tpwd speckled trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trozy55 View Post
    I wonder what the guides who make a living down there have to say about this. Is anyone really going to pay to take a guide out for 3 specs. Yeah I know they can target other species of fish but even then what's the state of those species?
    Catch all you want, keep watch you need.......

Comment

I agree with Panhandle. While a temporary decrease does have some merit, my hesitation is it will never be raised again.

Comment

I'm just glad I live somewhere that I can drive an extra 2 minutes across bridge and keep 15 trout if I choose to.

Comment

Originally posted by Slabby View Post
          Geez. Sad to see this kind of support for this nonsense
          Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
          “Although it takes two years to accomplish those results”. That’s the quote you need to pay attention to. It will never be a five fish limit again down there. Let a few crybabies ruin it for everybody else.
          Originally posted by trozy55 View Post
          I wonder what the guides who make a living down there have to say about this. Is anyone really going to pay to take a guide out for 3 specs. Yeah I know they can target other species of fish but even then what's the state of those species?
          Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
          I agree with Panhandle. While a temporary decrease does have some merit, my hesitation is it will never be raised again.
          No dog in this hunt but IMO its good that the state is taking quick, decisive action early to prevent further harm.

Texas Population is bumping 30 Million.. if anglers stay constant as percentage of population limits will have to go down eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
            No dog in this hunt but IMO its good that the state is taking quick, decisive action early to prevent further harm.

Texas Population is bumping 30 Million.. if anglers stay constant as percentage of population limits will have to go down eventually.
            No doubt. More and more people heading to the saltwater. Ultimately I believe we’ll end up like Florida. Where we have a very narrow slot and 2 fish a day. The only difference is Florida has an abundance of other species to target. So the pressure can be spread, here, we have basically 2. It’s a limited resource, and with more people taking than ever, reduction is limits is bound to happen, and it already has and will continue to.

Comment

Watch out bass lakes here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                How do you know they are immigrants? How do you know they are poachers?
                Because my IQ is over 70.

Comment

Too much pressure on a fisheries resource will collapse it. If a three fish limit keeps more anglers away from the LLM for the next few years, then the special partial closure will work even faster in its goal to increase recruitment and therefore boost the numbers of sustainably harvestable speckled trout.

If you want to know what ****ty fisheries look like after too much pressure and slow to adapt fisheries managers that fail to protect the resource from falling into the brink - just look at the inshore fisheries of the Northwest and places like the Kenai river in Alaska. Read the book "Cod".

Sightcasting a fly or artificial lure to a 30"+ speckled trout in shin deep crystal clear LLM tastes WAAAAY better than any trout amandine recipe. Eat some drum or fried shrimp or a hamburger if 3 fish is too few for you. You're grandchildren will thank you for practicing a little prudence and demonstrating a modicum of restraint

Comment

I knew something like this would probably happen. It`s a good thing.

Comment

I just can’t seem to wrap my mind around the fact they made this slot to primarily target female fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GARY View Post
                        Not to be a whiner...but that's what we do on forums..if I was king for the day:

1) 3 fish - 13-17 inches with nothing over 18 kept. Target males this way, fill limits quicker as I feel too many fish killed in release to find a larger anchor fish
                        2) No warnings....start with fines inside 30 days.
                        Agree! Something is better than nothing but the slot proposed is going to kill a lot of prime age females, slowing the recovery. I saw the freeze carnage 1st hand and it was truly heartbreaking. The ol' red carp are going to take a beating! Why would they advertise they are going to issue warnings vs. tickets? You know how that's going to end up.....

Comment

Originally posted by GARY View Post
                          Not to be a whiner...but that's what we do on forums..if I was king for the day:

1) 3 fish - 13-17 inches with nothing over 18 kept. Target males this way, fill limits quicker as I feel too many fish killed in release to find a larger anchor fish
                          2) No warnings....start with fines inside 30 days.
                          I agree with you and I’ll keep spewing my ideology to make croaker a gamefish

Comment

Originally posted by nushagak View Post
                            Too much pressure on a fisheries resource will collapse it. If a three fish limit keeps more anglers away from the LLM for the next few years, then the special partial closure will work even faster in its goal to increase recruitment and therefore boost the numbers of sustainably harvestable speckled trout.

If you want to know what ****ty fisheries look like after too much pressure and slow to adapt fisheries managers that fail to protect the resource from falling into the brink - just look at the inshore fisheries of the Northwest and places like the Kenai river in Alaska. Read the book "Cod".

Sightcasting a fly or artificial lure to a 30"+ speckled trout in shin deep crystal clear LLM tastes WAAAAY better than any trout amandine recipe. Eat some drum or fried shrimp or a hamburger if 3 fish is too few for you. You're grandchildren will thank you for practicing a little prudence and demonstrating a modicum of restraint
                            Do you think there is a shortage of trout? Do you not think that any loss from a cold front will be made up for in no time (like it always has)? Trout numbers simply are not that fragile.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                              I just can’t seem to wrap my mind around the fact they made this slot to primarily target female fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't make sense of it, because it's dumazz, knee jerk, feel good legislation with no scientific backing. Anyone supporting this should start doing their deer hunting with a paint ball gun

Comment

As much as I love fishing the coast it is doubtful that I will drive 7 hours to keep three fish. That being said, for those against the new restriction I would like to hear some science/research on why it is a bad idea. It seems like the argument so far is basically “I want to keep more fish”. I’m no marine biologist but it seems pretty simple that less pressure on the resource will help that resource recover faster. It will suck for those who make their living as a guide but thems the risks of that profession
                                Last edited by jerp; 03-24-2021, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X