Texas Sized Hog Trap - Round 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
    I went back and watched this. It was really hard to see it. Can you post pictures or a different video of it? It doesn't need pigs in it to show how it works next to the trailer. My trailer sits up about twice as high as normal stock trailers, too, so I'm sure the easiest thing to do for loading would be to build a ramp.
    Sorry just saw this.

Other than the babies, they will jump 20+" high to load up in a trailer. The other one I use is much higher than a standard livestock trailer. I used to use a metal craftsman toolbox with window weights in it and they would use it for a step. You can make a ramp if you want.

The chute is +/-27" wide, keeps the bigger ones from turning around once they are in there. It has a simple drop gate at one end and is open at the other except for panel up to about 14". The open end wires to the trailer, or you can just butt up to it. Usually once the first one goes in they go straight to the front of the trailer and everyone else follows. The key is making them feel like they are getting away from you.

This is the only other video I have, as it stays out with the trap in the field. I added some round stock to make the gate drop without hanging up. I also cut the hooks off the top, they weren't necessary.

Comment

Still no hogs.

Perhaps... it is because I sprayed roundup last summer and again this spring to kill as much grass as possible to prepare for planting native grasses. Every spot that I can reach with a big tractor and boom sprayer is brown and about 1" high. I started planting this week. Maybe as the summer comes on and late summer with the goat weed they will come back. Otherwise, I'm sorely disappointed.

Comment

No hogs yet?

Comment

I have been talking about doing this for years, we have 2 large cattle working pens on our place, it would be really easy to turn them into giant pig traps, would have loading chute too.

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
            No hogs yet?
            Yeah, so let me explain what happened.

In September, we sprayed the entire acreage with Roundup to prep for native grass seeding. Then we sprayed again in March and seeded. So since October there literally has been nothing to eat and very little cover. So no hogs.

But... they are starting to reappear because of the rain fall. And the goat weed is growing well. I imagine by the end of summer the hogs will be back enjoying the tall goat weed. I'll go back to setting it to.

So this year was a draw - I didn't get any but they didn't have anything to eat from me either.

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
            I have been talking about doing this for years, we have 2 large cattle working pens on our place, it would be really easy to turn them into giant pig traps, would have loading chute too.
            Do it! That's how I got inspired that it would work. A cattleman in Navasota along the river had a 2 acre cattle trap that he put a swing gate on. The first weekend he trapped 98 hogs!

Comment

I think you are seeing actual results from eliminating all those sows. Lots of pigs that never grew up to breed. Good job.

Comment

Working...
              X