Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Let's talk Ag Exemptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it currently ag exempt, and if so what is current ag exempt class?

Comment

I am sure someone would love to lease it and help with your fence. Wildlife exemption is eliminating the small hobby farmer.

Comment

You don't say where the property is located which can change things. I bought 15 acres in Fayette county several years ago. It did not have a current AG exemption. I currently have it leased for cows. It takes five years of doing something ag to get an ag exemption. Go see the appraisal district guys. They can give you the guidelines and some ideas on how to get from A-B. AFAIK you have to get the ag exemption before you can get a wildlife exemption. Check with the Texas AgLife folks in that county. Washington, Colorado, Austin and Fayette county Texas AgLife sponsored a series of classes for new landowners that were very reasonably priced and very informative. They covered everything from pond management to estate planning to weed and pest control. PM me if you need more info.

Comment

following

Comment

Yes. AG exempt first. Then wildlife.

Comment

Ah exempt is super easy. I bought my place a couple years ago and put two cows on it just to maintain at exempt. Now I have 10 and make some decent spending cash selling calves

Comment

Lots of wrong or misleading info in the replies. Here is some information that may help.

22.5 acres is not enough acreage to maintain livestock IF wildlife and habitat is a concern as the number of animals the county will want you to run will be excessive (yes, you can do it, but at the expense of habitat condition). This is why the wildlife valuation was created.

Wildlife Management is most likely the best option for your acreage. Bees are typically only used for very small acreage.

There is no minimum acreage requirement unless the property has been reduced in size from the pervious tax year.

If the property is currently under an ag valuation, wildlife will work as a qualifying use to maintain ag. If not, you will need to acquire ag first, which involves using the property for agricultural use for 5 out of 7 years.

The wildlife valuation does not prohibit you from doing anything with your property and the only things it requires you to do are the management practices that you choose (from a long list). It usually is no more work than you are already doing on the property (most people can qualify without adding anything additional to what they are already doing).

The management plan that you submit to the county tax office is a very simple 'check-the-boxes' form. Only takes a few minutes to fill out. No need to spend thousands of dollars having somebody check some boxes for you.

In addition to the management plan, most counties will require a subsequent annual update to document the activities you are doing. Easily accomplished with receipts and photographs.

The management plan is broken down into 7 general sections (supplemental food, supplemental water, supplemental shelter, habitat control, erosion control, predator control, and wildlife surveys), of which there are many possible management practices that you can choose from within each section. At a minimum, you would need to do at least 1 practice in 3 of those 7 categories (most people can hit at least 5 with no difficulty) to qualify.

It is a very simple and easy way to maintain an ag valuation.

Hope this helps.
                Last edited by Deerguy; 05-18-2021, 04:29 PM.

Comment

I know a guy in LA Grange area who helps folks with this...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Check with the appraisal district and see what it takes. Hopefully it's ag exempt now if it isn't your taxes are going to suck got the next 5 years.

Comment

Easies way is to lease it to a bee keeper are next door neighbor that has livestock.

Comment

The Texas Comptroller website and your county tax assessor website are probably the most reliable sources of information on agricultural exemptions.
                        Some Texas lands used for farming or wildlife management can be appraised based on their agricultural use, rather than market value.

I did a lot of research here and on the comptrollers website before I purchased my property.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

So. ... my experience. Bell and Coryell County. I was deemed AG on property less than 20Acres. With a few goats. (Show goats) but... still a goat. Then Wildlife with a few additions I mentioned above. Got rid of the goats. Now enjoy property to hunt at a very discounted tax rate. I also, save at lowes, tractor supply, and my favorite feed stores.

Comment

Every county varies. Grayson its 10 acres for ag so you need 11 if you build as they take out 1 for house. We have 30 acres and breed horses and just had to prove 3 mares of breeding age. Also showed ghem website. Ours was already ag exempt we were just transferring to us. Call ag man at county appraisal district.

Comment

You really need to reach out to your CAD and get their requirements. Probably need to establish AG exemption first then convert to wildlife. Counties can vary their requirements including minimum acreage. Timber may be your best option. I have our place under wildlife been doing it for 10+ yrs if you need help going that direction shoot me a PM.

Comment

What county? Timber is always the easiest if the county allows it

Comment

Working...
                                X