but it was a state deal not local, then he railed on about it also being criminal you had to be in Ag 5 yrs to get the exemption. He farms down the road from me and he does anything he can to help out with the Ag exemptions within his capabilities.

Of the 22 acres OP is buying if he does bees yes he will pay taxes on the 2 acres but if he builds a house they will pull one out of the Ag exemption anyway. I harvest pecans on ours but the amount of trees per acre for Ag is ridiculous so we just stick with the horse breeding.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
              So. ... my experience. Bell and Coryell County. I was deemed AG on property less than 20Acres. With a few goats. (Show goats) but... still a goat. Then Wildlife with a few additions I mentioned above. Got rid of the goats. Now enjoy property to hunt at a very discounted tax rate. I also, save at lowes, tractor supply, and my favorite feed stores.
              Your sales tax exemption ended when you got rid of the goats. Wildlife exemption does not qualify for sales tax exemption. What you are doing is illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                Your sales tax exemption ended when you got rid of the goats. Wildlife exemption does not qualify for sales tax exemption. What you are doing is illegal.
                No longer own the property. So I am not using the Exemption any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                  No longer own the property. So I am not using the Exemption any longer.
                  Good save!

Comment

Switch the ag over to wildlife exemption if possible.

Comment

I believe for Grayson Co. for bees they require 5 to 20 acres. We are in the process of getting ours in year 2.
                      Last edited by mcbZX225; 05-19-2021, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                        You'll need to call your county's appraisal district and ask them what their requirements are to qualify for ag use because it varies by county. For wildlife, the minimum acreage required is usually around 20 (varies by county) and it has to have been under ag for so many years before you can apply for wildlife. If you are not currently ag exempt then you'll need to apply to qualify for an agricultural tax exemption.

Wildlife exemption is actually really easy to maintain. There is a list of 5 or 7 things you can choose from every year and you only have to complete 3 of them. The management practices are things you would most likely be doing to your property anyway. Supplemental feeding, supplemental water, brush control, predator control, mowing and so on.
                        Minimum acreage will vary by county, but this is what I did with my 10 acres. Maintained my neighbor's (who I bought the property from) cattle on it for the first year I owned it and transitioned this year to Wildlife. If you end up deciding to go with a Wildlife exemption shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can provide any more help.

Comment

After contacting your Appraisal District office, holler at you local TPWD biologist or Technical Guidance Biologist. They can help identify management practices that will be applicable. They do this stuff a lot and it's free, expert guidance.

Comment

Some good info. I am on year 4 with bees.....

Comment

If it’s already in ag fill out the paperwork and go wildlife. Your gonna feed anyway and try to preserve habitat as well. Cows and goats will eat the place down to nothing. Unless your gonna raise bees then your gonna allow someone else on your property to tend their bees for your ag exemption. Whatever you do don’t lose the exemption!

Comment

You have several options. You can also look into piggy backing off a neighbor if they agree to meet minimum acreage requirements. I had 12 acres and had a cattle exemption by rotating my cows onto the neighbor and had another 5.72 acres in Wildlife.

Comment

Working...
                                X