No announcement yet.

Idea to help outside faucets and water wells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I double wrapped with foam tubing and duct tape. Then on the north wall faucet I had a styrofoam block from the drum of our washing machine when we bought it, I notched it and covered the faucet with that. Then wrapped the whole thing in a heavy duty moving blanket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

FWIW dripping is the protection recommended by all Central Texas water utilities.

Comment

So the overwhelming consensus is to drip where you can (faucets) and wrap where you can't (pipes). I've been torn on that. Right now I've got my faucets covered with those faucet cover dealy's from Home Depot. What I'm hearing is I should reconnect my hoses and turn on the water? Problem is I am pretty sure my hoses are frozen solid. Dripping straight from the faucet is ok?

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
          So the overwhelming consensus is to drip where you can (faucets) and wrap where you can't (pipes). I've been torn on that. Right now I've got my faucets covered with those faucet cover dealy's from Home Depot. What I'm hearing is I should reconnect my hoses and turn on the water? Problem is I am pretty sure my hoses are frozen solid. Dripping straight from the faucet is ok?

Yes drip straight from the faucet. You always want to disconnect the hoses because the slow flow of a drip and the long exposure in a hose means the hose will freeze up and stop the water moving.

Comment

I had my exterior faucets dripping and now they are frozen. What now?

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post

Curious how slow was that drip?

Comment

Get the rosebud out and thaw them?

Comment

Still don't understand why people think dripping outside faucets in prolonged 20 degree weather is good. Those things will freeze.
                  Inside faucets...sure. Outside? I'm not seeing the benefit at all. Way too many of first hand examples in DFW from co-workers, friends, family, etc. where the spigots froze.

Poly insulation/batt insulation (can use old ski gloves)..tuck inside a foam cover and wrap that too with blanket if you want. Use hand warmers are rotate as necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by DJM View Post
                    I tape a couple hand warmers to the faucet then cover with a styrofoam box.It doesnt have to keep them warm.Just have to keep them from freezing.

DJ
                    This is my "go to" also.

Water wells: I put a trash can over it after it's wrapped and then a shop light with incandescent bulb inside off of a long extension cord.

Comment

The pipe insulation was long gone, so I improvised. Will heat the pool a bit and keep it running.

Comment

Heat tape works great.

Comment

Thaw them with heat and drip a little quicker. Good to also wrap them if you haven’t.
                          The temp, exposure, and the rate of drip are related— the colder it is and the less protected they are the quicker the water has to move to keep from freezing.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post

This too

Comment

I'm moving to Florida

Comment

Got any old Christmas lights in the attic? 2 incandescent c9 or 1/2 a strand of mini lights will thaw it out. My front faucet was frozen yesterday so I took a strand of mini lights and wrapped around the spigot and shoved the rest in my faucet cover and it was thawed out by this morning with 11° temps

Comment

Working...
                                X