Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like I'm going Ford for the first time....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bugleboy View Post
    Been a Chevy/GMC guy for years, and so has my local mechanic. He says they have been going down in quality for several years now, and Ford has them beat hands down today. Just had to put $700 in my 2018 GMC, 57,000 miles, due to air conditioner trouble. It's apparently a known defect that GM won't stand behind because it's not a "safety issue". Transmission shifts roughly at times. Yada yada yada... So I may be leaning a different way myself soon! Hope you have good luck with that new Ford!

Depending on what failed. GM is fixing the known AC issue free of charge up to 100K miles. The shift issue is a simple recalibration of the Trans Control Module.

Comment

No matter what the brand they all break down. Drive around town and look for the dealership without a service department. Buy that brand of vehicle. Wait... they all have service departments.

In all seriousness. Change the engine oil/filter before the dummy light tells you to. 5kmiles on oil changes is cheap insurance. Change the Trans filter every 50k miles. Differentials every 50k miles.

Biggest issue seen in most trans failures are 1 of the following. Not coming to a complete stop shifting from reverse to drive backing out of your parking spot. I cringe and literally one of my biggest pep peeves. Back up. Stop. Then shift let trans engage. Then drive. Next, over loading and hauling. If you have a half ton load it like a half ton. Not the 32 ft toy hauler and then drive like a Bat out of hell and your trans is going in and out of gear constantly. Last, when you park. Before shifting out of gear set the parking brake and then put the trans in park. May seem simple. But if you park and and the vehicle settles against the parking gear it keeps the weight of the vehicle on the trans at all times. Modern trans (last 40 yrs or more) are thin aluminum cases. Over time that constant twisting or pressure on the case cause it to warp some. This creates fluid passage leaks typically around the valve body.

Either way, your transmission guy lives you to abuse your transmission. We make great money off of rebuilding your unit.

Comment

Congrats on the New ride. Been Chevy here won’t buy a Ford.
        Now on other hand my work truck was a Toyota 2010 that when work gave me my new wheels for 2020 Ram that the Toy had over 370K and only thing done w a Thermostat, Alternator, and a Battery during my time of driving it. A loaded truck sitting just under GVW getting 22-23 mpg is making me think Toyota for my garage purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
          From the Googlernet;

Ford designed, engineered and assembled 10-speed modular hybrid transmission. The 35kW electric motor works in tandem with the engine for power and torque, utilizes regenerative braking energy capture, and supports 2.4kW or 7.2kW of available Pro Power Onboard while in generator mode.
          That sounds cool. I owned one Ford and thought the front end was gonna fall off. Now I’m sure they have come a long way since 1986!

Comment

I got my wife’s 2015 Toyota 4x4 with 60,000 miles on it. Gets 15 miles to the gallon in the city and at best 17 on highway. I would have kept my 6 banger with 210,000 miles on it but never was one to play musical trucks with a small driveway. Had I been out of a subdivision or on a decent sized lot I would’ve kept my Tundra and drove it another 100,000 miles. Other than normal stuff being replaced I never had a problem.

Comment

And btw, congrats Doc!

Comment

Working...
              X