No announcement yet.

? for retired teachers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm retiring in June,after 28 years.....I'm not even considering SS into my retirement.

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by DJM View Post
      I'm retiring in June,after 28 years.....I'm not even considering SS into my retirement.

DJ
      I did not either. Wife paid in and is waiting until she turns 70 to get $1000 per month more SS. Between our annuities and mutual funds, we should be able to live comfortably for a long time. THAT IS if this current administration does not destroy everything first!

I am just PO'ed that you pay into something and then the crooks in Washington do not want to give you back what you paid in but they can dang sure steal from it!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
        I am only getting a payment off of what I put into SS. I only get a little over $600 a month. You should read the entire thread!
        Ask someone that put into SS for 30 years and see whst there retirement is. A heck of a lot more than $600!
        So you worked for 30 years FT paying into SS while also being a teacher? Or Did you work 30 years PT paying into it?

Comment

I am confused. How many years did you pay into SS and TRS?

Because obviously you didn't pay into both full time for your entire work life, so you shouldn't get full on either. Double dipping

Comment

The Windfall Elimination Provision sucks. I didn't start teaching until I was 50. If I work until 70, I get full retirement from trs, but my 30 years of ss gets cut almost in half. WTH.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't believe that is correct Gemini. I believe you will get full unless I'm misinformed.

Comment

I see the non-educators here don't have a clue about this situation. They are just guessing and making false statements. I am out of this thread before I get in trouble.

Comment

DANG. Some of you need to read the start of this thread.

NO I did not pay into SS for very long as I was self employed for most of those years. I only paid inot TRS for 8 years as the first 3 years I taught starting in 1975, I took out the pittance I had in TRS thinking I would never teach again. Low and behold after working for myself for many, many years I got back into teachin in 2012 as a TA and then a full time teacher for 5 years. Hence I do not draw much for either, BUT I paid in my share for the time I did.

I am like Sabinehunter, some of you are blowing BS!

Comment

Originally posted by Cookiemonster1 View Post
                    I don't believe that is correct Gemini. I believe you will get full unless I'm misinformed.
                    You are misinformed.

There will be a reduction

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                      DANG. Some of you need to read the start of this thread.

NO I did not pay into SS for very long as I was self employed for most of those years. I only paid inot TRS for 8 years as the first 3 years I taught starting in 1975, I took out the pittance I had in TRS thinking I would never teach again. Low and behold after working for myself for many, many years I got back into teachin in 2012 as a TA and then a full time teacher for 5 years. Hence I do not draw much for either, BUT I paid in my share for the time I did.

I am like Sabinehunter, some of you are blowing BS!
                      SO that makes perfect sense. You didn't pay into close to a full amount on either. So payments should be and will be reduced.

I assume you didn't check into this before making the decision to leave education, as you didn't when you got back in.

Comment

Please enlighten me. I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box but I have studied this some.

Comment

Sounds like becuase you changed careers a couple of times, along with being self employed, withdrawal of initial TRS retirement your benefit options are limited. I think over the next 20 years due to increased cost of living, medical expenses, etc.. there is going to be a wave of people that are not going to be able to financially retire.

Comment

Wow, this is unbelievable. Take money from hard working people that werent paid enough to begin with. They probably had to do this to fund some social program that gives money to people that dont work. I can not believe anyone has any faith in anything controled by the government. It is to the point where I am not counting on receiving any SS when I retire even though I will contribute hundreds of thousands of dollars to it.

Comment

It is my understanding that if you retire from TRS you will have a reduction in your SS benefits even though you have the quarters needed. It is also my understanding that at 20 yrs of putting into SS triggers a sliding scale on that reduction that at 30 years of putting into SS allows you to receive full benefits from SS. Is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Cookiemonster1 View Post
                                Please enlighten me. I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box but I have studied this some.
                                Reread #9 and start there for enlightenment.

Comment

Working...
                                X