Fried Pies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yak blue View Post
    Love’em. I’d give a nickel to have someone post a recipe for how to make the dough for a homemade fried pie. Years back had one made by an elderly lady on a buttered up cast iron griddle with peach preserves as filler. Hard to beat a from scratch fried pie.
    My mama used to make the best fried pies you ever flopped a lip over. Can’t beat homeade !

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      I am fan of the peach pie myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. Zero calories.

Comment

Really good warmed up. With some vanilla ice cream

Comment

This pic doesn't do them justice but I make my own.
          I'll have to dig up the recipe for the crust.
          I buy frozen, pitted pie cherries at our farmer's market. They are the tart ones, Montmorency cherries , and make my own filling .
          Apricot and peach are also good. I use dried fruit to make those those fillings.
          No frosting on good fried pies, they don't need it.
          Attached Files

Comment

MindyLus is pretty good. Been a few years since I had one. Used to raid the Mrs Bairds Day Old bread shop here in town 32 years ago. I'd load up the freezer with $.10 pies. I can do fruit, only.

Only thing better is homemade. But I've had to resort to other means. No more sweets of any kind any more.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
              This pic doesn't do them justice but I make my own.
              I'll have to dig up the recipe for the crust.
              I buy frozen, pitted pie cherries at our farmer's market. They are the tart ones, Montmorency cherries , and make my own filling .
              Apricot and peach are also good. I use dried fruit to make those those fillings.
              No frosting on good fried pies, they don't need it.
              While I am sure those are 10x better than the store bought ones it's just not the same as stopping in a the grocery or convenient store and getting a quick 1200 calorie snack for 79 cents. The Ms Bairds peach ones were the best.

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
                Hubig's New Orleans
                The factory burned down 5 years ago. Originally opened in 1921, Hubig’s is finally re-opening in the next few months and they plan to produce 25,000 pies a day. Same amazing flavors: apple, lemon, peach, pineapple, chocolate and coconut prepared year round. Seasonal flavors will also return to the roster for limited runs, including blueberry, blackberry, cherry and sweet potato. Deep fried with a glazed coating.... such a NOLA tradition

Comment

When I was a youngster (50-55 years ago), Kri-Pax was it.

We would get off the school bus about 3 blocks from our house so we can stop at the local convenience store to buy them.

Comment

Used to get em in Mineola. Apricot was my favorite! The ham and cheese fried pie from Hutch’s in Weatherford is amazing also!!

Comment

Not a huge fried pie fan and never ever heard of Mindylou’s pies, They were mention in this post a few times so I went to their website that was posted by blownshelby.

Man what company that is grounded in the word of God. Their testimony was great. Just finished watching a 30 min video of their story, simply amazing. Will see if our local HEB has them, if not will have to order a box.

Comment

Fried Pies

Apple please! Used to put them under the windshield on the dash of the boat to warm them up for a bit.

A guy we went to church with drove a mrs bairds truck, and he would get flats of them to sell at the Lord’s Acre. Mom would buy all the apple ones that didn’t sell, and I’d have them for months.

Comment

I like to make cherry empanadas when the cherry’s are ready to pick.

Comment

Before I even read the post I thought of Mindy Lu's. Their chocolate and coconut cream are outstanding.

Comment

These are the best I have ever had.

Fruit Pies. Cream Pies. Breakfast Pies. Lunch and Dinner pies. Home made and delicious. Hot and Ready. The original fried pie located in Davis Oklahoma. Arbuckle mountain fried pies.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                                When I was a youngster my go to was Mrs Baird. ................

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                                me too.
                                Mrs Bairds are getting harder to find these days around here and when I spot them they are date overdue

Comment

Working...
                                X