X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes sense Pineywoods

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
      Are the inflated home building costs affecting home insurance prices yet? If a house was destroyed in a fire for example, it could cost $100k more to replace the home versus a year ago. I'm wondering what kind of adjustments they are or will be making.

My understanding is your homeowners policy has a $ value. That’s what you’d get in a total loss. Costs more- you’re hosed.

I pay extra premium for coverage with actual replacement costs. A property casualty agent please chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The costs to build a house have always been very expensive. That is why houses were made by people who usually saved for a long time. In general, I think that building a home is a crucial step in everyone's life. When I made my first house, it was costly to buy all the materials to build a house. At first, I thought that all the problems in building a new home were because of the price. But then, when I was faced with the problem of choosing the design of the house, I realized that the most challenging thing was waiting for me in the choice of designing their home. I was lucky that I stumbled upon an exciting home plan on this site boutiquehomeplans.com. When I saw the projects of these houses, I immediately wanted the same place, so after seeing my project, I had no doubts and immediately found a suitable option for me. So I can say that when building a house project choice is one of the most important
        Last edited by canterlot; 10-19-2021, 04:17 AM.

Comment

In a few weeks I will be starting the journey of putting a home on my Harper property. Well , septic and talking to builders. Hopefully sign some papers and write some checks.
          We pushed it back a year because of rising costs. At this point, yes it will cost more. But time I cannot buy. The clock is ticking and I am getting older, so is the wife. So I will have less money... that is for sure. I can wait and maybe save a few bucks. But I cannot buy back the time I have spent...waiting. I am gonna buckle up, expect sticker shock and try not to pass out with what the prices for stick built are going to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
            In a few weeks I will be starting the journey of putting a home on my Harper property. Well , septic and talking to builders. Hopefully sign some papers and write some checks.
            We pushed it back a year because of rising costs. At this point, yes it will cost more. But time I cannot buy. The clock is ticking and I am getting older, so is the wife. So I will have less money... that is for sure. I can wait and maybe save a few bucks. But I cannot buy back the time I have spent...waiting. I am gonna buckle up, expect sticker shock and try not to pass out with what the prices for stick built are going to be.
            The price of building a house isn't as bad as people believe if they can GC it themselves. I am building my house for a little over $100/sqft right now and my wife has picked out some really nice things like the front door and quartz countertops. Also, our house design is a little more extravagant than I originally wanted but we both really like it so we went with it.

Comment

A GC adds some percentage to the building costs (I don’t know-somebody chime-in) , but the lumber, concrete, sheetrock, windows, exterior material, roofing and everything else have soared in price.

If you have the time to do it (with your job), knowledge and can find/ manage all the subcontractors to build then do it.

I’m curious what type of home design, construction (stick framing?) and finishes can be built anywhere for $100 pet sq ft? Are you using US citizen labor?

Comment

I’ll add labor costs have increased as well.

I’m interested in what your home design is that can be built for $100 per sq ft.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  A GC adds some percentage to the building costs (I don’t know-somebody chime-in) , but the lumber, concrete, sheetrock, windows, exterior material, roofing and everything else have soared in price.

If you have the time to do it (with your job), knowledge and can find/ manage all the subcontractors to build then do it.

I’m curious what type of home design, construction (stick framing?) and finishes can be built anywhere for $100 pet sq ft? Are you using US citizen labor?

Probably 10 to 15 percent. And that's the g c markup on the total price you also have to figure that Subs are marking up what their work is to. I would also venture to say that 90% of homes built have illegals involved. That's just what construction is. And the guy that's says otherwise just doesn't know that his subs are all or partly illegals.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

The only thing that will drive down prices is a downturn or higher interest rates. There’s such a demand right now and interest rates are all time lows.

Comment

I’m still intrigued by a $100/ sg ft home design with nice features like you mentioned, even if you GC the project and direct hire the subs and purchase the material and finishes yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                        I’m still intrigued by a $100/ sg ft home design with nice features like you mentioned, even if you GC the project and direct hire the subs and purchase the material and finishes yourself.

same here.

Comment

Originally posted by ATXRaider83 View Post
                          Probably 10 to 15 percent. And that's the g c markup on the total price you also have to figure that Subs are marking up what their work is to. I would also venture to say that 90% of homes built have illegals involved. That's just what construction is. And the guy that's says otherwise just doesn't know that his subs are all or partly illegals.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I think you’re missing a few percentage points here.

In my experience, it’s double ( if not triple) that amount.

Comment

Originally posted by stickemhard3 View Post
                            The price of building a house isn't as bad as people believe if they can GC it themselves. I am building my house for a little over $100/sqft right now and my wife has picked out some really nice things like the front door and quartz countertops. Also, our house design is a little more extravagant than I originally wanted but we both really like it so we went with it.
                            Please update this post when you finish

Comment

We are in the planning stage for a small (1800 sq ft) metal home and are being told around 140sq. Was also just told the price of steel may be going up another 30% in november.

Comment

We are breaking ground in the next week once the appraisal comes back.

We are at 170/ft for 3800 sq ft.

If you factor in concrete and an additional carport it's closer to 180/ft.

We aren't super high-end but it is a custom build on our land.

I feel like it's not that inflated from what I anticipated.

Time will tell once we start locking in prices but our bid is based off recent real numbers from suppliers.

Comment

Working...
                                X