No announcement yet.

Hard freeze and pools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

34 deg and my main and water feature pumps kick on. Valves auto open to spa and pool mode at the same time so that all pipes have water flowing. My equipment is on the south side of the house so i just tarped it.

If we loose power then ill open the vents and drains on the system

Comment

Hard freeze and pools

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
      Am I the only one that does this: I turn off the all pumps and release the pressure on the big filter. Without pressure in the pipes, the water can't crack the pipes.
      Think of this guys, if you are running 24/7 and your electricity goes out, your pipes are fully pressurized and will burst. My way eliminates that possibility. Try it.

How does water in a pipe corner post freeze and bust the pipe without a cap. No pressure there......stationary water in a pipe WILL freeze. I’ve seen steel wash tubs bust and they are wide open...

The only way to stop water from freezing is to increase its internal energy (temp or velocity) or add something that changes the colligative properties (salt/antifreeze/etc). You can’t violate the Laws of Thermodynamics....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by 175gr7.62; 02-13-2021, 07:26 PM.

Comment

We always throw in several sticks of floating firewood

Comment

Heater for pool and spa rocking at full blast for the last week. Pool equipment and fountain equipment wrapped in shipping blankets, then old carpet I was taking to the deer lease, then plastic in case the rain is more than expected! Doubt I will put the water features on for the pool. But the front yard fountain will run all night and weekend..........sure i will chip some ice come Monday from that fountain.

Comment

explain what the floating wood does?

Comment

We’ve got a separate booster pump for the cleaner that isn’t part of the freeze protection cycle. Do I need to try and override the freeze protection cycle to keep the booster pump on?

Comment

Hot tub was wanting to freeze up. Added water to pool so now the pool bleeds into it. Also put a float in just in case it does freeze over.

Comment

My pump, while still running, is not pushing any water as seen by the pool jets not blowing water out. So Im guessing my lines have frozen somewhere now

Comment

Man I’m glad I don’t have a pool!
                    May cost me a divorce before it’s all said and done but had to draw a line

Good luck keeping them thawed guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Had on of my ozone filters crack. Luckily I caught it and bypassed it to keep water running. Covered all the equipment with tarp. Hopefully that will keep it dry at least

Comment

Our power went off for ~13 hours. When it came back on the waterfall pump ran normally but the main pump was froze up. I opened the pump strainer, poured 3-4 gallons of hot water in it, poured 4-5 gallons of hot water on the exposed pipes to it & it started flowing again. If your power goes out try to have some sort of back-up plan! I didn't & still don't besides maybe a LPG heater near the pump.

Comment

If the power goes out (and there is another thread on that), I would recommend you drain your equipment. You can always then prime and restart if needed. 1st year I had my pool we had a hard freeze at Thanksgiving. Leaves were still falling so I put into service mode. Came back to frozen lines and pumps. Never again.

I also have 2 bags of salt if I think I need to add to the skimmers to keep them from freezing. Right now, pool is ice free.

Comment

Your booster pump should have water flowing through it with main pump on.

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                            We’ve got a separate booster pump for the cleaner that isn’t part of the freeze protection cycle. Do I need to try and override the freeze protection cycle to keep the booster pump on?

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
                              Waterfalls.......rich people problems!
                              [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Swimming pools.......rich people problems!

Comment

Hard freeze and pools

What’s the lowest temperature the freeze protection is likely good for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by txpitdog; 02-14-2021, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X