Backup generator cost ?'s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
    Don't think about it as a WHOLE house run everything generator, but as small as you can get by with. The smaller the generator the less the consumption, the longer it will run on a tank of fuel. Get a propane stove(s) or fireplace, and just use your HVAC to move the air, not heat it. Change every bulb to LED. Right now we can't get tanks refilled as all the gas companies are out of propane. Think how you can do it the MOST efficient way possible.
    This ^

We went with the 10,000/8000 generator, dedicated generator breaker & interlock switch system for these reasons.

1. Budget - We did not want to spend $5,000 to $10,000 on a "whole house" Generac / Kohler type unit.

2. Portability - I have a second Champion 4000/3500 generator, but if I need the big duel fuel 10,000 down in the pasture to work on a deer blind I can pick it up with my pallet forks and go. I also like being able to store my generator inside although I realize the permanently installed units have weatherproof covers.

3. Redundancy - If my Champion Duel Fuel 10,000/8,000 takes a dump I can plug in my smaller Champion generator and still run the most essential items. If both generators take a dump I can go to Menards or Home Depot and buy a new generator.

4. We have a reliable power grid. We have had one outage in 2.5 years that lasted about 1 to 1.5 hours last Labor Day weekend. A bird shorted out the line fuse at the transformer.

I don't anticipate using the generator much as a home back up. I want it to be reliable, but I did think it was a good investment to put the money into a more expensive solution.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arrowsmith; 02-16-2021, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Our Generac estimate came in at $11,000.00 for a 22k whole house generator. You can get one for less depending on what you want to run. I had a transfer switch installed and bought a generator that is 9,000 running watts and 11,500 surge watts; however, it would not run our furnace. I turned the fireplace on low and closed all room doors not being used. Kept remainder of home in low 60,s

Comment

9K Watts won't run the furnace? I'm guessing it's not a gas furnace?

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
          Lots of issues with crank bearings in the engines. I really didnt pay to much attention to the issues because they didn't really pertain to me at the time. just remember a bunch of people complaining on FB forums about them.
          A guy I know over there that is pretty savvy with motorsports and such recommends the Cummins/Onan generator systems.

To Generacs defense, the folks in Lake Charles were running them 14+ days. I believe they call for oil changes every 100hrs of run time.
          FIL 150kw generac bit the dust this evening, he called me over to take a look at it but was to dark and cold to check everything will go back tomorrow and take a better look. I’m going with the Cummins 30kw

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
            FIL 150kw generac bit the dust this evening, he called me over to take a look at it but was to dark and cold to check everything will go back tomorrow and take a better look. I’m going with the Cummins 30kw

150KW! He trying to power a whole neighborhood?

Comment

Where would one go to talk to someone about this? Do they have salesman or sales offices somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                150KW! He trying to power a whole neighborhood?
                11,000sqft home and 15,000sqft barn with heat and a/c a with 10hp well

Guy has a compound. lol
                Last edited by RMW; 02-16-2021, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                  You can put together a functional system for less than 2K.

10,000 - 12,000 watt Duel Fuel or straight gas generator $1000 to $1200

Exterior generator plug $75.00

Panel interlock switch $100.00

Surge Protector (highly recommend) $75.00

Electrician to tie plug into panel and install surge protector and interlock switch $300 to $500. You can do this yourself but I would let an electrician do it.

You can run everything you need to run off this set up and not spend 10 grand. Plus it is fairly simple install that does not take a lot of retrofitting.

Look Here:

Watch this short video. This will help explain.

This is the system we have. Our Generator is a Champion Duel Fuel 10,000/8000 watt (10,000 start up/8000running watts). The interlock switch device is specific to your panel. For example Square D, GE, Eaton, etc. and per model number of your specific panel. You turn all your breakers off and then power up either what you need or what your generator will run.

Interlock switch kits:

Also I highly recommend that you install a surge protector that is designed for generator back up use. It will protect your electronics and motherboard in your furnace, AC, etc. I have heard of people emergency wiring their furnace for generator hook up and it burns out the controls. Most all appliances now have electronics (motherboards that dirty power will fry).

https://zerosurge.com/generator-ups/
                  Think I'm going with this setup.

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
                    Lots of issues with crank bearings in the engines. I really didnt pay to much attention to the issues because they didn't really pertain to me at the time. just remember a bunch of people complaining on FB forums about them.

A guy I know over there that is pretty savvy with motorsports and such recommends the Cummins/Onan generator systems.

To Generacs defense, the folks in Lake Charles were running them 14+ days. I believe they call for oil changes every 100hrs of run time.
                    My folks have a Cummins generator, and are living large right now. I'm thinking about getting one now.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rcole1310 View Post
                      I wonder what kind of whole home standby would work for long term use? Say 36 hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      My power was out and ran my 24kw generac for 40 hours straight. I just changed the oil. We tried to keep lights turned out in the rooms we weren't using and didn't run the dishwasher or clothes dryer and other that we were pretty normal. We had computers, wifi, Direct TV, kept the heat on 68 etc.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                        11,000sqft home and 15,000sqft barn with heat and a/c a with 10hp well

Guy has a compound. lol
                        You married up!

Comment

I had a 32KW Generac installed during my home build in 2019. It cost about 18K all in. It has been an absolute luxury during our 41 hrs without power.

Comment

Anyone know average price differences for 500 vs 1000gal buried propane tanks? I was going to do a 500 but now im thinking about upgrading to the 1000 before i get it installed.

Comment

Running the heater blower fan (nat gas heat), a few lights, TV for the kids, nat gas water heater ignition and light kitchen appliances on a 3500 watt Honda generator now. I think I’d be fine with this honestly. Would be nice not to have to fill the tank every 5 hours.

What am I missing? I am on a budget but need a bit more than I have now. Could this unit run a window AC? Be nice not to have to wire through the panel every time too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bdunn View Post
                                Running the heater blower fan (nat gas heat), a few lights, TV for the kids, nat gas water heater ignition and light kitchen appliances on a 3500 watt Honda generator now. I think I’d be fine with this honestly. Would be nice not to have to fill the tank every 5 hours.

What am I missing? I am on a budget but need a bit more than I have now. Could this unit run a window AC? Be nice not to have to wire through the panel every time too.

Are you running an interlock switch for your generator? I’m trying to figure out the most economical, but effective route to take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X