Generator plugged into outlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bmac View Post
    Biggest issue would be that you check it when you start and then it happens as you are continually not monitoring it. With electricity it wouldn’t matter if you were as it’s almost instantaneous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The key is to ground out your end. So if someone energizes the circuit. The ARC will happen on their end since they should not have been doing it anyway. The worker is protected that way by careless people throwing switches.
    Here I am back in the day throwing a 200amp 277/480v switch in a Kevlar suit. Inhale and throw the switch. So if the switch blows, you do not inhale 2000degree flames into your lungs. I have even thrown switches with ropes and pulleys hiding behind walls when we didn't have the suit. Always count your tools to make sure you did not leave any inside panel or switchgear.
    I have a wee bit of experience on this topic
    IMG_3795 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
      The key is to ground out your end. So if someone energizes the circuit. The ARC will happen on their end since they should not have been doing it anyway. The worker is protected that way by careless people throwing switches.
      Here I am back in the day throwing a 200amp 277/480v switch in a Kevlar suit. Inhale and throw the switch. So if the switch blows, you do not inhale 2000degree flames into your lungs. I have even thrown switches with ropes and pulleys hiding behind walls when we didn't have the suit. Always count your tools to make sure you did not leave any inside panel or switchgear.
      I have a wee bit of experience on this topic
      IMG_3795 by Tony Pic, on Flickr
      Cool pic. What year was that? I worked as a heavy commercial journeyman for many years in DFW and we never had such protection. Was in the 80's though.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
        Cool pic. What year was that? I worked as a heavy commercial journeyman for many years in DFW and we never had such protection. Was in the 80's though.

That pic was taken in 2010. So much has changed.

Comment

I have always done the following:

Turn off Main
          Turn all breakers off
          Plug generator into dryer outlet with a 50’ 10/4 SO cord with 30amp plug
          Flip dryer plug breaker to on
          Bring on other systems as needed (generator has a load level indicator) the more you bring the shorter your fuel will last.

Reverse process for when power comes back on.

Comment

Hell No

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
              That pic was taken in 2010. So much has changed.
              Your picture reminded me of a story....We were retrofitting all the older target stores switchgear with compression adapters on the aluminum feeders and had to have Texas Electric power up the primary transformers after we were finished. I threw the switch on the main 400a service...No problems but when I was testing legs with my wiggy it blew up in my hand when i got to c phase. The linemen came in with testers and protective gear and found no problems. Wiggy had just had enough I guess....Blew the end off of it and burnt my hand but lucky I didn't lose my sight. Scared the crap out of everyone there.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                Your picture reminded me of a story....We were retrofitting all the older target stores switchgear with compression adapters on the aluminum feeders and had to have Texas Electric power up the primary transformers after we were finished. I threw the switch on the main 400a service...No problems but when I was testing legs with my wiggy it blew up in my hand when i got to c phase. The linemen came in with testers and protective gear and found no problems. Wiggy had just had enough I guess....Blew the end off of it and burnt my hand but lucky I didn't lose my sight. Scared the crap out of everyone there.

Dang! Yeah... that would have made me cringe also. Sheesh. I have seen wiggys blow when meatballs have tested 4160 with it. But never with 277/480.
                You got lucky. Glad you are here to tell the story. Put that wiggy in a glass case on the wall.
                We used to HyPot EVERY switch and wire we pulled. Before and after install and definitely before energizing. I miss those marathon shutdowns and those monster checks

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Slayer View Post
                  Can't I plug my generator into one of my outlets to get power circulating throughout the house? I know it will be minimal, should I pick a certain outlet, etc?
                  Man, I would recommend you just crawl into a sleeping bag. Much safer.

Comment

What size is your generator 110/220 and how many watts? And what are you trying to power?Most likely it would be better to run an extension cord and avoid backfeeding.

Comment

Originally posted by jdavidson View Post
                      because it can be checked

RIGHT NOW and be completely dead...then the technician begins working and some genius like yourself backfeeds the grid and real problems occur.

X2. I was trying to word it but you did it for me.

Comment

I would say if you're asking this question, its not something you should be doing yourself in a pinch.

Its easy to do safely but also equally as easy to mess up and hurt yourself or someone else. The risk of not knowing exactly what you're doing is likely not worth the comfort/convenience you will be getting from it. Nothing wrong with just using extension cords, its only for a few days.

With that being said at least you asked. Make note of the inconvenience of using extension cords and work with an electrician to install a transfer switch and explain it all when all this blows over.

Comment

Working...
                        X