No announcement yet.

How is Ercot to blame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Louisiana and non ERCOT regions of Texas had similar issues with outages from the storm so you can't ignore the weather and blame ERCOT for everything in this instance.

Comment

Originally posted by rtjh View Post
      Louisiana and non ERCOT regions of Texas had similar issues with outages from the storm so you can't ignore the weather and blame ERCOT for everything in this instance.
      I can’t speak for Louisiana, but I live in an area controlled by the SWPP and comparing ERCOT to our experience is like saying a fender bender is the same as the I35 death pile up. Yes the SWPP had rolling blackouts, that were not widespread and didn’t last more than about 30 mins, not 30 hours

Comment

As another factor, the human cost goes FAR beyond just fatalities. We know of the suffering of those who sat miserably in their freezing homes without water or heat, including elderly, disabled and infants. But think of those also whose homes were destroyed or damaged. Think of water gushing into your living room through the light fixtures and A/C vents, from burst pipes overhead, and your home flooded with 2 inches of freezing water IN ADDITION TO having no electricity or heat. Look at the fire in San Antonio, where an entire apartment building burned to the ground, while the fire trucks watched helplessly because the fire hydrants were frozen. Think of what the people who lived in that apartment building are going through now. Meanwhile, some energy companies are compassionately saying they will offer "flexible payment plans" to single working mothers with 3 kids who get $5,000 electric bills.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
          As another factor, the human cost goes FAR beyond just fatalities. We know of the suffering of those who sat miserably in their freezing homes without water or heat, including elderly, disabled and infants. But think of those also whose homes were destroyed or damaged. Think of water gushing into your living room through the light fixtures and A/C vents, from burst pipes overhead, and your home flooded with 2 inches of freezing water IN ADDITION TO having no electricity or heat. Look at the fire in San Antonio, where an entire apartment building burned to the ground, while the fire trucks watched helplessly because the fire hydrants were frozen. Think of what the people who lived in that apartment building are going through now. Meanwhile, some energy companies are compassionately saying they will offer "flexible payment plans" to single working mothers with 3 kids who get $5,000 electric bills.
          When it boils down to the nitty gritty, the question will invariably come down to how much are we about to pay for the generators to weatherize, so some form of future event isnt as bad. Not to stop it from happening, but to minimize.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
            Yes this right here.
            So I will say this that there is a little wrong information in #1 and #2. I work at a coal power plant that is in the regulated part of Texas. Ercot and "green energy" are not the reason for the coal plants being shut down. The government is the driving force behind this. They are putting restrictions on us that either the technology doesn't exist to do it or the cost of doing it is so astronomical that it doesn't make sense to invest that much money to do it. This is what my plant is facing. We were notified the week after the election that we'll be shutting down in 2027. Everything else is dead on. And wind farms can actually bid their megawatts in the market for a negative number a lot of times and still make money because of the government subsidies

Comment

Garbuster the government is intentionally forcing coal generation plants out of business because they want them replaced by wind and solar. So wind a solar are actually the reason. That is exactly the effort that have been being made for the past 15-20 years by ERCOT and PUC.

I think a state law needs to be passed that regulates wind and solar never being able to be more than 10% of Texas electric generation capability.

Originally posted by Garbuster View Post
              So I will say this that there is a little wrong information in #1 and #2. I work at a coal power plant that is in the regulated part of Texas. Ercot and "green energy" are not the reason for the coal plants being shut down. The government is the driving force behind this. They are putting restrictions on us that either the technology doesn't exist to do it or the cost of doing it is so astronomical that it doesn't make sense to invest that much money to do it. This is what my plant is facing. We were notified the week after the election that we'll be shutting down in 2027. Everything else is dead on. And wind farms can actually bid their megawatts in the market for a negative number a lot of times and still make money because of the government subsidies

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
                Garbuster the government is intentionally forcing coal generation plants out of business because they want them replaced by wind and solar. So wind a solar are actually the reason. That is exactly the effort that have been being made for the past 15-20 years by ERCOT and PUC.

I think a state law needs to be passed that regulates wind and solar never being able to be more than 10% of Texas electric generation capability.
                Bold part is bass ackwards and won't happen for great reason
                They simply need to set the renewables up correctly with the proper support mechanisms like they do in Wisconsin and all will be fine

Comment

Meanwhile there is a bug eyed politician in DC who can eat corn off the cob thru a picket fence saying her Green New Deal would have prevented this. You just can't fix stupid.

Comment

These problems are on every side, and everyone pointing a finger somewhere else, should have their other hand pointed at themselves.

Very few homes in Texas would make it thru a northern winter. We do not build homes for these temps. While these temps do happen in Texas, they rarely happen to the whole state all the way to the coast. Doesn't seem wise to increase cost 10-20% to handle these temps as expected, but if the power plants should, maybe we should too.

Standard power plants require water to produce stream. Then they have to cool it back down. Trying to have one system that will work cool the water back down in temperatures from -6 all the way to 130 isn't an easy task.

I think it is safe to say everyone has been warned of this now. Will they/you be better prepared next time it happens in 2023, or 2031, or may 2050????? If you are relying on "x" ton heat pump for warmth, most likely no.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                      Bold part is bass ackwards and won't happen for great reason
                      They simply need to set the renewables up correctly with the proper support mechanisms like they do in Wisconsin and all will be fine

Who cares what the order is?

Is this okay?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

The bottom line is with the influx of population and volatile weather in Texas you can bet these events will occur again. So if you can’t live a few days without modern amenities such a electricity, heat & now water, you need to budget to for supplies and equipment to produce your own. And hope that the worst case of a total grid failure never happens, because you can’t store enough fuel for months without power. At that point you better have enough ammo for battle and trade....

Comment

Is this okay?

No telling how many acres of land are covered by those just south of Sweetwater!

Comment

Is this okay?

Add another reason to why I hate chinese wind mills.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                              No telling how many acres of land are covered by those just south of Sweetwater!

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                                Add another reason to why I hate chinese wind mills.

Comment

Working...
                                X