Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Best low fence ranches in South Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
    Lots of large acreage that is family owned and not leased
    Places like

Happy ranch
    Alamo
    La union
    Gaurra
    Barnhart
    A Parr
    Heurford

All family and a few friends or businessmen or maybe some out of state hunters and political leaders get to hunt them
    If you're referring to the Barnhart Ranch in DeWitt/Gonzales County it has parts that are high fence.

Comment

For all you guys running around on the Faith and Commanche with Dan Friedkin, Stedman and the like your getting to spend time in rare air. Fence or not those are special places owned by rare folks. If you ever stop bickering about fences post pics of what you see over there. They are the ranches of legends.

We are directly across the river from them on the poor side of the tracks and I often watch dreaming about what can be done in world class country with an unlimited budget

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
        the fence gives you confidence to let a 190” 5 year old walk 2 more years. That’s a deer that 99.99% of low fence hunters would shoot any day of the week.

Who cares about genetic potential to f promising bucks are killed at 4?

It almost always makes a difference. If it weren’t for high fence that locks in the SW portion of my lease from 6 neighboring properties, the quality of the deer on ThT side of the place would be marginal at best.

The way I read best is “results”.

That said, what’s better? The king that produces 4-5 190” plus deer a year off 500,000+ acres, or the galvan that produces a few 180” plus deer a year off 40,000 acres? [emoji2379]

Then why are most of the places being listed as "the best" half the size of a county.

It's because they have almost 100% control in their cores, and can feed them and let deer walk without much fear at all of losing them to neighbors.

Comment

These threads always seem to get into a pissing match. I have hunted on and next to some of these places mentioned. I for one am just thankful to have been able to do so.
          Some other ranches not mentioned that are also legendary is Bill Maltsbergers country as well as the Storey.

Comment

Originally posted by megger89 View Post
            If you're referring to the Barnhart Ranch in DeWitt/Gonzales County it has parts that are high fence.
            Probably Barnhart in Hebbronville, which is pretty much surrounded by East Ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
              was on the Walker for two years - it sucked -
              the entire 50,000 acres sucked?

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                in all honesty you probably where haha
                That’s the best thing I’ve seen in a long time😂😂. And I agree with you😂

Comment

Originally posted by B&C View Post
                  If you base this discussion on trophy deer per acre few compare to the Nunley Chittum pasture. Their total deer density is high but their trophy count is insane. Love/Hate the DD marketing all you want but their buck quality is second to none!
                  Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by megger89 View Post
                    These ranch’s are in Jim Hogg & Webb
                    They have land all over Texas

Comment

Chapparrosa, Chittum, La Paloma (now owned by Yeti brothers), Briscoe best genetics in state exist in this area and these properties are still legit low fence for the most part the Chittum has gotten split and fortunately it is still low fence for the most part and some of the last of the frontier and as soon as this generation is gone it will be gone as the next will sell it off or change the game....

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                        the entire 50,000 acres sucked?
                        He is the huntingfool and IMO doesn’t know his *** from a hole in the ground, way to much ignorance on topic and lack of self control
                        For my fire ring

Comment

Originally posted by MidlandTXHunter View Post
                          Agreed
                          Aren't you on it?

If so is the HF/LF section true? Always heard it is but never been so been curious to how true the "low fence" portion is. Huge deer regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                            There is more than one Chittim ranch - it was originally over 200,000 acres and been split up over the years - there is Holden's Chittim (which the Junco ranch brothers own) and there are other Chittim ranches - Dos Chimeneaus and Picosa among others - all top end country
                            Among the best... I have hunted the Dos for the last 5 years legit low fence and best genetics I have witnessed biggest a 224" harvested by one our guys 2 years back he let walk as a clean 185 the prior year not many can do that.. but can be awesome when mother nature helps but right now we are hurting for water....we don't advertise much of what we kill for obvious reasons but it is of the last frontier and one day all we will be able to do is remember it as it will all change over the next generation...

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                              Aren't you on it?

If so is the HF/LF section true? Always heard it is but never been so been curious to how true the "low fence" portion is. Huge deer regardless.
                              parts of the border are hf but I think there are 13 miles perimeter low fence.

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                                I was making a joke about your last comment in regards to poaching and Rob, there are alot of old stories about him
                                Ah. You are correct my friend. They called him Cabo Robo for a reason. You know your stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X