I 35 pile up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Czechfish View Post
    It was 24 degrees and we’d had showers moving through since 8 o’clock last night. Common sense isn’t at all common.
    I talked to a guy who went through there 2 minutes before. He said it was dry as a bone until he got a few drops on his windshield and immediately got slick. Less than 3 minutes later that shower came through and a semi truck got sideways and hit a concrete divider and blocked all lanes. This was in the southbound lane at Northside drive. A mile back from that is 28th street, at the top of the hill, and when you top that hill at 28th, you can't see what is below. In a matter of minutes it turned to ice, and when they topped that hill, there was absolutely nothing anyone could do...10mph, or 50mph...they were not stopping.

Terrible thing.

This stuff usually comes from the northwest, which is where I live. I drove from my house to North Ft Worth this morning at 6:00am and turned around to go to my shop about 3 miles north of this accident. I called my guys and told them everything was clear, all roads were dry, and we sent trucks (18 wheelers) out. We got extremely lucky not to have any going that way. We ran trucks all day and hardly saw a slick spot. I have thanked God for that multiple times today. If you've ever sent big trucks out on your insurance, you know what I mean. If you havn't, you ABSOLUTELY DO NOT know what that means, and you never will.

My heart absolutely breaks for those people involved, and they will be inumerable. But this was not a reckless situation. This was a freak situation. I drove all over Tarrant county today from 6am to 4pm and never saw so much as a slick patch.

So save your almighty driving sermons, and your speculation, and all of your pointers. Because I've been on that road a thousand times, and what happened is awful in ways I can't even begin to fathom, and un avoidable...and it's no ones fault but mother nature's.

Pray for those involved, and keep your ignorant opinions to yourself.

Comment

CJ cleared the small wreck and then got right back on this one. Officials said there were 133 vehicles involved. CJ said he hopes he never has to work another one like this. It was sad watching the heavies pick those cars up and sitting on the rollbacks. Like they came off of the crusher at a salvage yard. Watching the news yesterday and they didn't show a person being rescued but spent almost 10 minutes showing a dog getting rescued. A durn dog!
      Last edited by Goldeneagle; 02-12-2021, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        I talked to a guy who went through there 2 minutes before. He said it was dry as a bone until he got a few drops on his windshield and immediately got slick. Less than 3 minutes later that shower came through and a semi truck got sideways and hit a concrete divider and blocked all lanes. This was in the southbound lane at Northside drive. A mile back from that is 28th street, at the top of the hill, and when you top that hill at 28th, you can't see what is below. In a matter of minutes it turned to ice, and when they topped that hill, there was absolutely nothing anyone could do...10mph, or 50mph...they were not stopping.

Terrible thing.

This stuff usually comes from the northwest, which is where I live. I drove from my house to North Ft Worth this morning at 6:00am and turned around to go to my shop about 3 miles north of this accident. I called my guys and told them everything was clear, all roads were dry, and we sent trucks (18 wheelers) out. We got extremely lucky not to have any going that way. We ran trucks all day and hardly saw a slick spot. I have thanked God for that multiple times today. If you've ever sent big trucks out on your insurance, you know what I mean. If you havn't, you ABSOLUTELY DO NOT know what that means, and you never will.

My heart absolutely breaks for those people involved, and they will be inumerable. But this was not a reckless situation. This was a freak situation. I drove all over Tarrant county today from 6am to 4pm and never saw so much as a slick patch.

So save your almighty driving sermons, and your speculation, and all of your pointers. Because I've been on that road a thousand times, and what happened is awful in ways I can't even begin to fathom, and un avoidable...and it's no ones fault but mother nature's.

Amen!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

Terrible thing.

Well said Dale. My son cruises all over Ft. Worth everyday in a rollback. He said this was the only slick spot any of the drivers had seen.

Comment

Where was the sand?

Comment

i was out in it yesterday south of Waco, roads were getting slick....SLOW DOWN!! Roads were icy and people still in a hurry tailgating and running 70+

Comment

I would say, if u ever get involved in anything like this, get out of the vehicle if u can and clear the area to try and avoid getting smashed. Really dont know any other way u could protect yourself in a event like this. Just a very bad situation

Comment

One of my coworkers and good friends was involved with this, he was able to stop in time but got hit after the fact. He said most people including him bailed out of their cars as soon as they were able too.

He also said it was the worst thing he's ever had to see. Prayers to all involved and for the families of the ones who didn't make it.

The guy in the black FJ that got caught between the fedex truck and the ford survived, said he had a big gash on his forehead but was ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrex750 View Post
                    I would say, if u ever get involved in anything like this, get out of the vehicle if u can and clear the area to try and avoid getting smashed. Really dont know any other way u could protect yourself in a event like this. Just a very bad situation
                    Heck yeah. Get out and run like hell.

Comment

Originally posted by jnors06 View Post
                      One of my coworkers and good friends was involved with this, he was able to stop in time but got hit after the fact. He said most people including him bailed out of their cars as soon as they were able too.

He also said it was the worst thing he's ever had to see. Prayers to all involved and for the families of the ones who didn't make it.

The guy in the black FJ that got caught between the fedex truck and the ford survived, said he had a big gash on his forehead but was ok.
                      Wow, I was certain that person was dead! Sad to see and hard to watch. Also sad to see so many here bash these poor folks. Glad your friend was ok.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                        i was out in it yesterday south of Waco, roads were getting slick....SLOW DOWN!! Roads were icy and people still in a hurry tailgating and running 70+
                        Exactly. Watched the exact same **** in houston at 4 this morning. 33 degrees and rain. Folks running at least 80 across overpasses.

Yes, water doesn't freeze at 33, but all it takes is one degree to make an overpass ice and the vehicle is going 70 mph sideways.

Comment

Speed was definitely a factor. You have to expect slick spots at these temps.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrex750 View Post
                            It was a lesson learned for me after watching those videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                              It was a lesson learned for me after watching those videos.

Same. Used to think it was safer to stay in your car until I saw the 18 wheeler freight train plow through those cars like bowling pins. Better be quick on your feet though.

Comment

Originally posted by Czechfish View Post
                                It was 24 degrees and we’d had showers moving through since 8 o’clock last night. Common sense isn’t at all common.
                                I drive this same stretch daily and yesterday the highway to that point was completely fine, no slick spots whatsoever. All of traffic was rollin 65-70 just like a normal day. Common sense had nothing to do with this.

Comment

Working...
                                X