tpwd speckled trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
    IMO they should completely shut coastal fishing down from state line to state line for at least a year, and 2 years would be even better.....
    Growing up here on the Texas coast it is sad to see what it has become over the years.... More and more boats, more and more "guides" and far less fish.. history has proved that Humans can and will destroy any resource if left unchecked..
    Tell me why we are shutting down Sabine again ? I rode the whole lake 5 days after the freeze and didn't see a dead fish.. it's possible I missed em but I looked.. it really doesn't matter though most of us have Louisiana license anyway..

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      Please show me the biologist in the above list of Commission members?? TPWD does have biologists, but they're useless as tits on a boar hog... They do good work and they work hard at collecting data/statistics on our resources only to be ignored by the Commission!! The commission is made up of business executives with all kinds of business experience in the oil patch, transportation industry, and even a lawyer or two, but not one biologist in the bunch except for maybe the last guy on the list and that's a stretch... look at his background and work experience...
      The TPWD Commission functions as advisory and oversight for Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. They aren't writing laws or making biological decisions. They don't run TPWD.

Mainly, them boys and girls have more politicos in their pockets than most folks have pennies, so when TPWD says they have a new law, and the TPWD commission says they support this law, all them legislators know that they vote against it at their own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
        I am surprised it isn't catch and release only. I expected them to do catch and release only for 4 months from JFK south. I think that was the original idea.

As far as one trip per 24 hour period that is much ado about nothing. Very few guides are running 2 trips a day regularly. It happens once in awhile and I run a very few doubles but I try really hard not to. Generally the only reason I'll run a double is if I have a really good customer in town and I am totally booked up, if I really like them I'll try to get 'em out on an evening trip.

I am good friends with over 50 fishing guides and out of all of us I bet we double around 5% of the time. Maybe in other areas they do it more, I don't know. I hear it all the time from non-guides but I don't hardly ever see guides in my area running doubles. And never triples. Not once have I ever seen a guide where I fish running 3 trips in a day.
        That question was sarcasm. You hear all the time how there won't be any fish left because guides are running 3-4 trips a day and I've always thought that was absurd. I'm no guide, but its easy to see the work and time that goes into just one trip. Who has the energy to do that 3-4 times a day.

Comment

Please show me the biologist in the above list of Commission members?? TPWD does have biologists, but they're useless as tits on a boar hog... They do good work and they work hard at collecting data/statistics on our resources only to be ignored by the Commission!! The commission is made up of business executives with all kinds of business experience in the oil patch, transportation industry, and even a lawyer or two, but not one biologist in the bunch except for maybe the last guy on the list and that's a stretch... look at his background and work experience...
          I agree but seriously it does not take a biologist to realize that our coastal fishery has been in a steady decline for the last 20 years.. Especially for a person who grew up fishing the coast for the last 45+ years..

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
            The TPWD Commission functions as advisory and oversight for Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. They aren't writing laws or making biological decisions. They don't run TPWD.

Mainly, them boys and girls have more politicos in their pockets than most folks have pennies, so when TPWD says they have a new law, and the TPWD commission says they support this law, all them legislators know that they vote against it at their own peril.

Horse hockey! Last year when "they" reduced the limit from 10 fish to 5 fish the biologists recommended that no change was necessary, yet the commission voted to reduce it anyway...
            Years ago when they shut down gator gar fishing/bowfishing and put a stupid 48" upper slot limit on them there was ABSOLUTELY NO science to back that up. I went to the meetings both here in the Houston area and in Austin... Many, many experienced biologists and fishermen were present, gave presentations that showed absolutely no need for the regulations, yet because of a few fishing guides that advertised, " Come to Texas and catch a dinosaur" wanted it shut down, the Commission shut it down...

Look how many of them brag about being life members of CCA... Yea, you might believe that crap, but you've drunk too much of their kool-aid.

Comment

Horse hockey! Last year when "they" reduced the limit from 10 fish to 5 fish the biologists recommended that no change was necessary, yet the commission voted to reduce it anyway...
              Years ago when they shut down gator gar fishing/bowfishing and put a stupid 48" upper slot limit on them there was ABSOLUTELY NO science to back that up. I went to the meetings both here in the Houston area and in Austin... Many, many experienced biologists and fishermen were present, gave presentations that showed absolutely no need for the regulations, yet because of a few fishing guides that advertised, " Come to Texas and catch a dinosaur" wanted it shut down, the Commission shut it down...

Look how many of them brag about being life members of CCA... Yea, you might believe that crap, but you've drunk too much of their kool-aid.
              Same BS over here in LA. Many people have walked away from CCA over here.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

IMO they should completely shut coastal fishing down from state line to state line for at least a year, and 2 years would be even better.....
                Growing up here on the Texas coast it is sad to see what it has become over the years.... More and more boats, more and more "guides" and far less fish.. history has proved that Humans can and will destroy any resource if left unchecked..
                How would we pay the wardens to write all those tickets?? Next step in this plan, shut down all hunting and fishing from the state line to state line for 2 years. Let's just go all in, and grow some bigguns.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                  How would we pay the wardens to write all those tickets?? Next step in this plan, shut down all hunting and fishing from the state line to state line for 2 years. Let's just go all in, and grow some bigguns.
                  So where exactly do you think wardens salaries come from?
                  AND there are plenty other species of fish to target in the gulf... The bay dwellers need a break....
                  Last I checked there is no shortage of deer.. Not even after a biblical freeze..
                  AND It has nothing to do with growing "some bigguns".. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                    everyone seems to think that female fish are now targeted...

I'm skeptical of this thinking even though it sounds logical to me, why would tpwd enact something that would target the females you would think biologists might know more than tbh fishologists... please splain yourself guys?

i mean males do grow larger than 15 inches so if you catch a 17 inch trout I figure its a 50-50 chance its a female

according to this avg male is 19!
                    https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild...g%20for%20prey.
                    And the average female is 25” according to that. I wish that was true. I would bet at least 80% or more of the trout I clean in the summer time are full of eggs, even the smaller 15-17” fish.

Comment

I agree but seriously it does not take a biologist to realize that our coastal fishery has been in a steady decline for the last 20 years.. Especially for a person who grew up fishing the coast for the last 45+ years..
                      I disagree. Ive fished it that long as well and generally have more good trips than bad now days...as far as numbers. We did catch a lot more big trout in the 80s but I cant remember catching 20 fish from one spot like I have the last couple years.

And I havent thrown live bait in prolly 5

agreed!!!!!

Comment

Who knew amateur marine biologists were such a bunch of whiners....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Salt water threads are the HF/LF and shoot or no shoot spike threads of yesteryear.

Bless y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

Who is whining? We're bitchin'!
                            Last edited by rtp; 03-25-2021, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

So you think a bunch of lawers, oil company executives and transportation executives know better what the salt needs than folks that make their livin' in it?
                              I guarantee you a few folks like Glenn and Leemo, Poco and such could do a dammm sight better job at managing our marine fisheries resource than those dang bureaucrats!

Comment

So where exactly do you think wardens salaries come from?
                                AND there are plenty other species of fish to target in the gulf... The bay dwellers need a break....
                                Last I checked there is no shortage of deer.. Not even after a biblical freeze..
                                AND It has nothing to do with growing "some bigguns".. LOL
                                Just noting how silly your idea is with light sarcasm. Are you sure about the gulf fisheries? Last I checked rec anglers are demolishing the red snapper population. Glad you do not have the ear of any of these highly qualified folks.

Comment

Working...
                                X