Generator plugged into outlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by planomustang View Post
    Why aren't they not trained to test for a back feed, before connecting? If they are afraid for their life, over this, it seems pretty obvious.

The answer is, this is not a real problem.
    because it can be checked
    RIGHT NOW and be completely dead...then the technician begins working and some genius like yourself backfeeds the grid and real problems occur.

Comment

Originally posted by jdavidson View Post
      RIGHT NOW and be completely dead...then the technician begins working and some genius like yourself backfeeds the grid and real problems occur.
      Bull****. I have worked with the local Electrical COOP. I would never backfeed the grid, if they are working. Just like I would never work my grid, if the main meter is connected to my feed.

Common Sense, dude. Maybe you don't have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
        uneed to stop before u hurt someone or something
        i missed you

Comment

Note to self... never ask TBH electrical advice.

Turn your main off and back feed a 220 plug. Have your neighbor call you when the power comes back on. Unplug the generator and flip the main back on. It's not rocket surgery.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Hoggslayer; 02-15-2021, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post

Turn your main off and back feed a 220 plug. Have your neighbor call you when the power comes back on. Unplug the generator and flip the main back on. It's not rocket surgery.

It makes you wonder how some put batteries in a flashlight..

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post

I'm kinda there with you. You'll be fine if you listen to some of the advice given.

As long as you turn off your main you can do it all day long. Isolate your house from the grid.

Linemen should have an SOP of checking a line for voltage before they touch it. It's a simple tool and I'm sure every one of them have one in their belt. If not two. Not to mention that pair of gloves they are required wear that costs a few hundred bucks.
              Linemen aren't stupid and when they do stupid that's when they end up dead.
              They have engineered, trained and SOP'd the safety because of all the things they can't control.

We've used our generator multiple times. Came close today.

I've back wired portable generators to power up 480v lift stations dozens of times.
              Dangerous as hell in storms but until they decided to spend the money on plug ups (Appleton if memory serves me right), quick disconnects and transfer switches it's what we had to do.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jdavidson View Post
                Once a lineman test the circuit and it’s dead he will ground the circuit before he works on it. Everything is always assumed to be hot until it’s grounded! As long as you have the main disconnect open you will not have a back feed from your generator onto the power line. This is what everyone needs to understand.

I have worked several extended power outages over the years all over several states and after a few days of people being without power you will hear generators running in every neighborhood. It’s not unusual. We will even pull the meter on the houses with the generators so there is no way it can back feed when we are working there.
                Last edited by Killer; 02-15-2021, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hoggslayer View Post
                  note to self... Never ask tbh electrical advice.

Sent from my sm-a716u using tapatalk
                  :d:d:d

Comment

Backfeeding the power grid from homeowners IS an issue that can kill.
                    BUT...Electricians test EVERYTHING! A good one does anyway. That is what your hot stick and wiggy is for.
                    I was an electrician for 35 years. Doing mostly heavy and large projects. I have worked LIVE dozens of times with voltage that will make your hair stand up. But the rules have changed and we were no longer allowed to work live. Have to suit up now(kevlar safety suit) for throwing switches as small as 60amps. There are many safety interconnects that we had when working live. Lock out tag out was one. When certain grids, rails or lines were turned off/made dead. Switches were locked shut with a picture and name of the man with the ONLY key to unlock it. We had alarms that would scream if the power ever came back on from anywhere. We also would take heavy ground wires and directly ground the switch(each phase) or whatever we were working on. With the circuit closed on our end to ground. The hazard would be on the other side where the power would be sent into the wire if anyone energized that circuit.
                    Bad carpentry...crooked molding. Bad plumbing, leaks. Bad electrical work, dead people.
                    If you are not sure of what you are doing...don't do it. Electric is no joke and it will hurt all the way until you are dead.

Comment

Is killing the lineman still a possibility? Every time I see them working here, they have a bar grounding the hot on both sides of them.

Comment

Did it for three weeks after Harvey with no issues.

Is it best idea probably not but definitely works. Just make sure you main coming into house is off and remains off and everything is disconnected before switching back over

Comment

i have done this for years i have a male plug that energizes my lift from my breaker box it is 220 i have the same outlet on my welder when power goes out i plug power cord from my box into my welder after i flip main breaker works for everything except heat and ac

Comment

"Electricians always test things" just like all rifles and pistols are checked.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                              "Electricians always test things" just like all rifles and pistols are checked.

Biggest issue would be that you check it when you start and then it happens as you are continually not monitoring it. With electricity it wouldn’t matter if you were as it’s almost instantaneous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X