Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Ever walk away from a career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I try and focus on the positives.
    I get frustrated too with some of the younger guys who have read the latest book and know all the buzz words and think they know how to make the company flourish. Their ideas seem costly in both time and money. But, I know that I must listen because there is a nugget in there that will actually move us forward. They will understand one day how we feel. We have learned through failure which is difficult to be taught in school.

I'm 54 and have been at the same company since '89 except for about 5 years when I left in search of greener pastures. The greener pastures turned brown and I realized the greener pastures were full of BS too. So, I returned after I realized things weren't really that bad.

i remember when I was in my early 20's and all the old guys refused to learn the computer. By the time I was 30, all the old guys were all gone. I learned from that and realized that I have to be willing to change, adapt and grow. it's really tough sometimes! But, we are the U.S.A and we are and will continue to be leaders in the world.

Take a deep breath. smile and encourage a team environment! Good luck to you!

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
      Hang in there, the grass is never greener on the other side. Be thankful for what you have and view the office hardships as your cross.
      Spoken like someone that has never taken a real leap....

I quit a job that paid 5 times what most would consider a great living last January. I had done a lot of preparation before I told them how it was going to be around there without me and that they would still be seeing me, but in the future it would be as their direct competition.

As a result, I’m way happier and more successful than ever in the last 14 months, and as a bonus, I regularly get to rake those same people over the proverbial coals.

Plan for it, and then do it.

Comment

Politics are all what you make of them. I worked 10 years in the private sector. And then 30 in the public sector. Politics don't rule out common sense
        And you will be surprised with a little tack and common logical view point how well it goes. You don't have to buck different directions. Your job is to mold them for the betterment of the business. That's what counts and makes you a value for the operation.

Comment

Originally posted by fbchunter View Post
          I have been considering this, but for different reasons. I have been in power plant operations for almost 14 years. I’m 35, and while this job has provided a great living, the shift work is getting harder on my body. now that my son is playing baseball, I’m seriously thinking of taking a big paycut, and finding something else. It’s hard to be there for him, and soon my daughter will want to do activities as well. It isn’t easy to find anything right now for a person who doesn’t have a college degree. People think I’m crazy for considering leaving a job making well over $100K a year, but working nights, weekends, and most holidays isn’t worth the money to me. I think it all depends on your situation, and I agree that the grass isn’t always greener. That’s the hard part of making a career change
          Plant Operators have a brutal schedule. Some guys love it. I could never do that. I work have power plants my entire career, but never shift work. My hats off to you!

Your family grows up only once. Don't miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
            Plant Operators have a brutal schedule. Some guys love it. I could never do that. I work have power plants my entire career, but never shift work. My hats off to you!

Your family grows up only once. Don't miss it.
            Thanks, I appreciate that. I don’t want to look back with regrets. I can always work crazy schedules to make money later in life.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
              Spoken like someone that has never taken a real leap....

I quit a job that paid 5 times what most would consider a great living last January. I had done a lot of preparation before I told them how it was going to be around there without me and that they would still be seeing me, but in the future it would be as their direct competition.

As a result, I’m way happier and more successful than ever in the last 14 months, and as a bonus, I regularly get to rake those same people over the proverbial coals.

Plan for it, and then do it.
              Good for you, glad it worked out. Not many make $500k/yr.

My career is based on self-employment, so it's up to me to move the needle. If that's not a leap, let me know.

In my primary position as a financial planner, I have seen too many people quit a job or retire too early because they were not happy with their current situation. Once they left or retired, they soon realized that made a mistake by leaving, and were unable to find anything close in pay. This results in them taking funds out of retirement and compromising their retirement. So, I always encourage someone on the fence to think twice. The OP said that is making good $, so that's not this issue.

Comment

I did walk away from here after 22yrs, but not for the same reasons as you. I just got a wild hair up my..... to go work on a prototype rocket. It was nothing more than an adventure to me. After 2 yrs, NASA shut it down and I came back here and settled back in. The times have changed over the years and it is rough on us old guys sometimes. But you just adjust to it and keep going. Been here 45yrs this coming June.

Comment

Life is too short to be miserable at work man!!

Comment

Good luck to you on whatever you choose - Tough situation, but you'll pull through.

Comment

Will the next job be as bad or worse?
                      There’s gonna be a-s h—-s where ever you go!
                      I’m in management and deal with a lot of c—p sometimes and sometimes smooth sailing.
                      Always remember your there for the money not a paycheck the money.
                      Do your job well don’t worry about politics and make the company money because if they don’t make any you surely won’t.
                      Good luck with which ever decision you make.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
                        Hang in there, the grass is never greener on the other side. Be thankful for what you have and view the office hardships as your cross.
                        Never? Not real sure I agree with that. What you've described sounds more like being complacent.

Comment

Don’t do it old man! You can make it to the finish line. They all have that BS. Some more, some less. Good luck

Comment

Done it several times in my life. Most recent was last December. Im 60 now and it gets dumber each time however, it was the best move I ever made. I now work at a place I absolutely love! Never knew it could be so good. I was ready to retire but now I can easily go till im 70. My favorite saying was "I was looking for a job when I found this one!"

Comment

It’s called going to work everyday not going to fun. It sucks but unless you are born rich you gota deal with the BS in the corporate world. I’d never just quit without having another job lined up. If your stressed at a job your going to be more stressed when you quite and have no income or health benefits.

Comment

Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X