? for retired teachers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
    Texas is a limited number of states that call it a windfall, lol. If you are a full-time teacher your whole career, you went into it knowing that you wouldn't get SS. That said, if you went into teaching, retired, then got another high-paying job where you would get SS benefits, they'll cap you and call it a windfall. Most states don't take away what you have earned and call it windfall elimination, lol.

The rules are complex enough that you'll need to schedule with a TRS rep to get a clear number. All of my teaching friends went through alternative teaching certification and had prior careers so they have had some amount (or all) of their prior SS earnings either eliminated or reduced.
    I disagree. SS is a Fed program and they are the ones cutting my SS payments, not TRS or Texas. It's the Feds that are putting the screws to us. Most other teachers in other states pay into the SS, Texas is a rarity.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
      I disagree. SS is a Fed program and they are the ones cutting my SS payments, not TRS or Texas. It's the Feds that are putting the screws to us. Most other teachers in other states pay into the SS, Texas is a rarity.

But the not paying into SS is a district thing. They save money by not having to match SS. There are a few districts that pay SS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
        But the not paying into SS is a district thing. They save money by not having to match SS. There are a few districts that pay SS.
        Yes, Galveston ISD is one.

Comment

Are you getting your full SS amount or is that reduced amount because of TR.
          This is the full amount. I started drawing it before I retired from teaching.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
            Why are they crooks? Didnt you know it going into this career choice? Not being an ahole. Just wondering.

From my understanding don't you get one or the other?

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
              This is the full amount. I started drawing it before I retired from teaching.
              Either way, why is the irs involved. Wouldn't it be just a ss problem where they reduce your monthly payment until it's payed back? If you have to pay it back wouldn't your annual income go down for those years and the irs owe you? Sorry your in this predicament for such a small amount.

Comment

Either way, why is the irs involved. Wouldn't it be just a ss problem where they reduce your monthly payment until it's payed back? If you have to pay it back wouldn't your annual income go down for those years and the irs owe you? Sorry your in this predicament for such a small amount.
                My mistake on the IRS, it is just SS.

Comment

work for the University of Texas system and we are under the TRS. My wife will retire in May and me, somewhere else down the line. We pay in to SS and when we retire, we receive both without any reduction. I depends on whether or not your employer (district) pays into SS in addition to your TRS.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                    I understand your question. First, they passed this law after I became a teacher.
                    Second, what does it matter since I worked enough quarters with enough pay in to get $1900/mo. I earned that and it is mine. Now, because I am getting retirement from TRS, they want to cut THEIR obligation to me in half? If I retired from Kroger, I would get that full amount. That, is why I say they are crooks. I earned the $1900/mo.
                    I don't know why, how, etc but you can't draw both.

Comment

Originally posted by dcbrown View Post
                      work for the University of Texas system and we are under the TRS. My wife will retire in May and me, somewhere else down the line. We pay in to SS and when we retire, we receive both without any reduction. I depends on whether or not your employer (district) pays into SS in addition to your TRS.
                      Yall both work at UTA?

Comment

I'm in the same boat. They changed a lot of the rules after I started teaching. And it is unfair. I earned the SS just like I earned TR. Someone else can work the same amount of time I did putting into SS and get the full SS benefit having never worked a day more than I did. Because I chose to work in another job I get penalized.

I'd check this. TR doesn't get cut. You get 2.3% per year times X number of years.

I'll retire this year after 20 years as a teacher. My wife and I will retire the same day.
                        The lunch ladies have or had different "rules" than teachers. When Alecia retired 7 years ago, it was a pissing match between TRS and SS on who would pay how much. It was a cluster and yes, both got cut.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                          Yall both work at UTA?
                          Yes, sir

Comment

they cut my SS a little over half because I recieve TRS!!

Comment

So you expect full SS for only working the mininum number of years to qualify. SS only works when you have people working and paying into the system for 30 years. If you only worked 10 years (minimum) then you should get a partial entitlement.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                                So you expect full SS for only working the mininum number of years to qualify. SS only works when you have people working and paying into the system for 30 years. If you only worked 10 years (minimum) then you should get a partial entitlement.
                                I am only getting a payment off of what I put into SS. I only get a little over $600 a month. You should read the entire thread!
                                Ask someone that put into SS for 30 years and see whst there retirement is. A heck of a lot more than $600!

Comment

Working...
                                X