No announcement yet.

High School Baseball 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At my son's school, the baseball coach will not let guys who are playing basketball even tryout until hoops season is over. The have basketball practice in the mornings and baseball in the afternoon. So at 3:00pm when the baseball team is practicing, he's only able to hit and throw on his own at the house. Totally ridiculous!

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
      At my son's school, the baseball coach will not let guys who are playing basketball even tryout until hoops season is over. The have basketball practice in the mornings and baseball in the afternoon. So at 3:00pm when the baseball team is practicing, he's only able to hit and throw on his own at the house. Totally ridiculous!
      This is the norm at 6A schools for the most part FYI...

Comment

Originally posted by tytoo24 View Post
        Yes cause every kid hit .500 in travel ball and hit 90 every time they pitched. Then when they get to high school season, they cant even throw a ball 90 feet. That was a pretty crappy statement for you to make.

I think his statement is pretty accurate. My sons summer team from last year would destroy our high school team and it was made up of all freshmen. I believe there are only 3 kids on the high school team that even play outside of school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tonyt79 View Post
          I think his statement is pretty accurate. My sons summer team from last year would destroy our high school team and it was made up of all freshmen. I believe there are only 3 kids on the high school team that even play outside of school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          A couple things, his statement was ridiculous and if you only have 3 kids playing on teams outside of the HS team you probably are not a very good. So yea the summer team probably could beat the HS team.

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
            This is the norm at 6A schools for the most part FYI...
            but this is a 4A school... Lots of kids playing baseball and I could understand it more if the basketball coach was saying no, but its the baseball coach. Makes no sense, especially when there is no practice conflicts.

I can understand basketball taking priority, but let the kids practice when they can.

Comment

but this is a 4A school... Lots of kids playing baseball and I could understand it more if the basketball coach was saying no, but its the baseball coach. Makes no sense, especially when there is no practice conflicts.

I can understand basketball taking priority, but let the kids practice when they can.
              My apologies, I thought you were at Atascocita.

Comment

My apologies, I thought you were at Atascocita.
                I am. My wife teaches in Huffman and our kids to go school there.

They do have nearly 30 kids out for the JV team, so it's like a 6A.

Comment

Originally posted by jabel View Post
                  Got the call from the assistant principal before lunch saying my boy is being sent home to quarantine because of close contact with one of his workout partners who tested positive! This really stinks the day before practice is set to begin. He is a junior 3B/ P who will probably be the ace of the Lorena staff. We are all set with 9 starters returning. Should be a fun year in 17-3A!
                  I was hoping to watch Lorena play in football this year. ONe of my high school coaches coach there.

Originally posted by gspbrad View Post
                  Hoping for a great season for all the players. Hoping their season isn't canceled this spring.

Disappointing how much of a drop off there is playing for a HS team vs summer teams. Seems like most of the HS coaches are history teachers who coach vs being great coaches. There's a gap in coaches knowing how much more ready most of these kids are.

It's painful to watch a kid with upper 90s exit velo sac bunt 14 ABs in a row to move a runner from 1st to 2B with no outs and the hitter and base runner are sub 7 sixty guys. It's just dumb, but that's HS baseball.

This high school baseball coach is a health teacher. The head coach is a science teacher. I coach baseball just like I do my other two sports.... While there is going to be a gap in some, the problem with high school baseball is the push for travel ball during the season.

Couple years ago when the pitch count got put on us, we had a kid who pitched on a friday night for around 90 pitches. He went to travel ball on saturday and threw 100 more..... Dont tell me their is a gap when this is happening all the time.

High School coaches care about their athletes.... Can the same be said for travel ball coaches?

Comment

I sure miss these days with my oldest. Good luck to everyone

Comment

My kid's school is 3A and they don't let the basketball guys work out for baseball until basketball is over. I thought it was more of a respect thing. Would hate for basketball star to get hit by a pitch and not be able to play in the basketball playoffs. Same with no basketball practice for football players until football is over. Heck it may even be a UIL rule but I'm not sure. I know you are only allowed to practice so many hours a week.

Comment

Originally posted by gspbrad View Post
                        Hoping for a great season for all the players. Hoping their season isn't canceled this spring.

Disappointing how much of a drop off there is playing for a HS team vs summer teams. Seems like most of the HS coaches are history teachers who coach vs being great coaches. There's a gap in coaches knowing how much more ready most of these kids are.

It's painful to watch a kid with upper 90s exit velo sac bunt 14 ABs in a row to move a runner from 1st to 2B with no outs and the hitter and base runner are sub 7 sixty guys. It's just dumb, but that's HS baseball.
                        What an asinine statement! But I see that you have not been back to this thread since you posted that BS. Sometimes, I feel sorry for people who just talk to hear their own voice because they have no one else to listen to the stuff they spew out of their mouth.

And this high school baseball coach is a special education and math teacher, so there's that. The difference is is that I care about your son as a person, a human being, and the overall kid. Travel ball coaches care about the money.
                        Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 02-02-2021, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                          What an asinine statement! But I see that you have not been back to this thread since you posted that BS. Sometimes, I feel sorry for people who just talk to hear their own voice because they have no one else to listen to the stuff they spew out of their mouth.

And this high school baseball coach is a special education and math teacher, so there's that. The difference is is that I care about your son as a person, a human being, and the overall kid. Travel ball coaches care about the money.
                          How do you think a travel ball coach would feel about your last sentence?

I bet he was speaking in generalities, just like you were.

Comment

The comment about seeing a major drop off from summer select to HS really depends on the talent in the area & school & coaching as well
                            My son played on a select team of 16 & 17 yr olds this summer but ain’t no way they could beat our local HS team my son will play for. A lot of the select kids came from more rural smaller towns around the area because they didn’t have options in their local towns. Most play for smaller school programs where they face 75-80 off the mound as a norm.

Our local HS team has a guy topping 92-93 mph as a lefty
                            Last yr our team faced a local school with two lefties one hitting 90 mph & the other could touch 92 mph

In our case our local HS team has more depth & talent which may not be the case for all areas

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post

Nice post, any chance you coach with Hutch?

Comment

Nice post, any chance you coach with Hutch?
                                No sir, I dont coach with him. Not yet anyway. He is a good dude. I have talked to him on a few occasions.

Comment

Working...
                                X