No announcement yet.

Idea to help outside faucets and water wells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don’t drip your outside faucet. You will have a 100lbs block of ice hanging off it or your wall. Wrap everything exposed with insulation or plastic and tape it on with duck tape. I have never had an outside faucet freeze doing this and I live in the north country along the Red!

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
      Don’t drip your outside faucet. You will have a 100lbs block of ice hanging off it or your wall. Wrap everything exposed with insulation or plastic and tape it on with duck tape. I have never had an outside faucet freeze doing this and I live in the north country along the Red!
      Doubt you have had this sort of cold in your lifetime. But I agree with the block of ice

Comment

I have the hose bibs around the house wrapped, the well pipes have a 100 watt light bulb burning covered with a moving blanket not touching the bulb, the water lines going to the barn and horse barn are turned off and I opened the hose bibs and blew the water out with compressed air.

Comment

I was always under the assumption that the newer hose bibs were frost proof? The pipe is not exposed. I haven’t wrapped any of mine, just disconnected the hoses. I’m in DFW... assume it’s too late to do anything about it now?

Comment

Wrapping our pipes didn’t work and neither did the covers so I came up with this. Galvanized buckets with lightbulbs inside. Attached with a hook installed in the mortar.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
              Wrapping our pipes didn’t work and neither did the covers so I came up with this. Galvanized buckets with lightbulbs inside. Attached with a hook installed in the mortar.

Redneck ingenuity on full display!!

Comment

How about hot water lines? I’m assuming I should drip a hot water faucet to keep the line going to and out of the water heater flowing?

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                  I'm moving to Florida
                  I left just in time!

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                    We had no water when we got up this am. Brand new custom built home four months old. I had to go to the main in our flower bed and open the lid and dig it out until I could see the pvc. I then put a drop line in the hole and within an hour the water started to flow. I left the light on and put the lid on, covered the lid with a moving blanket and then put a storage tote on top of it to keep the snow pff of it. I hope this continues to work!

Comment

So living in WI, we didn't always drain water from the lines running to outside spigots. Had copper pipes. We had weeks of sub 10 degrees, and never had a pipe burst.

Doing nothing they will likely be just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Full Throttle View Post
                        I was always under the assumption that the newer hose bibs were frost proof? The pipe is not exposed. I haven’t wrapped any of mine, just disconnected the hoses. I’m in DFW... assume it’s too late to do anything about it now?
                        Don’t know about your area but in Houston most of the plumbers don’t know what a frost proof hose bibb looks like. When i built my house i bought the frost proof hose bibbs and provided them to the plumber.

Comment

My exposed piping gets a Golden Rod heater like is used in a gun safe under pipe insulation held in place with cable ties. Install in November, plug in and remove in March.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                            Thank you sir. Been using that setup for 10 years now. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post

Boom!

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                                Get the rosebud out and thaw them?

I’ve got my torch with a medium welding tip propped up a few inches off my exterior spigot and running around the clock. It’s cost me two 130cf tanks of acetylene and a 245 of oxygen so far but no frozen spigot.

And people at we suburbanites don’t know how to survive.

Jk!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X