No announcement yet.

Hard freeze and pools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipes froze up earlier today. Never got above 18 degrees. Oh well opened every valve and vent I could find. This was running 24/7 at the time. Above ground pool, so it's not a rich man's problem. Couple hundred bucks and we're back rollin in the trailerhood..LOL

Comment

All good so far over here. Pool, spa and fountain out front looking strong ..............but the worse weather has not hit us yet. Hate to hear some folks are having issues, hopefully nothing to serious.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
        We’ve got a separate booster pump for the cleaner that isn’t part of the freeze protection cycle. Do I need to try and override the freeze protection cycle to keep the booster pump on?
        You definitely want to keep all pumps running if possible. Should be able to avoid freezing pipes and the pump if you keep the water moving.

Running the pool heater along with all pumps for a few days. It’s gonna be survival of the fittest for the plants though.

Comment

Well my dad had forgotten to turn on the pumps before the freeze showed up. And we had a unpleasant surprise for us. All the pipes and the system was frozen solid. Tried to open it up, we just couldn’t get it to open. Even after using a torch for a while. It still was solid iced up.
          So we basically will just leave it alone, and hope for the best.

Comment

Just broke ice up from around the skimmers to keep water flowing. Gees!

Comment

Those with pool heaters, do you have yours on? i saw some stuff online that said not to as it could damage heater. ive had mine on all day. Not sure if its helping or not

Comment

I was running my heater at 60 degrees. We lost power about an hour ago though, so hopefully that’s up and running soon. We are on the same grid as a hospital, so we typically are one of the first with power restored. In 6 years we have only lost power a handful of times, the longest I can remember was about 2.5 hours, hopefully that’s the case this time as well.

Comment

Power has been off 2 hours in Tomball. I just did what I could to drain the filter and pipes. Some of its already frozen. Hose bibs are wrapped but frozen too.

Comment

Pool is frozen over about 75%. Pump still running and I can see water is not frozen at two of the four water inlets. Not really sure what to do at the point.

Comment

We’ve been lucky so far. There’s a little buildup about 2” above the waterline, but that’s it so far. We’ve had a few friends reach out that they’ve lost theirs to the temps and rolling blackouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Mine has about a 3/8” sheet of ice across the top of the pool but not the spa. Everything is still cycling though.

Comment

Just cracked most of the ice to try and keep water moving. Skimmers not taking in any water, assuming the pipes are frozen. Drain was still keeping water in pump, but we now have any power outage.

Comment

Just shut the pump off!!! No water coming into basket, assuming lines are frozen. Guess it’s hope for the best now....anyone have a good Fort Worth pool plumbing guy?? What’s worse case scenario in pricing if I get cracked pipes???

Comment

Ours is off, frozen, equipment frozen. We screwed

Comment

called my pool guy before all this started....he just said keep main pump running on high.

Pump is doing fine but the water feature pump/basket is frozen solid along with the chlorine dispenser

Comment

Working...
                                X