Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remodel advice/question on selling house.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right now it’s a sellers market in many places. Depending on price range with upgrades you are thinking, you will most likely get into a multiple offer situation if you are in a good location with reputable school system.

I may have missed it above but if it’s a tub/shower combo I wouldn’t touch it unless it’s really stained/scratched & old school tile color patterns

Definitely pull carpet & go in with a nice vinyl plank
    Fresh paint job throughout the house is always a good tip especially with neutral type light greys or light beige/tans
    Repair any obvious eye sores both interior & exterior
    Another quick not so expensive replace my is nice new kitchen & bathroom faucet & handles
    Shutters on exterior are a good cheap addition
    Good luck

Comment

I listed a house last summer and the owner did a few upgrades to it. New owner came in abd basically ripoed new upgrades out and redid the way they wanted.

Another I listed we just werent getting offers December 2019. Took it off the market, owner did about 20k in upgrades, relisted it and raised sale price by 30k and got above list price.

Catch-22

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
        I listed a house last summer and the owner did a few upgrades to it. New owner came in abd basically ripoed new upgrades out and redid the way they wanted.

Another I listed we just werent getting offers December 2019. Took it off the market, owner did about 20k in upgrades, relisted it and raised sale price by 30k and got above list price.

Catch-22

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
        I think this is spot on as it really depends on the buyer.

Some people are looking for a turn-key, move-in ready type of home that is upgraded and needs little attention.

Other people may want to upgrade themselves and add their own touch. Or the home barely fits their budget and they are good with what is there.

In my opinion, I'd go ahead and do a few upgrades. The walk-in shower would be a great selling point. I'd also look at pulling the carpet and upgrading the flooring and also re-painting (and repairing sheetrock as necessary) the walls to a neutral color if they aren't already. That's just my opinion. I think there are more buyers out there that prefer to not to have to make a lot of upgrades to a home right after moving in.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
          Honestly, just a shower in the master might be turnoff for a woman. Personally, i would leave it the way it is. When we sold our house this past year our realtor said not to offer X dollars for upgrades. Either do it or drop the price. Replacing the carpet with a decent vinyl or tile flooring would be better.
          X2, from a realtor's perspective.

Comment

Well, it looks like I will start with ripping out the carpet and putting in tile in master bath room.

Comment

I guess a light color is better than dark?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                I guess a light color is better than dark?
                Everything is light these days. Generally don't go square either. Certainly not 12"x12".

Comment

yeah I was looking at 8 x 24 or something of that nature. We're gonna go look at tile tomorrow.

Comment

If the market stays at what it is right now it doesn’t matter what you do , your house will sell for asking or above.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
                      If the market stays at what it is right now it doesn’t matter what you do , your house will sell for asking or above.
                      It is absolutely nuts! I have a friend that listed their house in central Austin last Friday. Multi-million dollar price-point and they priced it at what I thought was high! They received 38 offers and sold it (cash money) with a 10 day close for 42% over list price!

Comment

Suggestion. If you plan to remodel i would look at houses in your area if nothing else just pictures on realtor.com of some of the new houses being built and sold to get an idea of what is the new FAD...

It is truly a catch 22. some people want to do it their way. And some buyers want things to be updated and move in ready.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                          Everything is light these days. Generally don't go square either. Certainly not 12"x12".
                          why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                            Suggestion. If you plan to remodel i would look at houses in your area if nothing else just pictures on realtor.com of some of the new houses being built and sold to get an idea of what is the new FAD...

It is truly a catch 22. some people want to do it their way. And some buyers want things to be updated and move in ready.
                            I'm in the sticks. Not any building going on in my area. A house fairly close(1 mile) sold and the new folks spent months and $$$ getting it to their liking. House was not cheap either.

Hopefully the market stays hot and & I can sell and build a retirement house.

Comment

My experience is that you can't know what the next woman that lives there will want. I would fix anything that needs fixed and then leave it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                                David- If you are not going to full remodels it is not worth it. If you remodel the entire master suite and other bathrooms with all matching floors/ counters/ etc it can pay off. Kitchen is same way- Unless you are going to do all new cabinets/ countertops/appliances/ lighting etc it often times will not make up the difference. If you do it dont do it with what you like- Go tour houses and remodel to current custom homes. We put free standing vestibule sink with a faucet that was like a waterfall. Neither of us liked it- we had viewings and realtor feedback was that people loved that set up. It is popular with the celebrity remodels folks from Waco
                                This is my strategy. When we sell a property it is either completely updated or as-is. You will not get your money out of partially updating a house.

Comment

Working...
                                X