Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
    I have a whole house Generac guardian 22KW
    With 1000 gallon propane tank for our retirement home in Brown Co.

During the first two snows we lost community power for about 4 days total
    We never knew when the power was lost because it came on automatically
    And when it came back on.

Great peace of mind this time while preparing for a 10 day weather system

Do you have any idea how how many gallons of LP per day that the generator will use? I am looking for an average, I understand that it will fluctuate with demand. Thanks TK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
      I have a neighbor with a high dollar whole home Generac system that called me last night freaking out because the generator would start up and cut off after about 10 seconds. They thought the error light was a Low Oil condition and didn’t have any extra oil on hand. I suggested that I highly doubted that a low oil condition would shut it off before even getting warm. Come to find out the error code meant “overload”. They had to shut down some non essential breakers and were back up and running.
      Interesting....since you would think a whole home backup generator would be rated for their “whole home”. 🤔

It will most likely run everything, just not able to start everything at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
        It will most likely run everything, just not able to start everything at the same time.
        That’s kinda what I’m thinking...but for a $12k (they claim) system you would think the Generac would handle the start up-switch over the way it was intended. Idk

Comment

I have been researching this as we are going to build soon. We are figuring about $10k for the system we think will be enough.

Comment

Mine should be getting installed in 2 weeks for $8675 24KW Generac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagged

Comment

We have 3300sf, 2 AC systems etc. we got a 22kw GE propane unit with auto transfer and load prioritization so we never select what needs to be turned off to prevent overload, if it sees excess load it knows which circuits to kill in order.

Excessive run on gas line because I didn’t want to look at the propane tank in the yard.

All in with install was $12K

Comment

I’ve been thinking about getting one through center point.

Comment

I’ve been told some crazy stories about how fast these whole home generators can eat through propane. What is the consumption rate of the larger generator?

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                      I’ve been told some crazy stories about how fast these whole home generators can eat through propane. What is the consumption rate of the larger generator?
                      Don’t quote me to a T but my 25kw on a 5400 sq ft house with 4 ac units and water well, 2 refrigerators and 2 deep freezers will run at least a week on the 500 gallon propane tank in “mild temps”- between 30-50 degrees for lows and highs. Did this last year. Not sure on extreme temps but dropping ac units to conserve would be wise. I suspect I can go 4-5 days in these temps with only 2 ac (heat) units on.

Comment

go look at Generac web site; it will school you on what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by EmergencyDoc View Post
                          Don’t quote me to a T but my 25kw on a 5400 sq ft house with 4 ac units and water well, 2 refrigerators and 2 deep freezers will run at least a week on the 500 gallon propane tank in “mild temps”- between 30-50 degrees for lows and highs. Did this last year. Not sure on extreme temps but dropping ac units to conserve would be wise. I suspect I can go 4-5 days in these temps with only 2 ac (heat) units on.

Ouch you’re talking $1000+ a week in propane.

Comment

Yes but cheaper than dealing with busted water lines or spoiled food in the summer. We have had the system for 30 months and have had the tank refilled twice. We lose electricity randomly on avg once a month, usually less than 24 hours.

Comment

Been researching
                              Generac model #7043 consumes liquid propane at a 1/2 load at 92 ft^3/hr (2.53 gal/hr) and (9.57 L/hr). For a full load, this model uses 142 ft^3/hr (3.90 gal/hr) and (14.77 L/hr). For Generac 16kW, this unit consumes liquid propane at a 1/2 load at 62 ft^3/hr (1.70 gal/hr) and (6.45 L/hr). For a full load, this model uses 109 ft^3/hr (2.99 gal/hr) and (11.32 L/hr).

Comment

I have a 22kw Generac Everything in the house is gas. Installed was 7500 2 years ago. It ran for 5 days after the last hurricane and cost me 100 bucks in nat gas. No fooling with plugging in or refueling . I don't have to worry about the wife and kids when I get called to work after a storm etc. Unless the gas company comes by and valves me out then we won't notice a rolling blackout..

Comment

Working...
                                X