Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

2021 San Angelo surrounding area season thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simek View Post
    My son put a good shot on this busted up Irion County buck. We had him on camera pretty regularly, and we speculated he was old. His teeth confirmed he was at least 6.5 YO. My son was super happy. Viva November!

[ATTACH]1072103[/ATTACH]
    Can't beat this!

Rwc

Comment

Good lord!! Looks like the past couple weeks have been awesome! Congrats everyone.

Comment

I was able to get out and check game cameras last Friday. It looked like last week there was a lot more movement from older mature bucks than there had been all season. Anyone else seeing that?

Comment

My son put a good shot on this busted up Irion County buck. We had him on camera pretty regularly, and we speculated he was old. His teeth confirmed he was at least 6.5 YO. My son was super happy. Viva November!

[ATTACH]1072103[/ATTACH]
          Fantastic!!

Comment

Awesome. Congrats to your son on the Irion County buck.

Comment

That is awesome Jack. Congrats! I love that he was a surprise and a 163" at that. It reminds me of the "old days" before trail cameras and almost everything was a surprise.
              Can't wait to see what you get next year... Three-peat!

[QUOTE=KactusKiller;15959961]Had some luck this weekend out west. It’s been really slow for me in all my spots this yr. my main targets were no shows or got broke up early. I had started hand Corning a spot no where near any other feeders and placed a popup. With mainly doe showing I was starting to get discouraged but with the rut in full swing I thought it was only a matter of time before something showed up. I got to lease with only about an hr before feed times so I decided to go straight to hand corn spot and change in the field. I pulled cam card when I got to stand and still only 2-3 small bucks and mainly doe. So my hopes were not high as I settled in. After an hr few doe slipped in. Then they start looking behind me and I start to hear the sound no hunter ever wants to hear. A cow is feeding in right behind the blind. She makes her way to my hand corn and proceeds to help herself. Strangely the doe continue to eat at a safe distance but the cow is right in the middle of the hand corn. Then about 60yds out I see y’all tines moving in. It was a tall 8-9point and immediately knew it was a shooter. As he passed back and forth through the trees I was triaging to age him. The deer would never commit to feeding in. FINALLY the cow decided to move up some allowing the deee to fill in. By now there was 8-10 doe/fawn, one small 8 and the tall buck. Suddenly he appeared 15 yrds to the right. I still had my pin on 30yds so had planned to aim low as I didn’t have time to adjust. He was head in at 18yds but I decided to draw not knowing if he would stand still long. I turned right giving me a broadside shot and I squeezed off. Usually I video every shot I take but this time my camera was dead. I release the arrow and it disappears, he kicks and runs off, I hear some brush break. I have no idea where my shot landed. It I can see my arriving laying right where he was standing usually meaning solid hit. After trying to scare off the doe who had filtered back in I go to the shot location. I see immediate blood spray. After a short track job I find him 60yrds away. **** was low but did the job quickly. I knew he was big but his body looked small compared to most our deer. This gave me worries about rack size and age. I got loaded easy as he was only 141# live weight which is extremely light for deer in our area. I made the shaky celebration texts. I estimated low to mid 150.
              After some official LDP(bone thing style) pics we took a tape to him. Ended up 163” even.
              Two 160” deer in consecutive yrs. what an absolute blessing. Can’t thank everyone enough for all the help.

Comment

I have been hunting the last few days and it seems odd.

I have seen a few bucks running solo and later in the morning 9:30ish and early in the afternoon, around 4. Nothing is jumping into feeder pens. Last night I had a group of 6 doe walk within 10 yards of me and not blow out. I had thought the scale was tipping in my favor but no bucks followed. Maybe our buck to doe ratio is doe heavy?

I have seen some juvenile bucks running does hard. I suppose the roller coaster continues of the rut. Good luck!

Comment

[ATTACH]1072103[/ATTACH]
                  Congratulations to your son Chris, that’s a cool looking buck!

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                    I was also finally able to seal the deal with my recurve. I have hunted off and on with it since 2008 but really put forth the effort this year to try and seal the deal. The slippery does have given me the Matrix treatment a couple weeks ago so this week I decided to aim completely under the armpit in anticipation. She ducked into the shot and it worked out great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on your first trad kill Jack!!!!!

Please post the story and pic in the Trad Harvest thread in the Traditional forum.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    Last edited by Bisch; 11-30-2021, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Longtime bird hunting and fishing buddy came out with me this weekend to shoot a management buck. His biggest deer before this weekend was a spike. We planned on 3 days to hopefully get it done. Hunt one at 5:15pm and we are done. [emoji23][emoji23]. Solid mgmt 7 hit the dirt. His biggest deer by far. Neck was huge too! Needless to say he was pumped with a major adrenaline dump [emoji23]

Last edited by Smart; 12-02-2021, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Well done, Fellas….Congrats to David!!!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Old monarch there, congrats to him

Comment

Awesome buck! Congrats to y’all Smart!

Comment

That sure looks like a 7 I had devoted a little bit of time to a couple weeks back

Comment

Working...
                                X